AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Safe Haven - Chasing the Sun Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.25
Production 9
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.83
Musicianship 9.08
Lyrics 8.17
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.08
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.33
Average: 89%

Safe Haven - Chasing the Sun

Reviewed by: thefirewithin (08/04/12)
Safe Haven: Chasing the Sun
Record Label: Live Love Records
Release Date: August 28, 2012

A true case of inspiration is hard to come by. We live in an age where the concept of the raw physical "album" has been hi-jacked by the digital universe and replaced with the cold and heartless single. Today's aspiring musician doesn't even have to be just that, thanks to the MacBook and modern technology. Creating a ten to twelve track collection of cohesive songs has become a formality and even at times... a lost art... but all is never lost...

Enter: Safe Haven- four men fighting for the cause of rock n' roll, their dream that is all but lost. Their third full-length album is a glimmer of hope, a rush of fresh air and without a doubt their strongest release to date. This album is eleven tracks portraying a raw sense of desperation, hope and the honesty of musicians and individuals who have given the troubles and triumphs of life their all. They've captured this collection of songs (that anyone born before 1990 would call an album) on two-inch tape and have appropriately titled it, "Chasing The Sun".

I could give a track by track review of the entire album but that would take away from the journey that is "Chasing The Sun", it's best experienced for one's self. Each track contains a massive amount of heart and is grounded by the emotions of frontman Gil Sandoval. Every aspect of this record is a massive leap forward from their previous efforts and that is obvious from the get go. The songwriting is stronger, the musicianship is tighter and the vocals are more transparent... but each element is not left unto it's own and that's what make this album truly special. It's a cohesive unit of rhythm, crafted guitars, passionate vocals and most importantly... songs that will most likely define what the world will come to know as Safe Haven.

The pinnacle moments of the track listing come at different points and after almost a year spent re-visiting this album... I think I've decided that there is no highest peak. The title track "Chasing The Sun", "Blind" and an acoustic ballad titled "My Recession" are the moments that I connect with most, both on a musical and emotional level. The lyrics of the entire album are simple, accesible and should offer something for almost anyone at any stage in the crazy game that is called life. At times, the simplicity could be considered to be one of the albums only flaws that is easily overlooked. Simplicity is also one of the bands strongest traits. Each element offered by the four members is clearly voiced but also blended in every beat, riff and melody.

Gil Sandoval, Mani Sandoval, Dan Sandoval and Josh Ledezma have hit a stride that some bands never will. They followed their gut, took a chance, defied the odds and collected the pay out in the form of a fantastic album. Your hope will keep your dreams alive... "Chasing The Sun" will convince you of that as it did for me.

Recommended If You Like The Dangerous Summer; Valencia;

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
12:29 PM on 08/06/12
BatmanFletcher
User Info.
I can't wait for this album to be released. I think it's great that they made it even though everyone told them not to. They are GREAT live, too. Solid guys. This album is going to be sweet.
12:41 PM on 08/06/12
satanisanerd
User Info.
I love this album and band so much. Great job guys!
02:33 PM on 08/06/12
ChrisD2011
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm so looking forward to this album. Great review. Their last album was pretty good. Can't wait to hear this one tho.
05:55 PM on 08/06/12
ranchymanchez
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The first thing that comes to my mind is....FINALLY! This record may have been a long time in coming, but it is such a complete work of art start to finish. Nothing was left untouched. Buy this record. You will not regret it.

Favorites:
Home
Chasing the Sun
Blind
09:00 PM on 08/06/12
handlikesecret
inverted-album-art.tumblr.com
User Info.
these guys know what they're doing for sure. I mean, yeah, they don't bring a ton of new stuff to the table. but I still sincerely enjoyed this record, partially because these guys' passion flows out of every song.

and "Traveling Salesmen" is just killer. awesome review.
09:06 AM on 08/07/12
ChrisD2011
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is the album leaked somewhere? or was there a preview listen i missed or something?? I'd love to hear some of these songs if so Hook me up anyone?
04:08 PM on 08/07/12
swtrach3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I know the band and without a doubt they have worked their butts to get this album out to us and I couldn't be more stoked for it to be released at the end of this month! If it is any representation of who they are as people, what they love to do and their talents/skills combined - it will be awesome!! Yeah...you can hear a few seconds here and there with the video Teasers they've been posting on their facebook (www.facebook.com/safehavenrock) - but no doubt what's to come is even greater!!

They did an acoustic version last night including one of their new songs...and if you any fellow Arizonians came out...you would've been floored just like I was.
06:04 PM on 08/07/12
thefirewithin
In Exile
User Info.
Is the album leaked somewhere? or was there a preview listen i missed or something?? I'd love to hear some of these songs if so Hook me up anyone?
No leak yet.... A few media outlets were give copies for review. They're releasing the first single on Thursday, you'll def wanna check it out... It's amazing. www.facebook.com/safehavenrock
10:14 AM on 08/09/12
takingback93
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm stoked to hear the whole album - the new stuff they've played live is awesome. These guys are on the brink of blowing up, and no one deserves it more than they do. God Bless
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version