01:47 PM on 12/21/07
sweetforever
User Info.
I love Max
01:51 PM on 12/21/07
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but did Tom not say the album cover was painted by the artist who created the Star Wars posters, and that the album artwork is on-par with Spielberg and the like? I believe that's what I heard, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, the man is clearly high on sarcasm, and anyone who is willing to sit where they are and whole-heartedly believe that this man is one-hundred percent serious needs to take a minute and re-evaluate who they are listening to. You do realize this is the same vocalist who used to sing about boners and fucking dogs, right?

I can't even begin to fathom why people can get so angry so easily, especially this time of year.

I got that it was sarcastic, guys. Sarcastic or not, I just thought it was stupid to hear him drone on and and on, joking or not. Again, joking or not, stop talking about yourself. And for the record, I liked the album, have tickets to the upcoming tour, etc... so I'm not seething with hatred. I just think it was wholehearted and unequivically dumb.
01:52 PM on 12/21/07
dubey
trillest
User Info.
I really liked Max's list even though I'm not a Say Anything fan. I'm going to second his nomination of "No One" as one of the songs of the year.

Tom Delonge on the other hand, I don't care if he was joking or not. He's not funny anymore. The guy is like a running joke and it's kind of sad to see.
01:52 PM on 12/21/07
moore182
User Info.
HAHA...I love that Tom put two of AvA's songs in his top five. It's pathetic that people can't see that he isn't totally serious. I thought it was funny.
01:53 PM on 12/21/07
chronomic
is dat ur pokemons?!?
User Info.
Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but did Tom not say the album cover was painted by the artist who created the Star Wars posters, and that the album artwork is on-par with Spielberg and the like? I believe that's what I heard, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, the man is clearly high on sarcasm, and anyone who is willing to sit where they are and whole-heartedly believe that this man is one-hundred percent serious needs to take a minute and re-evaluate who they are listening to. You do realize this is the same vocalist who used to sing about boners and fucking dogs, right?

I can't even begin to fathom why people can get so angry so easily, especially this time of year.

my very thoughts
01:54 PM on 12/21/07
asmolitor
Resident Econ/Market/WI Nerd
User Info.
to a certain extent, i equate tom talking about AVA to stephen colbert talking politics (in character).
01:54 PM on 12/21/07
Badgers08
U look hot enuff to cook a pizza on
User Info.
Kudos to Brandon and theguilt engine for having a perception for sarcasm. Thank god, I thought I was gonna have to bitch about everyone unfairly ripping on Tom again all by myself. People need to relax and stop being so bitter.

edit: there is a solution for you annoyed with him "droning on and on". it's called pushing the stop or pause button
01:55 PM on 12/21/07
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
i think the majority of us get that he's joking. i guess that i-empire is part of this hilarity, because i can't find anything good about it, except the fact that it's a good joke.
Why do some people have so much trouble in understanding why bad music exists? I'm not saying I feel I-Empire to be a sub-par release, but music is an art that takes talent like any other, and it's a listener's duty to weed through it all and discover what he/she likes. We could sit down and have a paint-off right now, and I'm sure yours would look like a masterpiece next to mine, as painting isn't something I consider myself gifted at. The way some people expect every album to be a musical masterpiece is absurd, not to mention, one man's opinion is hardly the be-all end-all determination of what is worthwhile and what is utter garbage. Just relax, listen to what you enjoy, and forget about the rest. It's Christmas, pal, and if you or anyone else is losing sleep over I-Empire, I think we've gotten to point where music is no longer healthy.
01:56 PM on 12/21/07
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.
Well Tom likes Bloc Party, Eisley, Arcade Fire, and knows who Bright Eyes is so it's okay.

Max has some good stuff too on his lists (some better than others though): Paramore, Arcade Fire, Jimmy Eat World, Band Of Horses, Saves The Day
02:00 PM on 12/21/07
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
I got that it was sarcastic, guys. Sarcastic or not, I just thought it was stupid to hear him drone on and and on, joking or not. Again, joking or not, stop talking about yourself. And for the record, I liked the album, have tickets to the upcoming tour, etc... so I'm not seething with hatred. I just think it was wholehearted and unequivically dumb.
Why should he? His records may not be topping the charts in terms of sales, but he clearly has an audience, and someone is clearly listening. Asking Tom to stop talking about himself (or instead the career in which he has based his life around) is like me asking you to politely stop posting on this message board with your own opinions, which I am not about to do, nor would I ever. You might also be forgetting that (and I say this as politely and respectfully as possible) nobody made you watch this video, and you chose to do so. I chose to watch this video, and I was given Tom's thoughts on the subject, and whether that included his own release or not, consider me satisfied. I chose to read your post, and you gave us your opinion, and that's great, I couldn't ask for anymore. But how is it fair to ask one party to quit what they're doing when you were never forcefully made to listen?
02:01 PM on 12/21/07
tonyrask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Whether hes joking or not, he's not funny and doing nothing to change music. Gay.
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
It's not a total giveaway that he is sarcastic either. I mean, yeah, I get it, I got it when I watched it, but compared to the shit he says in the media about his band, it's not that far off. So what are we supposed to believe? The print stuff or the video stuff? All of it? None of it? This guy talks about his band like they are the greatest thing since the turn the decade, and continues sounding like it here, but he's sarcastic here? And not anywhere else...?
emo_boo
User Info.
I remember Tom when he was in Blink 182 would say the same thing about how great their cds were.
02:03 PM on 12/21/07
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
It's not a total giveaway that he is sarcastic either. I mean, yeah, I get it, I got it when I watched it, but compared to the shit he says in the media about his band, it's not that far off. So what are we supposed to believe? The print stuff or the video stuff? All of it? None of it? This guy talks about his band like they are the greatest thing since the turn the decade, and continues sounding like it here, but he's sarcastic here? And not anywhere else...?
You don't think it's possible that it's much easier to detect sarcasm in a video than it is in print, and perhaps you interpreted said "print" incorrectly? I think so.
02:03 PM on 12/21/07
matt_rawlings
User Info.
At every single chance he gets, Tom makes sure to plug himself, AvA or blink182
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles