Password
This Thread is Closed.

09:07 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
I still think that's really oversimplifying it. As far as the average voter who isn't too knowledgeable, you can't be happy with healthcare reform unless you know what the bill entails, and you can't decide who is better on the economy until you hear their plans or motives, etc. And how can you make up your mind when you're hearing one biased thing from Fox News and another biased thing from MSNBC? I agree that it's not THAT difficult to try and do some research, but I also sympathize with people who work a lot or don't have time to dive deep into the issues. For example, my mom works two jobs and has four kids. She isn't exactly sitting down to read political news or columns. So I understand where you guys come from, but it's unfair to say people are 'lazy' or 'complacent' because they might not have made up their mind yet.

On the other hand, I agree with Jason because I think the debates are pointless. This is the time of the election year where anything goes. People will outright lie for a vote (or in Mitt Romney's case, they will double their lie total). I just don't think it's as simple as you guys are saying, that's all.
09:09 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
And my post at GeeBee might have sounded a little harsh but I don't think it was very fair to call her mother out for being lazy/complacent or anything like that. No need to say it like that.
09:10 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
dylanagibson
Nature had another plan
Kansas City, MO
Male - 24 Years Old
Does anyone really think anything is going to come out in the next X days before the election that legit SHOULD sway a voter. This is say anything for a vote time. I'm with GeeBee -- undecideds are full of it.

My uncle was telling me back in late August that something was going to come out in October that was going to lose to election for Obama. Ended up being that stupid Hannity video haha
09:13 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 27 Years Old
If you truly and genuinely have no concept of what either candidate stands for, you probably shouldn't be voting at all. I get that people are busy. But it really is as simple as "should we stay on the track of the last four years, or should we go back and try George Bush's policies again?"

And really, all you need to get it pared down to that is that article posted in here twice today: Mitt Romney's pointed plan is literally the exact same as George Bush's.

Edit: and I will disagree with GeeBee that it isn't always a case of laziness or complacency. More often than not, it's apathy. The "undecideds" we dedicate most of our political process to are people who don't know who to vote for because they don't care, but they feel compelled to wait for a Kennedy moment or a Nixon moment, something huge to instantly qualify or disqualify a candidate, and make their choice based on that. When that doesn't happen, they usually come to the conclusion that "all politicians are exactly the same" but somehow still feel compelled to vote at all.
09:16 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
The real problem is Republicans who are aware that their party is a steaming pile of shit and yet they still vote for Mitt Romney because they don't think they have any other choice. You would think people who voted for George Bush wouldn't want to make the same mistake twice.
09:19 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Hey, where's the long form birth certificate!?!?

Haha.
It's actually frustrating that people still talk about that as if there's still a possibility that it's true...or that he's Muslim.

"He has to be Muslim...he told the Muslim world that we are with them! Only a Muslim would say that!"

Well then, I guess George Bush outed his Islamic faith when he apologized to Muslims around the world and told them he understood that they are a peaceful religion getting a bad rep a week after 9/11. Bush, that damn Muslim.
09:28 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 29 Years Old
Not everybody makes a hobby out of following politics to the extent we do. I've taken shots about the process of campaigns being geared towards pandering to a sliver of the electorate that could generally be described as less-engaged and easily persuaded(or stupid), but you certainly can't act like it's law, like it's not case-by-case. I think we're also kidding ourselves if we pretend like people who are decided are therefore any more engaged or less stupid.
09:39 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 27 Years Old
I don't think stupid has anything to do with it. More or less, I think it would be like if the general public was voting for Best Picture, and the majority of them had not even seen the film and were basing their vote on what their friends or favorite critics had said about it. And like you said, there will always be those who did watch it but still vote based on what our friends and favorite critics have said. But if you really believe the majority of undecided voters have thoroughly researched both candidates and weighed the pros and cons of each and continue to balance things out all the way to November, well, I'd disagree.

Nobody is saying no one does that. But I think very, very few do. And yeah, I could be wrong. But every Facebook status I see, every conversation I overhear in public, every poll and article I read leads me to believe otherwise.
09:41 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
kyle is hk
The Goddamn Loveliest Melody
Princeton, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old

Damn. I meant right. Kinda killed the whole joke now there didn't it.

Also looper is fucking awesome.
09:46 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Princeton, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old
Not everybody makes a hobby out of following politics to the extent we do. I've taken shots about the process of campaigns being geared towards pandering to a sliver of the electorate that could generally be described as less-engaged and easily persuaded(or stupid), but you certainly can't act like it's law, like it's not case-by-case. I think we're also kidding ourselves if we pretend like people who are decided are any therefore more engaged or less stupid.

Agree with this 100%.

Also, in the end campaigning isn't so much about swaying "undecideds" as it is getting to people who haven't started paying attention to the campaigns yet (which there are still plenty) and mobilizing.
09:49 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Princeton, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old
But it really is as simple as "should we stay on the track of the last four years, or should we go back and try George Bush's policies again?"

No it isn't. Honestly, simplifying it that much is as bad as not paying much attention in the first place.
09:52 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 29 Years Old
But if you really believe the majority of undecided voters have thoroughly researched both candidates and weighed the pros and cons of each and continue to balance things out all the way to November, well, I'd disagree.

Nobody's implying that. We're talking about not personally insulting an individual who they happen to know absolutely nothing about. It was out of line and they owe Alex an apology.
09:55 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 27 Years Old
Nobody's implying that. We're talking about not personally insulting an individual who they happen to know absolutely nothing about. It was out of line and they owe Alex an apology.

I never disagreed with this.
09:57 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 27 Years Old
No it isn't. Honestly, simplifying it that much is as bad as not paying much attention in the first place.

Really? So you think Obama will suddenly become a different person he has been the last four years if he gets re-elected? Or that Romney, who is promising to be Bush's third term will just decide not to if he takes office in January?

If you're not going to research the candidates but insist on still voting, then yes, it is pretty much as simple as that.
10:02 PM on 10/05/12 
User Info.
kyle is hk
Princeton, NJ
Male - 25 Years Old
Really? So you think Obama will suddenly become a different person he has been the last four years if he gets re-elected? Or that Romney, who is promising to be Bush's third term will just decide not to if he takes office in January?

If you're not going to research the candidates but insist on still voting, then yes, it is pretty much as simple as that.

Just because both Romney and Bush suck ass doesn't mean they're identical. Telling an undecided to not worry about the nuances is still an uninformed opinion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos