Password

Album Review

Circa Survive - Violent Waves Album Cover

Circa Survive - Violent Waves

Reviewed by
Circa Survive - Violent Waves
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
It’s hard to believe that it’s already been two years since Circa Survive’s last LP, Blue Sky Noise. However two years it has indeed been, and the wait for Anthony Green and the gang’s newest outing is over, and it does not disappoint. Violent Waves, Circa Survive’s newest album both lives up to the band’s lofty pedigree and in many ways, raises the bar for the band. Truly, they have outdone themselves by a large margin this time around.

Circa Survive has joined the ranks of the growing migration of bands from record labels to completely DIY self-production. While this may spell the end of less-experienced bands, this has done nothing but benefit Violent Waves. As the band stated on their website, “This is raw Circa Juice from us to you.”

This fact is readily apparent throughout the album in that it seems to be comprised of all of the best elements that Circa has adapted throughout its time as a band. If you liked Blue Sky Noise, there’s plenty to like here, and of course, if you’re a Juturna purist, you can bet that Violent Waves will sure be a convincing case to jump back on the wagon. Heck, even if you prefer Anthony Green’s solo work, there’s even a cure for that itch too. Even though a conglomerate of sounds like this may sound eclectic, it works together surprisingly cohesively that only the Circa boys could pull off.

The album kicks off with a dose of psychedelic with “Birth of the Economic Hitman.” The oft missed wailing, effect-ridden guitars that made Juturna and On Letting Go so memorable are back in full swing here, enveloping the listener in a sonic ocean, and are seen in other strong tracks including the hard-hitting “The Lottery” featuring Geoff Rickly of Thursday fame, albeit only a brief cameo during the choruses. Easily one of the strongest songs of the album also falls into the Juturna field with “My Only Friend.” It features a dissident melody that hits all the right notes in all the right places, and will help remind any fan why Circa Survive is one of the best bands on the scene.

In addition to the call-back to the sound of their earlier career, Circa Survive has also encompassed their more straight-forward rock sound from their previous LP Blue Sky Noise. “Brother Song” is a spacey little ditty with plenty of blues influence. With this also comes “Phantasmagoria,” a song that could of absolutely been a Beautiful Things b-side from Anthony Green’s solo project. It’s a catchy track that breaks up the very under water feel of the album in a good way, like an island on the sea.

Is Circa Survive’s Violent Waves perfect? Not quite. In their mixed-flavor approach, they neither have the entire pure, psychodelicness of Juturna, nor all of the toe-tapping catchiness of Blue Sky Noise. However, when looking at the album from a track-by-track basis, each song shines on its own, easily being some of the best song writing the band has ever released.

A consistent, powerful album that holds it’s own against the band’s formidable discography that firmly hits On Letting Go levels of enjoyableness, this is a love letter to any fan who has ever enjoyed a Circa Survive album, and music in general. Violent Waves is easily a contender for the best album of the year for me. It would be a disservice to your ears to miss out on this one when it drops August 28th.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive, Minus the Bear, Pink Floyd, Saosin, Thursday

Circa Survive's Websites http://circasurvive.com http://www.facebook.com/CircaSurvive
This review is a user submitted review from thekazeblade. You can see all of thekazeblade's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
03:07 PM on 08/23/12
HexagonalZebra
Wolf Am I
User Info.
Just curious, but how does Minus the Bear sound like Circa Survive? I've seen the comparison a few times but took a listen to Minus the Bear and really didn't see the similarities.
10:14 AM on 08/24/12
thekazeblade
User Info.
Just curious, but how does Minus the Bear sound like Circa Survive? I've seen the comparison a few times but took a listen to Minus the Bear and really didn't see the similarities.
For me personally, I think a lot of the psychadelicness that Minus the Bear has in their work is very present in Circa Survive's as well... in a lot of ways, they're both extensions of that particular era from the late 60's and early 70's that could be seen in Pink Floyd and The Doors.

It could just be me, though, but that's what they call to mind :)
09:14 PM on 08/25/12
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
nice review.
05:05 PM on 08/26/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I'm waiting for this along with Minus The Bear on pre-order, so damn excited..
01:17 AM on 11/20/12
frozencreek1979
User Info.
For me personally, I think a lot of the psychadelicness that Minus the Bear has in their work is very present in Circa Survive's as well... in a lot of ways, they're both extensions of that particular era from the late 60's and early 70's that could be seen in Pink Floyd and The Doors.

It could just be me, though, but that's what they call to mind :)
That's the way i see it too. When those psychadelic bands came out in that era, no one really knew what they were listening to, but it was different, new and cool. Most people now days aren't listening for what is different, so they don't appreciate this type of music or aren't finding it in the mainstream. This album is awesome and draws from so many inspiring artists. Circa are only getting better. Even though they were at their best with Juturna, you can only be amazed at every album they put out, its just not like anything else you hear.
07:56 PM on 04/04/13
thekazeblade
User Info.
I'm really just getting into this now, I guess my tastes have matured c:
Better late than never :D
05:16 PM on 08/11/13
kevindadbrewer
Kevin Brewer
User Info.
I just can't get into this Circa record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos