Username
Password
Pennywise News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 52.
09:20 AM on 12/21/07
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
I have no complaints about how Pennywise are choosing to release this album.

I do have a complaint about how Pennywise haven't released a good album since Land of the Free.
09:23 AM on 12/21/07
Liter-O-Cola
Is there a ghost in my house?
User Info.

I do have a complaint about how Pennywise haven't released a good album since Land of the Free.

I think this is the first legit complaint on this board. I have to say that I agree...but don't you think you are more willing to give their new album a chance now whereas you (and I) would probably have ignored this release otherwise?
09:29 AM on 12/21/07
TheOtherAndrew
[UNINTELLIGIBLE SCREAMING]
User Info.
I think this is the first legit complaint on this board. I have to say that I agree...but don't you think you are more willing to give their new album a chance now whereas you (and I) would probably have ignored this release otherwise?
Yeah, probably. And depending on whether I like it or not I might pick up the CD/DVD as well, just cause I'm a sucker for bonus DVDs. After The Fuse, I don't exactly have my hopes up though.
09:35 AM on 12/21/07
CrimsonJihad
User Info.
talk about not punk. 14 year old girls prolly don't even know who the dead kennedys are.

only if they're lucky...ohhhh...

im jus joshing you man, i dont even know what the dead kennedys are....is it a clothing brand? i think i saw something about it in hollister, but i cant be sure...
09:39 AM on 12/21/07
tragedyco
User Info.
Corporate sponsorship- so punk.

I'm not trying to bash Pennywise or anything, but this move just seems a little hypocritical to me. Who knows how this will work out though? I guess time will tell.

yeah, partnering with one of the biggest media conglomerates in the world... punk rock for sure.
10:05 AM on 12/21/07
J.Dick
User Info.
only if they're lucky...ohhhh...

im jus joshing you man, i dont even know what the dead kennedys are....is it a clothing brand? i think i saw something about it in hollister, but i cant be sure...

If this is Dead Kennedys thing is a joke then it's funny as shit.

You can crack on Pennywise all you want but these guys have been able to sustain a band and live from touring for 18 years. While I agree that their newest releases haven't been as strong as older stuff they have written some classic punk songs..."Bro Hymm", "Society", "Fuck Authority".

I will give this a listen.
10:09 AM on 12/21/07
skinnypuppy
Jon Hughes
User Info.
How much money could they possibly be making per download off myspace due to advertisements? it couldn't be more than maybe a dollar per download unless they get really intrusive.
10:12 AM on 12/21/07
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
haha i completely forgot about this band. free albums are never a bad thing.
10:17 AM on 12/21/07
IronMaiden
User Info.
pennywise kicks ass. i will prolly pick up the album anyway. i am not going to try to pretend that most of there stuff sounds exactly the same, but they have been consistently one of the best punk bands out there, and are still better than half of the crap thats is out there today
11:34 AM on 12/21/07
thebarrelboy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
...Maybe I'm being naieve. But wouldn't it stand to reason that--and this is a wild and crazy idea--just maybe there are bands out there who are in it for the love? And write music because they feel compelled to? As opposed to being concerned about popularity?

It's a marginally succesful band trying something new in a f(l)ailing industry. And while it may not be a "revolutionary" or "new" idea, if you throw the word "relatively" in front of those two adjectives, it fits. Pennywise is doing something that the vast majority of bands can't/won't do. Who cares if Radiohead, Saul Williams, and Jeff Rosenthstock(sp?) are already doing it?

It doesn't make the "experiment" any less worth trying. If at first you don't succeed...

It's been tried. For all intents and purposes, it failed. At least vary the method a little bit if you're going to make a big deal about it and don't try to say you're going to *gasp* piss of people by doing it. You won't, no one cares. It's Pennywise.

I"m not doubting their love or compulsion to write and record songs. Go ahead, just don't act like you're turning "the industry" (which you weren't all that big a part of anyway) on it's side by giving away the thing for free. Plenty of bands give out their albums for free outside of venues or in piles at the front of record stores already.
11:42 AM on 12/21/07
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
Nice.
12:07 PM on 12/21/07
strangeway
User Info.
Good for them. I'm not a big fan, but I think it's cool that bands are trying new things and being more proactive, because straight-up record sales don't cut it anymore. And Myspace has a huge platform to get the music out there.
12:30 PM on 12/21/07
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.

Agreed. I'll download this when it comes out, but I'm not expecting to like it. Hell, I probably won't even get halfway through the album before I delete it.
12:48 PM on 12/21/07
JonyeWest
User Info.
Yawn. Tell me when a band that still matters does this type of thing.
01:35 PM on 12/21/07
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
I meant the label, not the band. The band's getting paid either way. Also, it's not that smart. Nobody paid for Radiohead's album, Saul Williams has a small niche audience and none of the Quote/Unquote bands are very popular.

This is not a new concept. People that like Pennywise will get it for free, people that don't care about Pennywise will still not hear it. Perhaps if they toured more often they would have a larger fanbase or at least retain the old one.

true, they really don't tour enough, all they ever do nationally is warped tour. they did more club tours before they had kids, wives, etc. but for the last 6 or 7 years its been warped tour and cali shows.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums