AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Flobots - The Circle in the Square Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.13
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 4.88
Production 4.38
Creativity 4.38
Lasting Value 3.63
Reviewer Tilt 3.88
Average: 43%
Inside AP.net

Flobots - The Circle in the Square

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (08/27/12)
Flobots - The Circle in the Square
Record Label: Shanachie Records
Release Date: August 28, 2012

It made me laugh once to see the song “Handlebars” on a karaoke list one Saturday night some time ago. Not because I don’t think the song should be sung under the possible influence of alcohol in front of strangers who are probably expecting you to belt out some sort of Top 40 or mainstream rock hit, but because it helps to see a familiar name on the list. Flobots may have dropped off in popularity a little since then, but five years removed from the release of Fight with Tools we are given the band's second attempt to both progress and inspire with the properly titled The Circle in the Square. And while the mixture of social, political and personal messages are heatseeking in nature, musically the band’s funky, often gloomy vibe has uneven results – making this album a mixed bag of messages and musical landscapes that sadly ends up being filed as a disappointment.

The titular single suffers from a rough hook musically and lyrically, killing the mystified energy of opener “Flokovsky” despite a percussion-bolstered beat and a catchy enough melody. Call it a swing and a miss, but “Run (Run Run Run)” picks us back up with a grimy, yet oddly upbeat vibe that begs you to bob your head. That seems to be the story of this record musically – for every missed swing, Flobots seem to jump right back into the action with something twice as powerful. Where “On Loss and Having” seems to drown in its simply unfocused execution besides spitting some somewhat evil melodies, the dark bump of “Gonna Be Free” pounds like a strike to an anvil, bringing a less is more mindset to the table in an arguably much more successful execution.

But the success, at least in terms of the vibe, of this record lies in the versatility of the emotions they can summon despite the not as always visible shifts in instrumentation. “Stop the Apocalypse” is bouncy at times while still sounding ominous – and with good reason – while “Loneliness” seeps somber violins and a laid-back bass that creates a near-perfect match for the looping line of ‘Why don’t you tell ‘em about the loneliness?’. It’s one of the few times this album seems truly in sync with all of its constantly churning parts, a ballad of sorts in an album otherwise more lenient on mid-tempo marchers and upbeat calls to arms.

Yet while more prevalent in some spots than in others, the brooding, dark sounds of this disc fuel Flobots mouthpieces Jamie Laurie and Stephen Brackett through political (“The Circle”), personal (“The Rose and the Thistle”) and social (“#OccupyEarth”) inspirations. Again, the vocal contributions suffer a similar fate – a path of ups and downs that keep this album from truly soaring. “On Loss and Having” hinges on slightly sung vocals that simply don’t work, but its not really the band’s strong suit either. “Sides” is fueled enough though, with a punching pulse of percussion and an inspired melodic assault, that the lyrics and varying flows that play to and against the beat.

I wouldn’t say Flobots have lost it, as in terms of a message and showing conviction in that message, this is a band that has always succeeded in letting us know and feel what they have to say. But musically, The Circle in the Square is a bit too wobbly to stand up even amongst the rock acts channeling hip-hop a little less obviously. It’s a shame too, because the words sang, rapped and spoken have enough of a heart that they deserve to be listened to – even if it won’t propel the band to their once heightened popularity this time around.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
07:29 AM on 08/28/12
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
User Info.
08:43 AM on 08/28/12
Goat01
No Retreat, No Regrets.
User Info.
I thought Survival Story was really solid, I wish it had gotten more recognition. I'll definitely check this one out.
10:32 AM on 08/28/12
ZackBagofDouche
User Info.
11:10 AM on 08/28/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i used to really like this band, and now i find them kind of unlistenable.
11:10 AM on 08/28/12
falko
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been listening to this album all day today; and I must admit that I am slightly disappointed.

I am a huge Flobots fan and ensured that I got Circle in the Square as soon as it was released. Unfortunately, I didn't get the immediate head-bopping excitement I got listening to Fight with Tools for the first time.

The songs lack the optimism that was captured in earlier work by the band and, so far, this record just seems to be sombre and uninspiring.

Maybe my expectations were too high? Maybe by listening to them a few more times, the songs will grow on me? I really hope so.
08:10 PM on 08/28/12
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
i used to really like this band, and now i find them kind of unlistenable.
Agreed.
08:54 PM on 08/30/12
wtfjaked
Tortoise Tamer
User Info.
I think this is definitely their weakest effort, but I still think it's solid. I really dig it.
08:36 AM on 09/01/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Yeah, I heard this wasn't very good at all.
07:54 PM on 09/01/12
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
User Info.
I didn't even know they had a new record out. I might check it out just to see what it's like, but this band has definitely fallen off the radar for me.
10:56 AM on 09/02/12
MyJukeboxBroke
I need a Couch
User Info.
ill most likely pass on this
05:23 PM on 12/19/12
alice123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Havianas, Merrell, Naot, Nunn Bush, Rockport, and Birkenstock. When choosing sandals, first think about what you intend to use them for and then search through brands good the northface coupons warm enough with that theme, Major themes are surf sandals (Reef, O'Neill, Scott Hawaii), casual dress sandals (Birkenstock), casual comfort sandals (Clogs), outdoor sport sandals (Teva, Keen), and athletic casual sandals (Reebok, New Balance).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums