AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

The Gaslight Anthem News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Q&A With Brian Fallon

Posted by - 11:27 AM on 08/10/12
A Q&A with Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem for Rolling Stone can be read here.

Submitted by iknowyouwantto

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
11:37 AM on 08/10/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Kind of a weird way to start off an article. Was anyone expecting Brian to take them out for a steak dinner?
11:51 AM on 08/10/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Im not your friend"

Not that anyone expects a band of guys you dont know personally to be considered friends.or even friendly...but if fans were the reason my bills were getting paid youre damn skippy id consider them my friends.
11:59 AM on 08/10/12
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
Brian Fallon dropping Brand New lyrics in a Rolling Stone interview. Day is made.
12:00 PM on 08/10/12
Theow593
User Info.
interesting vibe
12:05 PM on 08/10/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
"Im not your friend"

Not that anyone expects a band of guys you dont know personally to be considered friends.or even friendly...but if fans were the reason my bills were getting paid youre damn skippy id consider them my friends.

I'd rather a band be honest and tell it like it is than pretend to be my friend just to make me give them more money. He's just being honest -- they appreciate the fans but they wouldn't be like "Oh you're a fan of my band? You should come to my 4th of July party" so we are not actually his friend. Brian tends to have a knack for having the right idea but not really communicating it best in interviews (see the whole replacements thing). This is really just another of those cases if you ask me.

Anyways, Brian and Jesse need to team up and write a bitter jaded album lashing out against the hero worship/idolization that has come with their increased popularity (which ironically would just cause everyone to love the two of them anymore).
12:11 PM on 08/10/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really dont care how smarmy he comes across as long as he keeps making great music. I do think that if you want to be a big band or whatever you DO need to placate your audience. Make them feel appreciated show a little gratitude. What do i know though.

I looked in the mod sun article on here from here a day or two ago..and even though i didnt dig the music, the fact that he says he doesnt have a fanbase, rather a friendbase, struck me as really respectable.
12:16 PM on 08/10/12
trolland10
Listen to Limbeck
User Info.
there's already a raging debate about this and the new guardian article on dimes store saints
12:17 PM on 08/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Really haven't liked any of his interviews, honestly.
12:17 PM on 08/10/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
there's already a raging debate about this and the new guardian article on dimes store saints

Given some of the idolatry of Brian/Gaslight that goes on there does it really surprise you that debate pops up when Brian says "Don't idolize me"?
12:21 PM on 08/10/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Hey, ja-ja-jaded
12:31 PM on 08/10/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really haven't liked any of his interviews, honestly.

Same. For somebody who wants to play arenas...he sure doesnt know how to handle being adored very well. You cant tell people not to idolize you then want to leap from a balcony into their arms during your set.
12:39 PM on 08/10/12
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Love the Brand New quote, and it's very cool that they've been opening with "Mae" - definitely different.
12:47 PM on 08/10/12
hellogorgeous
two up two down
User Info.
If he says "it is what it is" ONE MORE TIME...
12:51 PM on 08/10/12
tell that mick
@kissmeimlazy
User Info.
Brian Fallon quoting Brand New lyrics in an article = collective splooshing from the AP.netters

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos