AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Gung - 08.29.12

Interviewed by
Gung - 08.29.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Gung

http://facebook.com/gungisaband
http://gung.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Our "bass" player, Tom, modified a Fender Telecaster guitar into a bass which he uses alternate tunings to create a higher-ranged and cutting bass tone. Our earliest songs were written around riffs using that alternate tuning and we wanted to find a name that somewhat described the sound. I was heading to practice one day and just thought of the name randomly... I came in and said "Gung" and everyone felt it was fitting enough... and also fun to say!! Our drummer, Jay, enjoys using it quite frequently to describe when he has a shitty day at work, haha... like, "I got Gunged at work today". It'd be nice if that could catch on... so Gung could be a nice alternative to "fuck".

2. How did this band get started?

We've all been playing in bands for the majority of our lives. We're not young men anymore and have a better appreciation of why we continue to play in bands and make music. Jay and I met in a previous band years ago when I first moved to NYC and stayed friends since. Then Tom and I were in a band together a few years after that. When that band and Jay's last band broke up we decided we were done with typical band "drama" and just wanted to be in an easy-going outfit that had fun... played whatever we wanted... and took things serious without being lame about it. Tom brought in his monstrument of a bass and things just kinda took off from there!

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We all come from different music and band backgrounds but are grounded in our love for bands from the 90's.. for the most part. Bands like Chavez, Jawbox, Sunny Day Real Estate, Brainiac, Barkmarket, Drive Like Jehu, etc. Of course, there's some more modern bands we still get boners for... like Torche. Have you heard their new record?! Awwwwwesome!

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Rush. Why? Well, because if there's ever a band to make you feel like an amateur... it's Rush. And sometimes it's always good to be put in your place!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

You can't go wrong with Mexican!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We're not trying to do something new here... we're not trying to blow your mind... we're just trying to write song we enjoy playing.. and hope others enjoy listening to them. That's why.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

This is a hard one to answer... we're not big sports fans. But for style purposes only I'd have to say Rollie Fingers... killer stache, my friend.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Really? A grammy?! Shit... that's not even near a dream of ours. If that ever happened we'd probably just thank anyone who got us there....

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Everyone's perception about what the "industry" actually is and how they can better prevent themselves from being screwed over.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I think we have our fair share of drunken, pant-shitting debaucheries to tell.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

To me, it's a place where bands and music lovers can come together and discover new things about one another without judgement.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

On our new EP it's Bouleversement

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I love a good beach!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Beatles because of my Mom and The Who because of my Dad.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Obviously flying and invisibility are your best bets... though it would be fun to have some completely ridiculous super power... haha, like something that's absolutely useless... some bad guy is coming for you... he grabs your girl... and just then... your eyeballs pop out... or your teeth... Ya, all your teeth fall out, haha.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Trying to limit my intake of Tecate!!

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

That I actually care about what they think about our band and the music we continue to write... and always want to hear their feedback!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Eh... maybe. I think with all the podcasts and internet radio out there today you've got a lot more options to choose from... instead of your typical Classic Rock Station, Hard Rock Station, etc. We're a NYC band so everyone here is wearing earplugs... it'd be nice if they were listening to one of our songs when yelling at tourists.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Walk... read... vedge out... hang out with friends... write... movies... typical stuff. Daytrips are kinda my thing though. I love to get out and go somewhere new.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I'm an incredibly fast typer!!

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums