AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Velvet Star - 08.28.12

Interviewed by
Velvet Star - 08.28.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Velvet Star

www.facebook.com/velvetstarband
www.myspace.com/velvetstarband

INTERVIEW answered by Danny Jones (Vocals)

1. How did you get your band name?

Velvet Star the name, came from my lower back (tramp stamp) star tattoo. Unfortunately there's no great insightful story behind it.

2. How did this band get started?

The band was formed by me and my brother Corey , we then had to find other people to form the rest of the band. It has taken a few modifications line-up wise to get things feeling right. Trial & Error. What's gone before has helped to get us here now. And things definitely feel very good right now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We all have very different influences and I believe this is why it is hard to pigeon hole the exact sound of the band. I am influenced by a diverse range of bands. Anyone from Marilyn Manson to Michael Jackson has probably made an impact on me at some time. Corey's main influence is Metallica. Ginna's main influence for playing in a band is Adam and The Ants. Mewsy is influenced by old punk bands and bands like Aerosmith. Rob likes listens to a lot of Metal bands.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

I would love to tour with Rob Zombie with his current line up (John 5, Ginger Fish, Piggy D). It is a fantastic live show and seeing the full production with pyros etc being set up and performed every night would be awesome.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

The best food to eat on tour is without a doubt chicken (preferably with some Peri Peri) washed down with some Haribo Strawbs. Haribo Strawbs pretty much fuel Velvet Star on the road!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because the Power of Rock N Roll is good for the Soul!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Usain Bolt. Probably a little bit of a cliché answer but he is cool in every situation. Nothing ever seems to faze him.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

There are a lot of people that would get thanks. Especially the people who have been there from the early days. Our fans will always be top of our list.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Where would I start??? A lot of guitar bands don’t even get looked at or get a shot at a major label because of the guitar. It doesn’t seem to be as cool to be able to play the guitar anymore. I’m all for evolution of music but there are some pretty cool rock n roll bands around at the minute. The music industry is pretty much on it's arse at the minute. The digital age has left everyone in a daze & we're all still trying to catch up.

10. Memorable tour experience?

There are too many to name just one specific tour event or experience. Plus most of them would probably get us into a lot of trouble.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It’s a cool place to find out about all sorts of music news and bands. I think the future of a lot of bands is in the hands of such websites.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favourite song to play has to be ‘Bring It On’ from the new E.P ‘All or Nothing’. It is very angst driven and very much a statement of intent. If you want some, come get some!!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

A vacation? We move around a lot but rarely stay in Hotels so we can't even class touring as a sort of vacation. London is cool though. Camden has our kinda vibe.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

I was very much brought up on eighties alt bands such as Bauhaus, Killing Joke, etc. But also the 80’s new romantics too Duran Duran, Human League, etc.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

It’s not so much of a super power but I would be Iron Man because any time Tony Stark thinks ‘I need to be stronger’, he makes the suit stronger. Anytime he thinks ‘I want to fly faster’, he makes the suit faster. I know it’s a bit of a cheating answer but there ya go!!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Mewsy wears girls pants!!! You can't really follow that to be honest. He is especially partial to ‘She-ra’ pants!!!!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

You gotta keep some thing’s a secret!! Ha ha! I eat a lot of Chicken!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

It seems to be the more money you pay the more play you get. I think if the right person got hold of our stuff then we could really flourish. There's a lot of great underground internet radio shows these days but if the likes of Zane Lowe played our music I think our next tour could include Hotels.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I mainly hit the gym when not out with the band. But I do enjoy going to the cinema and ‘getting the chicken on’ at Nando’s!

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I could set your back with a few cracks & pulls!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests