AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Songs For The Sleepwalkers- Our Rehearsed Spontaneous... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Songs For The Sleepwalkers- Our Rehearsed Spontaneous...

Reviewed by: Vance Mook (08/03/12)
Songs For The Sleepwalkers- Our Rehearsed Spontaneous Reactions
Record Label: Paper Wings Records
Release Date: January 10, 2012

Debut albums can be a tricky thing.

With so much riding on first impressions, songwriters and artists often end up releasing material that will stand with them throughout the rest or their careers, or buckle under the pressure. With this is mind, Songs For The Sleepwalkers (solo vehicle for Swedish singer/songwriter Andrea Caccese) have succeeded in creating a memorable and very skilled record.

Most people will know whether or not they are going to enjoy the album by the time they've finished hearing the first track, "Icarus Falling". A great album opener, it begins with finger-picking and some excellent lyrical output. This is indie music; the album is consistent, staying close to the folk sound it's built around. The album doesn't stray too far from the formula, but it doesn't need to. It contains just enough variety to become a confident and comfortable entry in Caccese's career.

"We Are Still Here" does a great job of sticking with the listener, especially on a summer night much like when I first spun the record. In fact, it starts to become downright anthemic after a few listens, almost reminiscent of a Snow Patrol track ("And I am waiting for the stars to shine/I am looking for another start/But I am still here"). "Asleep" is an instrumental interlude, including the sounds of a shower running and some excellent acoustic guitar work. Single "Tell Me How" is the prime cut of the album, bringing the listener in musically with it's fine guitar riff and keeping them hooked both vocally and lyrically.

Caccese's vocal delivery is a bit different, but that's not a bad thing; "Down The Line" will please any Damien Rice fan, and it's definitely a standout track of the record. Lyrically, this album isn't too far ahead of the game, but Caccese's music is very clearly his strong point on the album. "Set The World On Fire" is absolutely beautiful with a string section backing him throughout. "What If I Do" closes out the album naturally and very nicely, sticking true to the album's overall influences.

Songs For The Sleepwalkers have created the perfect album to release first. While there is always room for improvement, this is hardly a downfall; the record is structured and strong. It is short, and to the point. In the end, it will give any listener the chance to discover and become a part of Caccese's future creative journey.

Recommended If You LikeDamien Rice; Iron & Wine; folk-music in general

www.facebook.com/songsforthesleepwalkers

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
03:07 AM on 08/07/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
This Album is very good. I've heard quite a few similarities to Elliot Smith in his music.
08:07 AM on 04/08/13
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
The link is broken for some reason, but this is also available in the band's official Bandcamp.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests