AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Madball - 08.01.12

Interviewed by
Madball - 08.01.12Madball is a legendary NYC hardcore band. We got to speak with Freddy Madball and we're honored to have a guy so entrenched in the hardcore community able to speak with us.

1. Introduce yourself.

What's up? I'm Freddy Madball.

2. You have your new EP Rebellion out right now on your own label. Madball has been around for over 20 years, what's the biggest challenge with writing new material?

The biggest challenge is trying to stay current/relevant while still maintaining the sound we're known for. I think we've done a decent job of it, thus far. But, like with anything...you can never please everyone. Some will say we've evolved too much. Some say too little. I like to think we're on the right track - that's evident by the diversity of our crowd, young and old school. To each his own...But we have to stay true to ourselves.

3. The production is extremely raw but perfectly fits the band's style. Even though the technology is present, have you tried going with a more "digital" or refined recording style? If so, why didn't you want to go with it?

Thanks. Mission accomplished. I mean, we did use modern methods but wanted it to be more raw. It's still big enough to hang with other heavy stuff I think. So yeah I'm super happy with the approach we took.

4. The standout track for me on the EP is "Beast." Where did the lyrical inspiration come from?

Thanks again. The inspiration came from a friend who was battling anxiety and depression and the unfortunate "darkness" that comes with it. Don't know, I heard the song and that's what I felt like writing about. I've also been there so I could easily relate. I don't suffer from that chronically - not that I know of...ha. But all kidding aside that's a rough road to travel through for anyone.

5. There have been so many legendary hardcore bands that have come and gone. What do you think keeps Madball relevant and able to be an active band in 2012?

Our youthfulness! Haha..

6. Just as you were growing up in the hardcore community, older bands were giving younger acts advice opportunities. Have you been mentoring or helping out any newer bands?

I was fortunate to grow up and actually have a sibling who's a pioneer of the NY scene (Ed. note - his brother is Roger Miret, frontman of Agnostic Front). So my case is unique. I definitely have no problem passing on what I know about "the biz". I have a management company as well - BNB management.

7. You re-recorded two very old songs, "Get Out" and "It's My Life." Why did you choose them and can you still relate to the lyrics now like you did back when you wrote them?

We re-did them because we felt they fit the theme of doing an EP. Not to mention, they are pretty popular live and I was a kid when I recorded them, so I thought I can make them more current re-doing them as an adult. I did not write the lyrics. I didn't know about song writing then. I'm not sure who did - Vinnie or Roger...maybe even someone else? I actually can relate still even though they are pretty silly when you break them down. It's more about the vibe then the actual depth of lyrics with those old songs. It's still making a statement.

8. Releasing the EP on your own label, what freedoms and opportunities were you given that you couldn't achieve being on another label?

Freedom is the key word. My ultimate goal is to put out all my/our own music in the very near future. These are the first steps. This is something we've built from the ground up for 20 some odd years...We can't be at the mercy of what's happening to the "industry." With technology moving at the pace it's moving, don't be surprised to see a lot of established bands taking the same route. I'm basically cutting out the middle man and that's what I feel is the best case scenario for us and our supporters. The quality of the music will not suffer one bit.

9. What are the band's plans for the rest of 2012?

We have Europe again in August - a few festivals and some club dates. Then a few one offs when we get back. We are in talks about something cool in the fall...And we'll be writing for a new album as well.

10. Anything else to say?

Hardcores lives!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News