AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Fates Upon Us - 08.15.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (08/15/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Fates Upon Us

http://www.facebook.com/FatesUponUs

D: = Danny Hattersley- Guitar; C:= Carl Jackson, Drummer.

1. How did you get your band name?

D: It was just a random name we thought of. There's not really any meaningful story behind it unfortunately, but it was definitely better than the other options we had.
C:What were the other names? Ah shit yeah, weren't we going to be called 'Sky Consumes Ocean' at one bit? Glad we decided against that!

2. How did this band get started?

D: Me and our singer Danny Costello were at Download festival 2011 and we decided we wanted in on it. We were all in bands before and we recruited the other guitarist Carl and the drummer Carl since we were short a drummer and guitarist. Carl Tyler is Danny's cousin and I think he met you at a party didn't he Carl?
C: Yeah I was really high and he asked me if I could play anything and I was like, "Yeah, I'm a drummer." Then he asked me to join the band, and I thought, why not!

3. What bands are you influenced by?

D:There's a big clash of music in the band. I like pop punk/post hardcore kinda stuff, Danny(vocalist) likes a bit of everything but mainly like Linkin Park and stuff. Our guitarist Carl is into thrash and stuff then Dok(bassist) doesn't fit in at all because he likes disney music and chart stuff and all that shit.
C: I'm into some really horrible deathcore kind of stuff. If it's got horrible breakdowns in it, I like it! I mean punching cat's in the face kind of horrible.
D: But weirdly not all of those genre's come through in our music. We're a heavy, metalcore band but we incorporate some really melodic catchy stuff as well, and not in a generic sense. The feel to our songs is quite uplifting and pop-punky in some senses.
C: I think as a band though, Asking Alexandria are the main influence. Interesting fact, we got pissed with two of the five members of Asking Alexandria in Leeds, not that we remember much.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

C. Emmure straight up for me, and the one and only Lamb of God, because they are both sick and smash it every time.
D: I'd go with Motorhead because we'd kill ourselves trying to match Lemmy shot for shot with the Jack Daniels.
C: I'd give it a good go.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

D: It's hard not to eat shit on tour, since you don't really have anywhere to cook proper food or money to afford it.
C: It's mainly pot noodles and fast food

6. Why should people listen to your band?

D: Because we're different to other metalcore bands. Our lyrics are personal, our songs are catchy yet heavy but relatable to people. Even though we're young we've been through a lot and music is a way to express those feelings and hopefully people get that
C: Breakdowns. Nothing else needs be said.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

D: Rikishi, the wrestler. How he had a special move like the stink face. I don't know, but I'd love to do that to someone who's being a twat
C: Do Mortal Kombat characters count, because I'd love to be Smoke?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

D: Everyone who's given us inspiration. And not the obvious ones either. All the wankers who've made us angry and influenced us
C: My cats for giving me the inspiration for the 'If Cats Had Opposable Thumbs' title.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

D: I'd literally kill all the wankers who get famous of a sob story or apparent 'talent' shows. People like that Rebecca Black and Justin Beiber isnt even music to us, just pointless waste of radio play.
C:I'd give Kimbo Slice a record label, just for the fun of it.

10. Memorable tour experience?

D: It wasn't on tour, but i remember one of our members shitting into a noodle box at a festival. I'm not naming names but he plays bass
C: We had a wall of death at this small local show in a pretty tiny room, that was memorable because a lot of bones were broken that night, my toe included!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

D: Real, honest bands and music. A lot of people who like metal and 'alternative' music can be so far away from the rest of society sometimes, in a good way, and this website is a way of showing that. In our home town there's a nightclub dedicated to just playing music to cater for the 'alternative' crowd, that's a rare thing
C:It's a pretty sick website, it's a good place to go to find upcoming but awesome bands.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

C: 'Save me', one of the newer songs we've wrote but not recorded yet. It's catchy but chuggy!
D: Probably 'If Cats Had Opposable Thumbs'. Despite the silly name, it's a pretty meaningful song and it's nice to see people connect with that live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

D: Bands don't do holidays. Every spare minute we have is spent on improving the band.
C: Going home to my dad's in Newcastle. That always brings a smile to my face

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

D: It's not nice to admit but the spice girls or something like that. My parents made me listen to horrible pop music.
C: My Dad used to play the Eagles and Beatles non fucking stop. That can't not have an influence on you.
D: Yeah, my dad used to listen to old school metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest that kind of thing. That was my first taste of heavy music.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

C: I dunno, I'd just be fast or something, like the Flash.
D: I'm a bit of a weird pervert, so probably invisibility.
C: Actually, I'd fly everywhere because walking fucking sucks.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

D:We always have a huddle before we go on stage, just to get pumped really and calm our nerves but there aren't really any superstitions.
C: Being drunk before we go on is always nice for me. Seems to make me play better
D: I just pray my equipment doesn't break mid set, because I'm pretty disaster prone

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

C: I'm not actually from Yorkshire. I'm from Newcastle
D: We don't even like each other. Me and our bassist have bare knuckle fights all the time

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

D: There's only really Kerrang and a few other smaller radio stations that play heavy music now. And even Kerrang plays Kasabian and stuff like that. Could you imagine a station that plays One Direction having a metal show or a band like us being number one in the charts? It's unlikely.
C: What he said.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

D: Hahaha, can we say?
C: WEEEEEEEEEEEEED
D: Yeah we smoke drugs quite often.
C: AND LOTS OF IT.
D: alright Carl calm down.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

D: At school i could power wank in 17.2 seconds. I had the school record.
C: I can do front flips and stuff
D: Dok (bassist) can drink too much alcohol!The only reason he hasn't died yet is because he stores it all in his vagina like a camel.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News