Username
Password

09:21 AM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
OneAndrewWest
@OneAndrewWest
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm moving to LA (West LA to be exact) next week with a friend from the Philadelphia area. My goal is to get a local job while interning a few days a week at a label or management company. Does anyone have advice from the area about things to avoid, local venues around LA to check out and great places to eat? I know traffic sucks but how is public transportation around the city?

If anyone wants to grab a beer/food and talk about music/the industry at all send me a message as well!

(I apologize if this is the 800th thread about moving somewhere, I guess it's just good getting advice from people who know about it more than I do)

Thanks!
12:40 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
voncorn
Once again, it's all an act.
Denver, CO
Male - 22 Years Old
01:02 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
No Avatar Selected
Los Angeles,Ca
Male - 27 Years Old
it will be the best worst time in your whole life.. welcome to the club. any time vanaprasta is playing, go see them. go to hollywood if you want to party and get fucked up or get fucked every night. boosh!
01:07 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
kwsqd
love has torn us apart
Reading, PA
Male - 26 Years Old
congratulations on moving out of this shit hole of a state. i'm jealous.
01:39 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
upthepunx
San Diego, CA
Male - 24 Years Old
Welcome to southern california. Everybody is an asshole and everything is insanely expensive but, the weather is awesome and it is the most fun here.
02:26 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
stuffsux00
Male - 27 Years Old
check out 1,2,&3 of these. there are so many things going on all over and different opinions of what's good and what's not. at least this is one man you can trust with SOME of what to expect. in terms of music related items, i would really just Google what's around you and start there (i.e. record stores, venues [which will probably be like Troubadour if you are in West L.A.]) i would make an effort to visit Amoeba Records for flyers and what not.

02:32 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
Siren
eventually
No Avatar Selected
Illinois
Male - 21 Years Old
02:55 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
oregon city
Female - 25 Years Old
i have no idea, but i just wanted to say it's weird that you listen to shadows on stars.
02:57 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
OneAndrewWest
@OneAndrewWest
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
i have no idea, but i just wanted to say it's weird that you listen to shadows on stars.

Haha why is that weird? One of my favorite albums of the summer. Thanks for the tips guys. Going to watch that special tonight and look around for some venues/record stores.
04:39 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
joelabz
Totes Magotes!
Wales
Male - 22 Years Old

i don't think i'm gonna go to LA anymore...
05:25 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
honey bunny that's the funny thing
omnipresent
Female
Unless you are in school or have connections or experience and a trust fund you might want to consider a backup plan to the whole interning/part-time work thing. West LA is super expensive and the economy has gone to shit in CA.

You really ought to have a job lined up before you move.

I love, love, love LA but it's expensive to live there and there's a billion other people with the same types of dreams. You have to think outside the box.
05:53 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
HarryPotter
No Avatar Selected
Hogwarts
Male - 27 Years Old
my advice. don't waste your time. youre not going to be the next Calvin Harris. you might can be the next Sonny Moore, or Gable Saporta, but that has nothing to do with interning and more to do with clubbing and networking
06:17 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
OneAndrewWest
@OneAndrewWest
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 25 Years Old
Unless you are in school or have connections or experience and a trust fund you might want to consider a backup plan to the whole interning/part-time work thing. West LA is super expensive and the economy has gone to shit in CA.

You really ought to have a job lined up before you move.

I love, love, love LA but it's expensive to live there and there's a billion other people with the same types of dreams. You have to think outside the box.

Totally understandable. The only reason why I am going for the time being is because my friend and I are sharing a room for the time being. I don't really have any shame in heading back to the east coast after 4, 5 or 6 months if things don't work out.
06:23 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
Madison, WI
Male - 24 Years Old
I only lived there for a summer and I loved it but I definitely wouldn't move out there unless I had a job already lined up or I had a lot of money.
06:56 PM on 08/14/12 
User Info.
ctmk
Get him a cranberry juice
Guess, CA
Male

what happened to these guys. i really dug that record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets