AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Devin Townsend Project, The - Epicloud Limited Edition Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Devin Townsend Project, The - Epicloud Limited Edition

Reviewed by: SyntheticBreed (08/30/12)
The Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud Limited Edition
Record Label: HevyDevy
Release Date: September 18, 2012

Another year another Devin Townsend album… or two… or three? Being a fan of HevyDevy’s work is very enjoyable. He always releases new music and it’s always fantastic. How he does it every time is beyond me. This year we have Epicloud, the Epicloud Demo CD, and Casualties of Cool.
Epicloud for me was what Addicted should have been. The two albums are similar with Epicloud being much better. I enjoyed Addicted but not nearly as much as Ghost, Ki, and Deconstruction. It was a small let down. Epicloud is huge.
Everyone has probably already heard “Lucky Animals.” A humorous song with a serious undertone, it is one of Devin’s grooviest tracks to date, and the chorus will get stuck in your head for days on end. The slower songs on here, “Where We Belong”, Divine”, and a track that could have easily fit on Ghost, “Lessons”, are some of his more impressive ballads he has ever written. My only complaint is that “Lessons” is only a little over a minute long. I wish it was five minutes or more, the track is beautiful. For the heavier songs, “More!” is filled with crunchy riffs that will induce headbanging. My favorite on this disc is the new rendition of “Kingdom.” Epicloud’s version blows Physicist’s out of the water. Luckily the song retains everything that was great about the old version while adding much needed upgrades for the instruments and the verses. Some of the latter songs on the album are less impressive but are still worth listening to.
The reason I state that the demo cd is a separate release for Devin is because it is only included on the limited to 5000 digipak special edition of the cd. For less than $10.00 more, you get entirely new songs that frankly don’t sound like demos, but final releases. These songs are even more enjoyable than Epicloud. While Epicloud is a lot of fun to jam to, the demos come off more serious. Starting off with the angelic “Believe” Devin plays his acoustic guitar with his very mellow voice riding along. With “Heatwave”, the song is a straight out sequel to “Trainfire” off of Ki. “Love Tonight” is my favorite song of the entire 2CD package. It is one of Devin’s most beautiful songs to date with a really euphoric and hooky chorus. On “Love Tonight”, wait until this section: 3:48-3:52. Devin’s voice never fails to impress but he goes above and beyond here sending chills down your spine. His voice only gets better with age. “Socialization” brings HevyDevy into the more Strapping Young Lad territory with its seven-plus minutes of insanity. The cd ends with the very folky “Little Pig” a folky little number with some good light vocals.
Devin Townsend continues to release phenomenal albums and we still have Casualties of Cool, Ghost 2, and Ziltoid 2 to look forward to over the horizon. If you’re reading this Devin, don’t ever stop writing music. I salute your talents and the stellar music you continually release year after year. Devin Townsend is to music as what Michelangelo was to painting and sculpting.

Recommended If You LikeDevin Townsend, Devin Townsend Band, Ayreon, Porcupine Tree, Pink Floyd

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:07 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
haven't heard all of it but I know this'll rule
09:57 AM on 10/28/12
collapsing
User Info.
Addicted has been the best in the series thus far, but this is a great contender for that crown.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests