Password
Recommended News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Recommended
Inside AP.net

Staff Recommendations: August 5th, 2012

Posted by: Blake Solomon (08/04/12)
Well it was a big to-do.
BlakeI got into a weird and oddly philosophical (for me, at least) conversation about Weezer the other day, and have been spinning them non-stop. The Blue Album, Pinkerton, Raditude and Maladroit, to be exact. Lots of great stuff, and "Trampoline" from Death to False Metal is also a gem. Never been a big fan, but I'm digging now, especially after engrossing myself in lots of backstory. Love it when that happens.
Ryan GardnerSleeping With Sirens, The Moon Is Down obviously, Handwritten, and The American Scene. Oh and I'm super late on this, but seriously, go listen to The Front Bottoms now.
Adam Pfleidercloakroom consists of three factory workers from the Region.
Craig ManningI'm still spending a lot of time with Handwritten, but beyond that, my listening has been dominated by a mix of both new or upcoming releases (the new Jens Lekman is heartbreaking, Joshua Radin's Underwater is terrific, Passion Pit's Gossamer just gets better and better) and records from 2010 (Chad Perrone's Release, Arcade Fire's The Suburbs, The National's High Violet) for a retrospective piece I'm doing on my blog. Oh, and always Will Hoge.
Jason GardnerBeen on a heavy kick lately, namely Loma Prieta and Gaza. My car rides have been dominated by Protest the Hero's Fortress though.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 63
10:26 PM on 08/04/12
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
REUBEN'S ACCOMPLICE

10:37 PM on 08/04/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
jamming this one too

10:42 PM on 08/04/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Guess I need to actually check out Weezer's discog now. I've really only ever spent time with their "hits"

Oh and I'm super late on this, but seriously, go listen to The Front Bottoms now

10:55 PM on 08/04/12
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
I was first introduced to Weezer back when my parents bought a Packard-Bell PC with Windows 95 on it. The video for 'Buddy Holly' (arguably one of the best music videos ever made) was preloaded on the machine. Ever since then Weezer has been a favorite.

That said, I haven't really liked any of their albums post Maladroit (an underrated album which hopefully anytime now will gain a cult following, similar to the way Pinkerton did years after it was released). There are a few jams here and there on Make Believe and the rest that I dig... particularly the video edit of the song 'Perfect Situation.'
11:11 PM on 08/04/12
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Can never get over how underrated Make Believe it, haha.
11:57 PM on 08/04/12
Mochem
User Info.
Can never get over how underrated Make Believe it, haha.
People seem to really hate that album, but, off the top of my head, Perfect Situation and Hold Me are really good Weezer songs. I don't think any of the other songs on there are super terrible for what they are. They don't really compare to any of the first couple of albums, but I've made my peace with it.

And my recommendation is watching women's handball in the Olympics and rooting for Norway.
12:52 AM on 08/05/12
mosquitone
User Info.
I was first introduced to Weezer back when my parents bought a Packard-Bell PC with Windows 95 on it. The video for 'Buddy Holly' (arguably one of the best music videos ever made) was preloaded on the machine. Ever since then Weezer has been a favorite.

That said, I haven't really liked any of their albums post Maladroit (an underrated album which hopefully anytime now will gain a cult following, similar to the way Pinkerton did years after it was released). There are a few jams here and there on Make Believe and the rest that I dig... particularly the video edit of the song 'Perfect Situation.'
Haha, I totally had that Windows Backup CD-ROM with that video and the game Hover. Great stuff.

If anyone hasn't heard the entirety of Weezer's first album, please get on that shit. It's perfection.
03:08 AM on 08/05/12
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
Skinny Puppy (RIYL: Bands that have ripped off Skinny Puppy like Nine Inch Nails)

03:24 AM on 08/05/12
ItsDanixx
User Info.
Pinkerton is such a great album.
03:32 AM on 08/05/12
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
03:33 AM on 08/05/12
JinxRemoving
User Info.
Joshua Radin - Underwater
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Fang Island - S/T
05:04 AM on 08/05/12
J.Dick
User Info.
People seem to really hate that album, but, off the top of my head, Perfect Situation and Hold Me are really good Weezer songs. I don't think any of the other songs on there are super terrible for what they are. They don't really compare to any of the first couple of albums, but I've made my peace with it.

And my recommendation is watching women's handball in the Olympics and rooting for Norway.

Make Believe has some terrible lyrics.
05:24 AM on 08/05/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Anchor & Braille - The Quiet Life
Cat Power - Sun
Desaparecidos - "MariKKKopa" / "Backsell"
The Fresh & Onlys - Long Slow Dance
Ice Choir - Afar
Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't
Mount Eerie - Ocean Roar
Paper Route - The Peace of Wild Things
Yeasayer - Fragrant World

Leaks this week were amazing.
06:12 AM on 08/05/12
justsurrendrfan
jsfan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Raditude and Make Believe and underrated horribley. While The Blue Album and Pinkerton are their best albums these two are in the second tier of great albums. I never cared for The Red Album or Hurley too much though
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests