Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

07:09 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 21 Years Old
For those just in-

Myself and 19 other AP.net members participated in the AP.net Fantasy Band Draft. We took turns drafting musicians, just as you would with any other fantasy sport.
Link to the original draft thread: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2837382

After we had completed our bands, we ranked eachother using the Borda Count Method (1st place vote = 8 points, 2nd place vote = 7 points, etc.) until we came up with the Top 5 bands via our point system.
Link to the discussion of the rankings: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2856232
Link to the Google Docs Spreadsheet displaying rankings: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...RTTBLVVE#gid=0

Now that we've come up with the Top 5 bands, we'd like YOU, the rest of AP.net, to vote on your favorites via the poll above. I know a lot of users have wanted to participate/voice their opinions, so now's your chance! Come vote and hang out, talk to the draft participants, other members, whatever.

Below is the rosters and descriptions of the Top 5 bands. Read through them and pick whichever one is your favorite! Use whatever criteria you deem necessary in your selection, whether that be band cohesiveness, experimentation, originality, uniqueness or otherwise. Please only vote once.

Without further adieu, the bands, in the order in which their fellow participants ranked them:

___________________________________ ___________________________________ ___________________________________ ______

1) Erik the Orange's Band
Jamie xx - Drums/Production
Tim Hecker - Production/Piano
David Bowie - Vocals
Aphex Twin - Guitar/Synthesizer/Multi-Instrumentalist
Brian Eno- Bass/Keyboards/Multi-Instrumentalist

2) ChaplainTappman's Band: Tabula Rasa
Patrick Stickle of Titus Andronicus - Vocals/Guitar
Joe Easly of The Dismemberment Plan - Drums
Brian Kingof Japandroids - Guitar/Bass/Vocals
Damian Abraham of Fucked Up - Vocals
EMA - bass/electronics/backing vox

Bringing together some of the biggest names in punk, Tabula Rasa plays to it's strengths - the band writes long-winded meditations on life and the human condition (a la Titus Andronicus) and features Stickles and Abraham trading vocals back and forth, with EMA providing the vocals for interludes and when the moment calls for it, a more feminine take on the material. Dismemberment Plan drummer Joe Easly gives the band a more offbeat rhythmic pattern and giving Stickles' nihilism-tinged poetic musings an opportunity to be heard over songs with different structures than Titus' own.

3) Kyle Huntington's Band: Life On Air
Damon Albarn of Blur/Gorillaz etc. - Keys/Guitar/Production/Songwriting/Vocals
Orlando Weeks of The Maccabees/Young Colossus - Lead Vocals/Guitar/Songwriting
Ernest Greene of Washed Out - Production/Synths/Samples/Bass/Backing Vocals
Channy Leaneagh of Poliça/Gayngs - Vocals/Percussion
Bryan Devendorf of The National - Drums

Imagine capturing the essence and sound of nature in a band, each member bringing what feels like an element, or a quality of an element, to the table and combining it...collaborating with the other elements to create a landscape with music in the truest sense of the term. Damon Albarn acting as the ringleader or composer of the elements, directing the flow whilst offering his vocal and instrumental input throughout. Channy Leaneagh's wind-like vocals/effects and percussive additions sweeping in and out of the multi-layered process all the while complimenting as a beautiful harmony for the lead vocals. Bryan Devendorf's almost tribal like, authoritative drums being the fire that everything dances around. Orlando Weeks' combination of the most delicate and subtle guitar parts, jagged and in-your-face riffs plus his warm and Earthy lead vocals holding it all together on Ernest Greene's water-like qualities and synths, deep bubbling bass, and samples that provide the waves and current to wash and carry everything along.

Life On Air started when Damon Albarn heard Orlando Weeks' Young Colossus project and wanted to expand on the idea and themes with new musicians, a full live band that could stretch the soundscape as wide as it could go whilst each bringing something incredibly unique to the table. The two quickly started brainstorming a list of artists that they are not only great fans of from across the pond but that would also fit the bill perfectly, which is when the remaining three members were recruited, all of whom were instantly interested and on board after knowing what an innovative and influential force Albarn can be. The group soon found a house closer to nature in its surroundings and rented this property in Colorado to write, record and spend months working on their debut album together. The final product is a modern masterpiece of indie rock x electronic music + specks of folk without pretense or forcing their initial naturalistic inspiration on the listener. It's a concept that will only continue to evolve and grow once the band take their show on a world tour, incorporating stunning lights, visuals and art with their live performances to really display the beauty of Life On Air.

4) M.Lee's Band: Airwolf
Mike Hadreas of Perfume Genius - Vocals/Guitar/Synth
Suzie Zeldin of The Narrative - Vocals/Piano
Johnny Jewel of Chromatics - Bass/Production/Programming/Everything
Julia Holter - Backing Vocals/Keys/Organ/Harpischord
Corin Roddick of Purity Ring - Drums/Additional Production

Mike Hadreas (aka Perfume Genius) is no stranger to anguish. Penning lyrics about abuse, molestation, addiction and underage relationships makes you question his view of the human condition. Songs such as "All Waters" and "No Tear" encapsulate this idea of tons of misery and sadness surrounding small moments of victory. But it's not the triumphs that make his music sympathetic-- it’s how he deals with such issues, with resilience and self-awareness and courage and even a recurring sense of hope.

Hadreas' complex melodies combined with his warm acoustic guitar sets the tone for this group; it all begins with him. Zeldin's haunting, airy voice perfectly compliments singer/songwriter Hadreas' style of chamber pop.

Jewel's analog synths and crisp bass tones touch on the already present spectral, orchestral sound to bring the band to further heights. But to relegate Jewel to just instrumentation would be a disservice. He is a mastermind producer with a touch for the cinematic (see: Themes for an Imaginary Film and the Drive soundtrack) and using music to tell stories. Holter is no stranger to blending her classical instrumentation with a more upbeat, poppy, electronic sound. Her brand of ethereal pop manages to be quite engaging and dramatic without being ostentatious which fits her role in the band perfectly. Roddick's ambient beats and fluid drumming add a different dimension; a new layer of sound that brings the whole group together.

5) DjWildefire's Band: Smooth As Silk
D'Angelo - Vocals/piano/keyboards/organ
Eric Clapton - Guitar
Erykah Badu - Vocals
Danger Mouse - Drums/Production
Owen Biddle of ex-The Roots - Bass.

Expect Smooth as Silk, a supergroup featuring D'Angelo, Erykah Badu, Eric Clapton, Owen Biddle, and Danger Mouse, to sensually massage your eardrums with soulful, funky, sexy melodies. After working on his comeback album for God-knows-how-long over the past decade, D'Angelo decided to sidetrack himself once more by forming a neo-soul supergroup featuring the genre's king and queen -- respectively, himself and Erykah Badu. Once Erykah agreed to the idea, the two realized they needed a killer back-up band. They contacted Owen Biddle for his bass playing first, knowing he'd have some free time after his departure from The Roots. He'd lend just the kind of jazz and hip-hop sensibilities to perfectly complement the duo's sultry vocals. Next, they reached out to Danger Mouse, as all three are huge fans of his work with Gnarls Barkley. He'd be able to add some funk and production skills to the mix. Then these four came together to discuss the final missing piece -- a guitarist. Everyone came to the same conclusion; Eric Clapton was the man for the job due to his blues and rock roots, years of experience, and pure skill. When Eric agreed, the five came together to rehearse; the chemistry was immediate and palpable. Make sure to look out for an album from Smooth as Silk, as it's rumored they've been jamming and writing in the studio for the past couple months.

**ATTENTION!**

Due to the eagerness of some unable to be involved with this draft as well as my desire to try and perfect this draft process so it goes smoother than ever we will be having ANOTHER draft immediately after this poll closes. If interested please express that interest in the replies. Please read the PRE-REQUISITES to the draft via the last sign up thread and keep that in mind before committing. We will be taking 25 participants this time as opposed to the 20 for this draft.

If you have any questions just ask.

As far as any rule changes for this upcoming draft, for those involved in this draft, past drafts and this upcoming draft, feel free to discuss the best possible options.

Thx guize.

AP Band Draft Sign Up Sheet

1. DylanPPPP
2. EndlessPrisoner
3. SophGod
4. M.Lee
5. Guitarguy11
6. Erik the Orange
7. _veges_
8. DjWildefire
9. Gurg
10. KenneyBN
11. Fame<Infamy
12. Numero10
13. Dustin Harkins
07:11 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
am dead.

RIP chris.
07:12 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
Also easy vote, VOTE M.LEE
07:13 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 21 Years Old
I like M.Lee's band most as well.
07:17 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
Kent/London, England
Male
Staff Member
Posted this thread on front page as news.
07:19 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
sign me up for the next one
07:20 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
voted chap.
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 21 Years Old
Posted this thread on front page as news.

Thanks, Kyle. You've been a really great part of this draft and you're obviously welcome in the next one.
User Info.
DylanPPPP
Hey, are you a dreamer?
Midland, MI
Male - 21 Years Old

Officially ending the brief yet satisfying soph/chap beef.
07:23 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
Male - 23 Years Old
gave my vote to dj olivia wilde

sign me up for the next one I guess
07:24 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Sakarazu
Just a little nervous from the fall
Boston
Male - 18 Years Old

fk u chris
07:25 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
Male - 23 Years Old
I like M.Lee's band most as well.
Also easy vote, VOTE M.LEE

: )
07:28 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
Kent/London, England
Male
Staff Member
Thanks, Kyle. You've been a really great part of this draft and you're obviously welcome in the next one.
Cheers mate, I'll sit out of the next one and let someone else take a spot. Thanks for including me in this one when it all went a bit weird at the beginning. Been fun, will do one after next to have a lil break and let others have a pop.
07:30 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
Kent/London, England
Male
Staff Member
This will be fun to watch my band (already) be incredibly unpopular and get no votes.
07:35 PM on 08/22/12 
User Info.
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
Salem, OR
Male
Voted M Lee--Suzie Zeldin won me over.

After watching the last few, I'd be interested in joining if there's a spot for me. Thanks for running this!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos