AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Stepdad - Widlife Pop Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Stepdad - Widlife Pop

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (08/28/12)
Stepdad - Wildlife Pop
Record Label: Black Bell Records
Release Date: June 12, 2012

There's a lot one can say about Stepdad. But after one listen to their debut LP Wildlife Pop, the word brilliant springs to mind. On the whole, Wildlife Pop is dance-infused electro-pop that is summery, infectious and nothing short of resplendent. Opener "Must Land Running," kickstarts things immediately and does little to disappoint. It is a straight up dance cut and a surefire summer song, and that is a trend that is repeated from start to finish. The falsetto-laden "Jungles," is another near-perfect, radio-ready effort that is nothing short of pitch-perfect, electro-pop heaven. "Show Me Your Blood," is glittery and histrionic, while "Will I Ever Dance Again," is falsetto-laden and fantastic. The disc's first half ends with "To Ribbons," another splashy and synth-heavy effort that finds the band making very few mistakes.

The album hits its apex though at the beginning of the second half. The shimmering "My Leather, My Fur, My Nails," is arguably one of 2012's best songs and the irresistible "Pick and Choose," is destined for mass exposure. The trippy albeit carefree "Starfriends on Earth," is a carnivalesque effort that seems to straddle a line somewhere between LSD and Studio 54. "Treasure Hugs," is a foot-tapping effort with little flaws, while penultimate cut "Exploring," revisits the same theme and landscape as "Show Me Your Blood." Wildlife Pop finishes with "Warrior (Jungles Part 2)," an incredibly strong final statement and the last reason to give this band more listens.

Stepdad is anchored by their charismatic frontman Mark Tafel, who performs under the stage name Ultramark and has the same semblance of mojo that made the Gibb Brothers such a huge draw during their heyday. As the video for "Will I Ever Dance Again," proves, the band certainly doesn't take themselves seriously and perform their music with a care-free zest that is both refreshing and ultimately very rewarding. While there are many strong outfits that call Michigan home, Stepdad just might be the top of the heap. One listen to Wildlife Pop proves exactly that.

Recommended If You Like Passion Pit, Dan Deacon, Steve Aoki, F-cked Up, Bee Gees, Pomegranates

Find Them Here http://www.stepdad.us

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
02:06 PM on 08/28/12
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Album is good fun.
05:21 PM on 08/28/12
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
I saw these guys on warped tour and was pleasantly supervised by their set
07:41 PM on 08/28/12
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
One of my favorite albums of the year. Probably in my top 5.
07:50 PM on 08/28/12
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
that video is one of the best i've seen
09:34 PM on 08/28/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Beast of a band, this is real sweet.
10:18 PM on 08/28/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Album and review are great.
10:21 PM on 08/28/12
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Also, this is hardly worth mentioning, but I found it a little interesting that two bands from Grand Rapids, Michigan (Stepdad and La Dispute) both had albums come out within a year of each other whose title contained the word Wildlife. Just an observation.
04:42 AM on 08/29/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Also, this is hardly worth mentioning, but I found it a little interesting that two bands from Grand Rapids, Michigan (Stepdad and La Dispute) both had albums come out within a year of each other whose title contained the word Wildlife. Just an observation.
That is truly odd, lol.
07:46 AM on 09/02/12
BaysideFan88
User Info.
Such a fun and amazing album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music