Album Review

Twenty One Pilots - Three Songs Album Cover

Twenty One Pilots - Three Songs

Reviewed by
Twenty One Pilots - Three Songs
Record Label: Fueled By Ramen
Release Date: July 17,2012
"Stay strong. Live on. Pass on these songs."

These are the words lining Columbus, Ohio's up and coming superstars Twenty One Pilots' Facebook and Twitter page, and what can I say? I plan on doing all three of those things.
Consisting of two men by the names of Joshua Dun and Tyler Joseph who are coming into today's music scene with a huge bang! If you are a fan of Electronic, if you are a fan of Alternative, if you are a fan of Hip-Hop then imagine all these genres combined into one and that is what you can somewhat use to describe Twenty One Pilots and their oh-so unique sound.
Just recently they grew some buzz over a hometown show that caught the eyes of Fueled By Ramen (Paramore, fun., etc.) and off they went to record just three songs as sort of a little preview to show what is changing with them as they gained a label, and it is even better than what anyone would have expected.

We start things off here with Guns For Hands, those who have already been following the group will know this is a re-release from their Regional At Best album that was released last year as well as the final song, Ode To Sleep. Only leaving room for yes, one brand new never before heard song. Although, both of these remade songs are quite the step up from their previous attempts as they now have the record label support and all it has done is captured the sound you loved so much and made it ten times bigger. Ode To Sleep specifically, just made me want to lose all control as it has such an interchanging sound throughout starting with an almost Dubstep beat (no pun) to reveal Tyler Joseph come in with some intense rapping and all too soon the song completely strays from the sound you heard in the beginning to reveal a chorus that has piano keys, hand claps, a steady drum beat by Joshua Dun, and soaring vocals that resemble something you might hear on an alternative radio station. You might be thinking, "how can this be done?" But truthfully they transition quite smoothly from one to the other and do it two times in this particular song. Check this song out to form a decent opinion of them because it certainly shows several sides of what you'll get from them.

Now on to the highlight of these three songs, the previously unreleased Migraine, a song that honestly threw me off with the first listen because of the intro vocals. Somewhat resembling a robot comes in what you wouldn't expect to be the chorus, "Am I the only one I know? / Raging my wars behind my face / And above my throat / Shadows will scream that I'm alone" and then drops in the beat immediately which Tyler Smoothly raps over and all you can really do is nod your head and feel good. This song shows a similar structure to Ode To Sleep with it's more Hip-Hop verses and the alternative shift into the chorus but it contains a much more apt approach and a stronger, well, everything. This song does nothing but show that Twenty One Pilots is not selling out with their label and really just taking this opportunity to improve on their already distinct sound.

Everything about these two and their music is truly inspirational. Their lyrics shine hope and happiness, Tyler's voice completely stands out and has bundles of confidence as well as his piano playing, While Joshua certainly knows to handle his kit and it just seems too me that this is something that was meant to happen, even without a label there's no doubt this music was taking them somewhere and I can only feel humble to be here to watch what happens and praise them in this review.

If you've never heard of Twenty One Pilots before, just wait, you will.

Recommended If You Like The Killers; Eminem; something different; Electronic music
This review is a user submitted review from cut!print. You can see all of cut!print's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
04:23 PM on 08/28/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Great review
06:33 PM on 08/28/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.

Thank you. I noticed a few missteps when I just re-read it but for the most part it feels strong.
02:58 AM on 10/25/12
Androidsheep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am so glad you wrote this review. I have loved this band since I heard them about a year ago.
Great to see they are getting some notoriety :D
05:46 AM on 12/01/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
I am so glad you wrote this review. I have loved this band since I heard them about a year ago.
Great to see they are getting some notoriety :D
You are very welcome then :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests