|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
1. How did you get your band name?
Roughly translated to English as ‘Death of the Sea’. Named after the French dish ‘Fruits De La Mer’, but with the fruit substituted for death because you know, death sounded more 'rock and roll'.
2. How did this band get started?
The band was formed in 2008. After her previous band split up, Claire started performing as a solo acoustic artist. She was joined in early 2008 by Joe on bass, and after a few months playing together, they decided that they wanted to form a full band. Sean joined on drums in the summer of 2008 and Mortdelamer were formed.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Karnivool, Muse, Skunk Anansie, Biffy Clyro, Oceansize, Incubus
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Karnivool, Muse, No Doubt. Musically, we think we'd fit with all of them and they all seem suitably insane.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Whatever we can afford!
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We hope that we provide something exciting and powerful that people haven't heard before, or haven't heard done this particular way before. The range of artists that we have been compared to over the years is extremely broad. People often don't seem to be able to put their finger on our sound, but at the same time recognise bits and pieces here and there that are familiar to them. We think we have something for everyone.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Michael Jordan, because he was in Space Jam.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents and friends. Anyone who has ever spoken to us/bought merch after a show - we love ya.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
More people going to see smaller/unsigned bands for the sake of seeing bands, rather than just because they are mates with band members.
10. Memorable tour experience?
A show we did in Cardiff on our first ever UK tour. Very long story short, we show up at the venue to discover that they have no in-house sound guy, no mics, no mic stands, no monitors, no cables (we weren't told this would be the case - luckily we had a sound guy with us and we managed to borrow some gear for the night). They also have a noise limiter that cuts the power on stage during the first 5 seconds of the first band's set, and refuses to reset. The venue owner provides us with one extension reel plugged in at the back of the room to power everything on stage. Fantastic. Even better still, towards the end of the first band's set, the guitarist falls and dislocates his knee. Suddenly he is on the floor with his kneecap on completely the wrong side of his leg! Cue over an hours wait for an ambulance, and having to cram 4 bands sets into what little time we had left after the unfortunate guitarist is carted away. We drove to Cardiff to play 2 songs.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our favourite song of ours to play at the moment is 'Searching for Safety'.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
As a band, Cornwall.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Sean: Less Thank Jake, Incubus, Genesis, Yes
Claire: Less Than Jake, Sum 41, Roxette, Bon Jovi
Joe: Queen, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Iron Maiden
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flying, because c'mon....FLYING.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Joe pukes a lot, Sean is obsessed with going to the toilet before a show, and Claire needs to be wearing the right pair of shoes.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
We all live together with 3 cats - Merlin, Scuba Steve and the Kraken. Yes, those are their real names.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
We think, especially with the dawn of internet radio, that radio is about as diverse as it's ever been. There is a station for just about any genre of music you can imagine. With this in mind, yes, we do feel like it's a place that we could flourish.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write, record, practice. Rinse, repeat.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Sean can do 'the dead cow face' (don't ask), Claire has an eye for artwork/poster design, and Joe, in his own words, can 'talk the hind legs off of a donkey'.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |