AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Take Earth Beneath Us - Take The Earth... Album Cover

The Take Earth Beneath Us - Take The Earth...

Reviewed by
Take The Earth Beneath US - Take The Earth Beneath Us
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: May 29, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
As a genre continues to draw an influx of new, youthful bands, a sense of individuality becomes harder and harder to cultivate. As saturated as any genre gets, though, there are bands that seem to shine brighter than others, that seem to do things better than their peers. One such band is Take The Earth Beneath Us, a fairly new metal core band from Vancouver who recently presented their debut self titled EP. Why the excitement? For just a debut, this band blends the sound and success of very few metalcore acts and does so in a interesting way and in some shining moments, refreshingly.

The album bursts open with the short, double kick laden "You Started A War." Nothing new here, but it serves as a rousing introduction that leads into the albums true opener, "So Quickly We Forget." The song blazes with rapid fire drumming as well as string crossing and sliding riffs that contribute to a bold sound without resorting to sole chugging. The real surprise comes when you hear the words "Where did I lose it all?" These pristine vocals are inserted perfectly and are accompanied by clean, smooth instrumentals. Yet, the song returns to its hectic side soon after and back once more to the impressive vocal melodies. Unfortunately, the track seems to lose focus with some breakdown, though powerful, seem distracting. Still, the vocal delivery and charisma that Take The Earth Beneath us deliver is strong, and certainly is rowdy and massively energetic.

Though this is very aspect comprises the weakest parts of the album, the energy and momentum work very well, as the majority of the unclean portions of songs like "Reckless" and "Half Hearted" incorporate riffing and unique structuring that sound comparable to a downtuned Sleepwalking by Memphis May Fire. Though there are the off putting moments where the band resorts to open note chugging, slick guitar work and a more aggressive clean delivery preserve a sense of forceful identity, especially as seen in the chorus and outro of "Half Hearted," easily turning this song into the albums highlight. The concluding track, "Distance" keeps up the pace with galloping guitar lines and a clean retry but regrettably succumbs most to the overuse of breakdowns, at least in its introduction. Before the album closes though, the band manages to sneak in a surprisingly moving piano part that leaves on the right foot, but makes you wish it had been effectively incorporated in one of the tracks main structure. As inspiringly as the album ends, You are left with good indication of capable songwriting, intricate melody, and aggressive delivery. Given the chance, Take The Earth Beneath Us are set to take off with a great footing in modern metalcore.

Sounds LikeOur Last Night's We Will All Evolve bore offspring with a heavier Sleepwalking

Take The Earth Beneath Us's WebsitesOfficial Bandcamp; Offical Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
02:31 PM on 08/14/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
To the band or the fans who have been long expecting a review, I just wanted to apologize for the wait. There has been so much that has gone on as I finished my school year and just tragic things that have happened at a personal level, including the loss of family, and family friends. I accept full responsibility of that, but I hope you enjoy the review. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)
03:17 PM on 08/14/12
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
Based on the album cover, I'd've thought they were a pop band.
03:26 PM on 08/14/12
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
Based on the album cover, I'd've thought they were a pop band.
Nope, metalcore! If you're a fan of the genre, you'll probably like this. If not, this likely won't sway your vote

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos