AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

White Clouds and Gunfire - 07.31.12

Interviewed by
White Clouds and Gunfire - 07.31.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

White Clouds and Gunfire

http://www.facebook.com/wcagf

1. How did you get your band name?
The name comes from the Broadway musical South Pacific. It's such a powerful play that we decided to take a line out of it and use it for our name.

2. How did this band get started?
We all grew up living pretty close to each other and all had involvement in music from an early age. When other projects fell apart it just made sense to come together. I think we'd all agree that we've never been so passionate about a project than we have about White Clouds.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Our influences range from the old school rock feel of Hendrix and Guns N Roses to the commercial pop vibes of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. Modern day bands we take influence from include the likes of We Are The In Crowd, All Time Low, Deaf Havana, Four Year Strong, etc

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I think it would be awesome to tour with The Rolling Stones. If there's anyone who knows how to party it's Keith Richards and co.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
It's important to have a balance of healthy food but also trying to keep it cheap. We try and have some fruit for breakfast, usually skip lunch while catching some zzz's in the van and then fill up on whatever fast food is available after the shows.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We are all very passionate about what we do; we create music that makes us happy and hopefully does the same for our audience. It's catchy, energetic, bouncy and fun and hopefully gets people's feet tapping at the shows.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

It would have to be Usain Bolt - that man is un-naturally fast!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Well that's easy.... The first people to thank would be anyone who has bought a cd, came to a show and generally shown us support. Without a good fan base a band is no where, so it is very important to stay connected with the fans.

Secondly, all of our parents who have supported us over the years and let us do what we wanted to do in the early stages of our musical careers.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

It would be how some of the promoters within the UK go about promoting their nights. There are still some really great promoters out there who are passionate about the unsigned scene but many of them now are more interested in how much money they can make rather than how good their nights could be. Its a real shame because I think a lot of unsigned bands get disheartened and end up giving up on their dreams.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I think touring in general is just a great experience and full of memories. There's no greater feeling than spending two weeks living in a van with four of your best friends, doing what you love most every night. If we had it our way we would live on the road.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Having sites like AP.net up and running is so great for the music industry and, more importantly, unsigned artists. People across the globe are constantly looking for new, up and coming artists that they can say they heard before they "made it" big. Sites like this really give bands like us the chance to connect with so many new people. Thank you AP :)

12. What is your favorite song to play?

For me the best song to play from our set is "Stand And Be The Hero". It's got a really bouncy intro that is almost impossible not to at least nod your head along to.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Spending a lot of time on the road means there is not too much time for holidays but we do like to get down to the west country when we can. Really nice to be in the UK and sit on a nice beach, enjoying some summer sun and a few surfs.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Hmmm.... so many to choose from. Definitely Nirvana's Nevermind album, Steroephonics - Performance and Cocktails, Greenday - Dookie and then some early pop punk from the likes of Yellowcard and Sum41

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

I think it would be super cool to be invisible. Most people probably say they'd like to be able to fly but think of all the mischief you could get up to if you could not be seen.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Nothing really to be honest. We tend to all get a few minutes of alone time before we go on. I guess we are getting mentally prepared to go out on the stage and put on the best show we can. We have been known to sink a jagerbomb each just as our intro sample comes over the house PA.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Before he got into music our bassist used to race karts. He regularly drove on the same circuit as Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton and Touring Cars Rob Huff. A small claim to fame from an early age.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Radio these days seems to be more about what the major record labels want people to hear. However,the bigger stations like Radio 1 now do things like "BBC Introducing" which is a great way for unsigned acts to get their music heard. I think our music is certainly commercially viable for Radio play. The challenge is getting it heard since so many people are making music these days and there's a lot of choice.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I'm a pretty keen extreme sport enthusiast - surfing, wakeboarding, downhill mountain biking. But these days if we get a day off from music it's usually spent doing some promo work or going to see other bands play.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I'm pretty mean on a Unicycle :)

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums