AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Purevolume News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Purevolume
Inside AP.net

Owl City Tries To Be "Accessible" In New...

Posted by: Jay Nainav (08/16/12)
Owl City aims for mass appeal with his forthcoming The Midsummer Station (as if that collaboration with Carly Rae Jepsen left things unclear). The bedroom pop wizard sat down with PureVolume to discuss how he went about making an "accessible" album that will overcome his "quirky stigma". He also details his work with Relient K's Matt Thiessen and more.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
01:52 PM on 08/16/12
rbf737
User Info.
He's coming to the 930 in DC in a few weeks and I was surprised he still hasn't sold the place out. Mayhaps the two are connected indirectly.
01:52 PM on 08/16/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
If the Shooting Star EP is any indication, this will be the best Owl City album of all time. His indietronica stuff is good, but it is a little TOO quirky at times.

And, Matt Thiessen can do no wrong.
01:54 PM on 08/16/12
RockVocalPower
Ups and Downsizing
User Info.
He's coming to the 930 in DC in a few weeks and I was surprised he still hasn't sold the place out. Mayhaps the two are connected indirectly.
His last 9:30 show did terrible. I'm sure this will be better with the success of "Good Time."
02:09 PM on 08/16/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I was not a fan of Good Times and while I listened to some of his songs a few years ago that Ocean Eyes album grew to be one of the worst albums I own. May give it a listen but I find it hard to get into his music and also why does every time I work Fireflies have to play. It was never a good song and only gets worse.

Will still give a listen to this but not a high priority. If most of the album is like Good Times than I may just stay away.
02:14 PM on 08/16/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
This will be his worst album. If those samples in itunes give any indication, most of the album it's the same pop-thing without originality over and over. Well, the Ocean Eyes era is long gone i guess.

Dementia, though, is still enjoyable and one of his best songs...
02:20 PM on 08/16/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
"Owl City aims for mass appeal with his forthcoming The Midsummer Station..."

Yes, and the album does just that. With artwork and a title like that, I hoped it was in the classic, quirky style. I'd have to say it's my least favorite album of his, but I still enjoy it for sure.
02:23 PM on 08/16/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i think it's a decent album. some really catchy tunes.
02:42 PM on 08/16/12
AeyElAeyEn
>>>
User Info.
It seems from the preview clips that this album will be half hit half miss. Kind of a shame, because I thought ATBAB was fucking fantastic throughout.
02:48 PM on 08/16/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
FFS, I was hoping for another drone metal album.
03:03 PM on 08/16/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
It seems from the preview clips that this album will be half hit half miss. Kind of a shame, because I thought ATBAB was fucking fantastic throughout.
Completely agree, ATBAB showed a really good progression from his past work, really good tunes there.
03:09 PM on 08/16/12
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
This will be his worst album. If those samples in itunes give any indication, most of the album it's the same pop-thing without originality over and over. Well, the Ocean Eyes era is long gone i guess.

Dementia, though, is still enjoyable and one of his best songs...
You nailed it. A good chunk of those TMS samples on iTunes seemed super-generic to me, with only a handful of stand-outs (like Dementia and Good Time). I thought his "quirkiness" and penchant for variety was what made the tunes on Ocean Eyes and ATBAB so great, so I'm afraid this album (aiming for the mainstream as it does) may be the first time Owl City lets me down, though I hope otherwise.
04:05 PM on 08/16/12
Fuck_yeah_dude
Doug J.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Some of the songs on TMS are really, REALLY great, but the majority aren't. His quirkyness is the reason I love him and his music so damn much. It's so wildly vivid and original. The new album is produced VERY expertly, but it just doesn't have the charm of his previous work because it's just not unique, no matter how you slice it. TMS is a pretty good modern synth pop album, but that's not really what I want.

I want less of "Woah, it's always a good time" and more of "Let go of the world you know and plug in the party lights, soak you cares in the solar flares that light up these island nights." I mean come on! Those lyrics are beautiful. Definitely a downgrade in TMS, which I am super bummed about, because I love and have loved the EVERLOVING FUCK out of Owl City, and pretty much everything Adam Young has touched. I hope moving forward he embraces the quirkiness again.

There's just so many expectations for a guy at his level, I imagine no matter how hard he tries to ignore it, there's a huge pressure looming and no matter how great of stuff he makes, he's gonna leave a lot of people disappointed, simply because his fan base is enormous. Ah well. I still wish the best to Adam and hopefully we can get some color and originality injected back in our veins on his next release.
04:30 PM on 08/16/12
IV.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I listened to the whole album front to back last night and I thought alot of the songs sound the same. I dont like it at all. But im gonna give it another listen to make sure im not being an asshole.
04:57 PM on 08/16/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
I want less of "Woah, it's always a good time" and more of "Let go of the world you know and plug in the party lights, soak you cares in the solar flares that light up these island nights." I mean come on! Those lyrics are beautiful. Definitely a downgrade in TMS, which I am super bummed about, because I love and have loved the EVERLOVING FUCK out of Owl City, and pretty much everything Adam Young has touched. I hope moving forward he embraces the quirkiness again.
My thoughts...EXACTLY.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums