AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Fat Wreck Chords News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Funeral Details For No Use For a Name's Tony Sly

Posted by - 03:09 PM on 08/07/12
Fat Wreck Chords has posted an update with funeral information for No Use For a Name frontman Tony Sly. They also mention that Tony died "peacefully in his sleep."
StatementThe loss of a loved one is a stark reminder of how short life really is, especially when they go before their time. Last week, Tony Sly was taken too soon, dying peacefully in his sleep at age 41. He is survived by his wife Brigitte, their two daughters Fiona and Keira, his brothers Mike and Jonathan Sly, and his parents Pauline and John Sly. In our time of grief it has been the stories from all over the world shared by band members, friends, and fans that have brought solace in an inconsolable time. To his family, he was a loving husband, a father, a brother, and a son; to us he was a loyal friend, an artist, a poet, and a philosopher. He was a man unafraid to bare his soul to the world. Throughout his lifetime as a musician, whether it was fronting No Use For a Name, or during his solo career, it was as if he was speaking directly to each of us, and because of that, each of us felt a special connection to him. Of course the real connection was to his family, and his loved ones, but somehow when he sang “International You Day” (for Brigitte of course) you felt that he was singing to you. Thank you, Brigitte, Fiona, and Keira, for sharing him with us. He was loved by so many, and will be forever missed.

With a heavy heart we will say goodbye to Tony this Friday, August 10th in San Jose at Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph, located at 80 South Market Street. Service starts at 9:30AM. Please arrive early as the street will be closed due to the area Jazz Festival. The service is public in hopes that all of you, friends and fans, who have loved and supported Tony, can join us to celebrate his life and his legacy.

Many have asked how they can support Tony’s family in this trying time. A memorial fund has been created to help support Fiona and Keira, and you can donate here.

Those of you unable to contribute financially, but still wanting to show support, can send letters and share memories of Tony with his family by writing to: Tony Sly Memorial, PO Box 54405, San Jose, CA 95154. We have no choice but to say goodbye to the physical presence of Tony Sly, but he will live on in our thoughts, in our hearts, and in our memories; eternally through his music and his children. Goodbye, our friend.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
03:18 PM on 08/07/12
imagination
/ignitetheknown
User Info.
So bummed.
03:22 PM on 08/07/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Really going to try and make it out to this.
03:27 PM on 08/07/12
makeasound
start appreciating yourself
User Info.
If I didn't have to work Friday morning, I'd be at the memorial in a heartbeat.

Still hard to believe that he's gone.
03:30 PM on 08/07/12
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
My eyes are tearing up all over again. I'm going to miss this man a lot. I wish I lived in the area to make it, but my thoughts and best wishes go out to his family, friends, and loved ones right now. This is a heavy hitter in hearts of the punk rock community. I thought the death of MCA was a tough one, but this one breaks me down to the bone. RIP Tony. Fuck.
03:39 PM on 08/07/12
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
Post the link to either Fat's site or to the donation site.
04:03 PM on 08/07/12
Hail Lelouch
User Info.
cannot comprehend how someone at that age just dies in their sleep. RIP
04:09 PM on 08/07/12
adelphi_rocks
A Man Alone
User Info.
An undiagnosed heart defect is a typical cause.
04:18 PM on 08/07/12
T-Lloyd
User Info.
I still can't believe it, still heartbreaking just thinking about it. But in his 41 years, at least he gave more, saw more and lived more than the majority of people that live through to their old age. He lived a full life!
04:34 PM on 08/07/12
Karl Hansen
www.lowcutrock.com
User Info.
Don't think I've actually quite grasped this yet... too much shit going on in my life at the moment, probably blocking it out.

Rambling. Goodnight.
05:19 PM on 08/07/12
IV.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Sad thing about someone going away like this is now all these people are sharing these stories and It would be awesome for him to see how many lives he was a part of or how many people grew up listening to his music. Ive never liked no use for a name but had friends who use to jam to them back in our golden pop punk days. And seeing the amount of people on here that were effected by this was crazy.

So i hope he knows and I hope the band see's that alot of people got love for them.
05:32 PM on 08/07/12
Khouse89
Welcome to Greyhound Nation
User Info.
It's such a shame
06:03 PM on 08/07/12
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Rest in peace, Sly.
06:12 PM on 08/07/12
BigG1392
I have a crippling fear of heights
User Info.
RIP Tony. Been blasting More Betterness all week
06:45 PM on 08/07/12
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
either do I, must be undiagnosed or diagnosed medical condition or substance abuse. I see no mention he was ever involved in the latter so well leave it at that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos