User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how punk of them
..pretty sure it will sound as dull as their other records
08:08 AM on 12/21/07
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
Awesome idea, I love how a bunch of dudes pushing 40 are more forward thinking than today's early 20's scene torch-bearers. Just shows how much more honest the 'scene' was in the 90's, how much more integrity the artists of that era have in comparison to the primadonnas and spotlight whores of todays era.
08:13 AM on 12/21/07
permanentdan
User Info.
ive got six of said 8 albums. i grew up on these dudes man. though i need a new copy of straight ahead. i pretty much played that to death in high school. ill def picking this up, as well as dling of course.
08:14 AM on 12/21/07
SteveD
It won't snow where she is going.
User Info.
I don't think it will piss anyone off, they wouldn't be able to sell enough copies to hurt the company, if anything the publicity from doing this will probably spike sales on the other cd's if anything. So if will probably even out somehow.

I'll probably still download it off a torrent because I'm that much of a douche. hah.
08:15 AM on 12/21/07
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
how punk of them
..pretty sure it will sound as dull as their other records

whether you like their music or not, you have to admit that this is much cooler than what most bands do. how many bands give away a high-quality download of their new album? I can't think of any.

It's not a matter of being "punk" its a matter of staying relevant in today's dying music industry, the conventional CD is on its way out and this, like the Radiohead give-away, really show artists experimenting with how music can or should be distributed in today's digital music world. To me its an outstanding concept and whether you like their music or not, they should be commended for their enginuity.

But what do you care, youre just 19-year old awesome danny from san jose.
08:16 AM on 12/21/07
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Maybe it will come with an audio recording of the singer's shitty fatherhood memoir.
08:18 AM on 12/21/07
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's not a matter of being "punk" its a matter of staying relevant in today's dying music industry, the conventional CD is on its way out and this, like the Radiohead give-away, really show artists experimenting with how music can or should be distributed in today's digital music world. To me its an outstanding concept and whether you like their music or not, they should be commended for their enginuity.

experimenting or grabbing at straws
08:26 AM on 12/21/07
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
experimenting or grabbing at straws

well, they certainly don't; have the popularity they had 10 years ago, but if its a straw-grab its a fucking smart one and will likely work
08:29 AM on 12/21/07
alkalinexandy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The negativity/immaturity that can be found on Internet message boards continues to astound me. Long live Pennywise. And any other band with the balls enough to continue making music their career despite not being a part of "what's cool" at this juncture in time.

This may not be the most "punk rock" move of all-time. And they may be "outdated." But then again, one could make the same argument for every band posted about on this Web site...
08:45 AM on 12/21/07
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
well, they certainly don't; have the popularity they had 10 years ago, but if its a straw-grab its a fucking smart one and will likely work

I meant the label, not the band. The band's getting paid either way. Also, it's not that smart. Nobody paid for Radiohead's album, Saul Williams has a small niche audience and none of the Quote/Unquote bands are very popular.

This is not a new concept. People that like Pennywise will get it for free, people that don't care about Pennywise will still not hear it. Perhaps if they toured more often they would have a larger fanbase or at least retain the old one.
08:46 AM on 12/21/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
This is so weird for a band like Pennywise.
08:55 AM on 12/21/07
alkalinexandy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I meant the label, not the band. The band's getting paid either way. Also, it's not that smart. Nobody paid for Radiohead's album, Saul Williams has a small niche audience and none of the Quote/Unquote bands are very popular.

This is not a new concept. People that like Pennywise will get it for free, people that don't care about Pennywise will still not hear it. Perhaps if they toured more often they would have a larger fanbase or at least retain the old one.

...Maybe I'm being naieve. But wouldn't it stand to reason that--and this is a wild and crazy idea--just maybe there are bands out there who are in it for the love? And write music because they feel compelled to? As opposed to being concerned about popularity?

It's a marginally succesful band trying something new in a f(l)ailing industry. And while it may not be a "revolutionary" or "new" idea, if you throw the word "relatively" in front of those two adjectives, it fits. Pennywise is doing something that the vast majority of bands can't/won't do. Who cares if Radiohead, Saul Williams, and Jeff Rosenthstock(sp?) are already doing it?

It doesn't make the "experiment" any less worth trying. If at first you don't succeed...
08:58 AM on 12/21/07
emoishardcore
emoishardcore
User Info.
thats why pennywise are pimps. even if their music all sounds the same. bro hymn!
09:10 AM on 12/21/07
Awesome_Danny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
whether you like their music or not, you have to admit that this is much cooler than what most bands do. how many bands give away a high-quality download of their new album? I can't think of any.

But what do you care, youre just 19-year old awesome danny from san jose.

uhh i do care
so stfu cunt
09:18 AM on 12/21/07
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.
Wow...so much bitching for a free fucking album?!?! I think this is a commendable thing for Pennywise to do. Good for them. This site is called AbsolutePunk.net and a whole bunch of people are complaining about a free Pennywise album while they wet their pants for inane Panic at the Disco! website updates and spend money on albums from Simple Plan????? Unbelievable.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests