AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Dear World, Meet: AbsoluteVoices

Posted by - 02:45 AM on 08/27/12
Today is one of those special days where I get to say a new part of the dream I've had for the past 12 or so years is coming true. It comes with great pride that we can announce something that I've been working on behind the scenes for over a year: the formation of a new publishing group that we're dubbing "AbsoluteVoices" (yeah, I'm not all that creative with names). You can check out the full press release below, but first I'd like to officially welcome and thank PunkNews.org, PropertyOfZack.com, UnderTheGunReview.net, and AlterThePress.com for agreeing to be part of a vision for what the future of music blogging and the publishing world can look like online. I feel like each site offers an extremely unique "voice" and perspective on the music that we love, and I'm extremely excited to see what we can all do moving forward together. Over the rest of the week I'll be posting some interviews with each of the site's main editors to talk more about how we will all be working together, and what we'll be doing to bring you the best content, the best exclusives, and how we see a deeper integration forming over the next year or so. Also, feel free to ask any questions in the replies -- I'll be checking in most of the day to answer ones that pop-up.

Press ReleaseLOS ANGELES (August 27th, 2012): Digital media publisher BUZZMEDIA today announced the acquisition of authentic, go-to punk rock sites Under The Gun Review, Alter The Press! and PropertyOfZack. These three sites will join forces with BUZZMEDIA’s AbsolutePunk, the definitive source for punk rock news, and the also-acquired Punknews.org, and roll up under a new suite of online punk music properties titled AbsoluteVoices.

AbsolutePunk will serve as a central hub to the broader AbsoluteVoices publishing group, expanding its robust editorial offerings, while bringing a wider variety of perspectives and in-depth music coverage to its extensive reader base and fan community.

“AbsoluteVoices puts a spotlight on some of the most unique and up-and-coming voices in punk rock reporting and brings them to AbsolutePunk.net, which over the years has become the largest online gathering place for the punk rock fan community,” said Bill Jensen, BUZZMEDIA vice president and general manager of music. “Thirty years later, American youth still passionately identify with the intensity and forward-thinking music and style of punk.”

Each of the AbsoluteVoices properties brings a distinct point of view and reporting style to punk and alternative rock news coverage:

· Punknews.org, founded in 1998, is one of the pioneers in online music news and fan community-building around punk, ska, hardcore, emo, metal and indie genres;

· PropertyOfZack is the leading punk destination on Tumblr, and promotes the best known and breaking bands on the pop-punk spectrum through in-depth interviews, reviews and exclusive content;

· Alter The Press! is an online alternative music publication featuring exclusive video content including acoustic sessions and live recorded features; album and song streams; and the latest news, interviews and reviews with today’s relevant artists;

· Under The Gun Review covers entertainment for today’s generation, expanding beyond alternative music to film and standup comedy.

“Through AbsoluteVoices, we’re bringing together four of the most exciting sites in the punk rock scene and helping them do what they do best: report on music in their own unique voices,” said Jason Tate, AbsolutePunk founder. “AbsolutePunk is the largest punk music destination on the Web, with an active community. These sites will now lend their distinct and authoritative voices to the converation.”

"Punknews.org has always had a great relationship with BUZZMEDIA,” said Punknews.org founder and editor Aubin Paul. “They have worked hard to make sure we have everything we need to build great content and great communities while respecting and encouraging our independence. It couldn't be a better fit."

AbsolutePunk continues to be the leader in its category and, since 2000, has reported from the front lines of punk rock music discovery, being among the first to report about then-emerging acts including Blink 182, Yellowcard, Brand New, Something Corporate, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance, Paramore, Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco.

The acquisitions come on the heels of recent deals announced by BUZZMEDIA including the acquisition of SPIN Media. BUZZMEDIA’s existing suite of leading music properties establish them as the fourth largest digital publisher of original music content in the U.S. in terms of reach, alongside MTV, Yahoo! Music and AOL Music, according to comScore*.

*"Original Music Content" category as custom-defined by BUZZMEDIA. BUZZMEDIA defines an "original music content publisher" as a publisher within the comScore Entertainment-Music category who creates original digital content focused on music reporting and criticism. Ranking is based on May 2012 comScore data release.

About BUZZMEDIA

BUZZMEDIA is the leader in pop culture and millennial audience reach, with more than 120 million monthly unique visitors and one in four millennials in the U.S. every month. BUZZMEDIA publishes more than 40 authoritative brands whose voices define categories and culture, including SPIN, Celebuzz, Stereogum, Videogum, Buzznet, TheSuperficial, Idolator, PureVolume, Hype Machine, AbsolutePunk, What Would Tyler Durden Do?, SocialiteLife, Go Fug Yourself, Just Jared, Pink is the New Blog, Gorilla vs. Bear, RCRD LBL, TheFrisky!, Concrete Loop, Brooklyn Vegan and Punknews. As measured by comScore, BUZZMEDIA is the largest digital publisher in Entertainment News and the fourth largest digital publisher of original music content in the U.S. BUZZMEDIA uses its massive reach, deep audience engagement and understanding of the young adult audience to provide customized, innovative marketing and advertising solutions across its branded properties.

Ok, now that that's done ... let's get ready for the launch of the new website layout: APv3. I will get this thing out by the end of the year if it kills me.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 136
02:58 AM on 08/27/12
musicenthusiast
nah mean?
User Info.
do the other sites provide anything that can't be found first on absolutepunk?
03:10 AM on 08/27/12
Jake Denning
User Info.

They have their own individual staff that have often insightful things to say. To me, that's the highlight of this announcement: a collective of great people coming together.
03:15 AM on 08/27/12
SilenceBrokenTT
Here I am alive...
User Info.
Shoulda gone with Absolute World Wide (Wide, wide, wide, wide...).

Seriously though, this is a pretty awesome announcement. Congrats to all involved in making this happen.
03:36 AM on 08/27/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The other sites provide pretty different "products" from AP.net, in my opinion. Punknews covers, obviously, a more punk spectrum, and they usually write longer stories. There's a lot of social talk there too, which kinda comes with the world of punk rock obviously, but you can also find that in the AP.net forums. I think POZ is the best news site that isn't AP.net, they report a lot of stuff before anyone else and Zack's interviews are always awesome. ATP has a lot of neat features like the "albums that changed my life" and 10-year retrospective interviews. UTG covers other areas of entertainment like movies and comedy too, so there's definitely something there that you don't see in our news feed.

I don't think any of these sites are clones of AP.net, which is why I'm excited about Voices. Like Jason wrote and like the name implies, these sites very much have their own styles and their own voices, and even though they've all teamed up together, their separate staffs will keep the individualism of the websites intact.
03:37 AM on 08/27/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Great news, doesn't really shock me though since all the POZ posts made me think something like this was going to go down. I just didn't think it would include all those other sites
04:06 AM on 08/27/12
punchedbyagirl
blaremagazine.com // Josh
User Info.
The other sites provide pretty different "products" from AP.net, in my opinion. Punknews covers, obviously, a more punk spectrum, and they usually write longer stories. There's a lot of social talk there too, which kinda comes with the world of punk rock obviously, but you can also find that in the AP.net forums. I think POZ is the best news site that isn't AP.net, they report a lot of stuff before anyone else and Zack's interviews are always awesome. ATP has a lot of neat features like the "albums that changed my life" and 10-year retrospective interviews. UTG covers other areas of entertainment like movies and comedy too, so there's definitely something there that you don't see in our news feed.

I don't think any of these sites are clones of AP.net, which is why I'm excited about Voices. Like Jason wrote and like the name implies, these sites very much have their own styles and their own voices, and even though they've all teamed up together, their separate staffs will keep the individualism of the websites intact.
There's definitely a lot of variety and awesome features, but will the other outlets keep their sites or will they be solely sourcing their stuff through AP.net or a separate Voices site?
05:21 AM on 08/27/12
sooperdoodey
User Info.
So what exactly is going to change?
05:44 AM on 08/27/12
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
This is really cool, Jason. Are we going to see some kind of ticker(s) for the other sites on the new AP.net, or am I taking the terms "centralized" and "hub" too literally?
06:24 AM on 08/27/12
Filip Matous
Canuck living in London
User Info.
Smart business move Jason, being the hub of the punk (and more of course) music syndicate. Really cool to see you successful. I've been lurking weekly since my mxpx days in 2000 (and daily whenever the end of the year lists start going up)!
06:41 AM on 08/27/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
This is an awesome move, both business-wise and community-wise. But like everyone else, I'm wondering how exactly it's all going to work. But I suppose we'll find out soon enough.
06:51 AM on 08/27/12
James Shotwell
User Info.
It's finally public! Woohoo!

06:57 AM on 08/27/12
tozborne
Writer, Under the Gun Review
User Info.
Really excited about this.
07:02 AM on 08/27/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
It's been a long time coming, and we're really excited. Our release/announcement can be read here if anyone is interested.

Woo
07:05 AM on 08/27/12
_veges_
User Info.
Very cool

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT