Album Review

Jr. Juggernaut - Wake Album Cover

Jr. Juggernaut - Wake

Reviewed by
Jr. Juggernaut - Wake
Record Label: Paper + Plastick Records
Release Date: August 28, 2012

Who?

The only information you’ll find by doing a quick internet search for Jr. Juggernaut are a couple of live videos on Youtube and an album called Ghost Poison they released on Suburban Home in 2008. They’re so obscure, one of the sites Suburban Home directs you to to buy that album is Interpunk.com (literally the first time I’ve heard “Interpunk” since 2009 – glad to hear they’re still going). But here, lemme do your homework for you: Jr. Juggernaut is an alt-country band not afraid to show their appreciation for ‘90’s indie and grunge. They’re currently with Paper + Plastick Records, call Los Angeles their home and evidently have been around since 2003. Wake will only be their second full-length.

How is it?

With the amount of attention it’s been getting – which is to say minimal – Wake is poised to be the year’s most underrated record, and by a long shot. Everything on here just sounds great, which makes it all the more unfortunate it likely won’t get the recognition it deserves. Jr. Juggernaut seem a little more creative than their peers in Massy Ferguson, Two Cow Garage and Lucero (I’d probably say Drive-By Truckers as well), but maybe that’s just because every solo they unleash sweeps you cleanly off your feet. That’s something you’ll notice – the band has replaced steel guitars with thick and majestic guitar riffs that, when backed with polished production, sound like the triumph of angels (sorry for all the hyperbole, can you tell I like this album?).

Choice cuts include the catchy “Heaven Knows My Name,” “The Revolution,” “Breath On Bone,” “This Is Love” and exquisite closer “Heart Attacked,” but really, there aren’t any clear duds. Each track ponders life, love and on one occasion, the heartbreak of a military family (“Give Me My Son”). My favorite line comes from “This Is Love:” “I believe in Jesus the same way I believe in ghosts. If you see 'em then you see 'em, if you don’t then you don’t.” Waxing a little existential over an alt-country backdrop? I don’t know about you, but that’s pretty much all I ever want in my music.

9/10

This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:13 PM on 08/20/12
Quijiba
User Info.
sounds interesting, i'll have to check this out
10:00 PM on 08/20/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
You had me at "They're so obscure..." And alt/country. My God. This was fate. I love this band.
08:13 AM on 08/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Judging from your description, it sounds like these dudes might sound a bit like Dino Jr
09:34 AM on 08/21/12
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
You had me at "They're so obscure..." And alt/country. My God. This was fate. I love this band.

Yes! Knew you'd love them. You're an authority here on this genre. If you're digging it, then it's certified great. Did Thomas send you a link for the album?

Judging from your description, it sounds like these dudes might sound a bit like Dino Jr

To be completely honest, I've never given Dinosaur Jr. an honest listen. I'll check them out.
09:40 AM on 08/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Yes! Knew you'd love them. You're an authority here on this genre. If you're digging it, then it's certified great. Did Thomas send you a link for the album?
To be completely honest, I've never given Dinosaur Jr. an honest listen. I'll check them out.

What?! Hang on....what?!

I think stereogum recently ranked their albums from best to worst. Might be good place to start. They just dropped a new video this morning as well from their upcoming album.

Look up the vids for "Feel the Pain" and "Start Choppin"

Cheers
09:43 AM on 08/21/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
What's your opinion of Ghost Poison ? Worth checking out?
09:44 AM on 08/21/12
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
What?! Hang on....what?!

I think stereogum recently ranked their albums from best to worst. Might be good place to start. They just dropped a new video this morning as well from their upcoming album.

Look up the vids for "Feel the Pain" and "Start Choppin"

Cheers
Ha I know, lame right? Thanks for the tips.
09:47 AM on 08/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This is my favorite release of ours this year so far. I love this album.
09:52 AM on 08/21/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This is my favorite release of ours this year so far. I love this album.
So do I. Thanks for sending it along, cowboy.
09:59 AM on 08/21/12
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
What's your opinion of Ghost Poison ? Worth checking out?
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it. But I can tell you Wake is incredible.
10:02 AM on 08/21/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it. But I can tell you Wake is incredible.
Mmmmhhhh...I'm gonna give Ghost a chance. Stoked to hear Wake as well.
01:13 PM on 08/21/12
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
for those curious about Ghost Poison, get into it. good stuff.

absolutely excited for this one.
01:35 PM on 08/21/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Lucero meets 90s rock is one of the best sounding RIYLs ever. Wish the spinner stream was working for me. Will certainly check this out when its released.
02:16 PM on 08/21/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Lucero meets 90s rock is one of the best sounding RIYLs ever. Wish the spinner stream was working for me. Will certainly check this out when its released.
Preorders will be up on Monday and they will include an immediate download.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos