AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Fictions - Always Trapped EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 6.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.88
Lyrics 9.63
Production 8.63
Creativity 9.38
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 95%

My Fictions - Always Trapped EP

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (08/16/12)
My Fictions - Always Trapped EP
Record Label: Topshelf Records
Release Date: August 14, 2012

As one of the newer signings to the Topshelf Records crew, New England-based My Fictions has been slowly, but surely building steam in the year or so Iíve been aware of them. Brandishing a ferocity akin to Converge that isnít shy on the melodies, the bandís Topshelf debut is a three-track doozy Ė droning through thick guitars at one moment then blasting with no remorse at the next. For a band with only a handful of shorter releases under its belt, Always Trapped shows an incredible amount of depth in the bandís relentless tendencies. If youíre into hardcore or any variation of the sort, My Fictions is a band you need to be listening to.

The four-minute opener ďA Recurring DreamĒ wastes no time, kicking us right into breakneck metallic hardcore that simply goes for the throat with slicing guitar chords and blistering drumming. Better yet, the tension-soaked bridge is the true apex of the track building and sustaining a sense of emotional wringing tinged with piercing melodies and a superb guitar crunch. Itís kind of weak on a record like this to get technical, but I have to admit something seems a bit off in the mix here. Maybe Iím just used to other records sounding a bit more drum-heavy, but the drums seem a little buried when the guitars are cued to full-tilt.

In any case, the middle track ďCoffin RehearshalĒ is arguably the standout of the trio, building a mountain of toms and an almost perfectly toned guitar crunch to compliment the slowly brewing melodies. The fast break nature of the first track isnít ditched though, as the titular closer is a tornado of sounds from nearly every direction that hints at letting up without ever really giving us a chance to breathe. Itís a gripping closer that taps the bandís roots pretty hard Ė yet My Fictions pull it off with a sense of confidence and songwriting swagger that flows even through a series of stops and textural shifts.

Even for an EP, Always Trapped shows an aggressive sense of songwriting bands seemingly several years My Fictionsí senior without sacrificing any emotion or flow in the process. After a solid outing on their I Want Nothing EP, this band has shown a sense of maturity and progression while somehow sounding even more passionate than before. Hardcore fans, and bands, take note Ė donít be surprised if this band starts to get mentioned more and more in the coming year and beyond.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
01:37 PM on 08/16/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Good EP, terrible dudes.
07:04 PM on 08/16/12
thedairyfairy
User Info.
Good EP, terrible dudes.
this.
07:12 PM on 08/16/12
devonhurt
Better Seasick than Landlocked
User Info.
03:58 AM on 08/17/12
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah, curious as to why they are terrible dudes
07:49 AM on 08/17/12
stradivari310
User Info.
I've never heard that before. My band almost recorded with their guitarist and he was really nice.
09:14 AM on 08/17/12
drumogre1420
One Way Passenger
User Info.
Playing with them. Not stoked if these dudes aren't cool dudes, dude.
01:15 PM on 08/17/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.

The EP really is legit, though.
03:58 PM on 08/17/12
devonhurt
Better Seasick than Landlocked
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They used to play a ton of shows in my basement before they got signed. They're one of those bands that NEEDS you to know that they're the biggest band on the gig. They never watched any of the other bands, and would just sit in their van until it was their time to play.
09:43 PM on 08/18/12
thedairyfairy
User Info.
I once played a basement show with them. Their singer, while they were playing, said something to the crowd that was along these lines:

"Fuck this show, I could be at home writing an essay right now."

In addition, didn't watch any other band or stick around for the headlining band when they played. Genuine assholes they are.
11:42 AM on 08/20/12
halfsleeper
User Info.
Considering I've known this band for about three years now, back when they didn't even play this kind of music, I have nothing bad to say about any of them as people. Rather, the exact opposite of what was originally posted: definitely some of the best dudes I know. I could go on further, but I'm sure more negative personal opinions would combat my own experiences.
11:42 AM on 08/20/12
halfsleeper
User Info.
AND this record RULES.
02:56 PM on 10/10/12
raphbastek
yusuke urameshi
User Info.
i really like these guys and this release. they have all been very nice to me and they're enjoyable to hang out with, regardless of whether at a show or not
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests