AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
King Of Spain - All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

King Of Spain - All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And...

Reviewed by: Kelly Doherty (08/31/12)
King Of Spain- All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And They Thought It Was Hell
Record Label: New Granada
Release Date: August 28, 2012

King Of Spain is an atmospheric indie group hailing from Tampa, Florida. The band, comprised of Matt Slate (vocals, guitar, programming, keyboards, percussion, everything ever) and Daniel Wainwright (bass) have been around since 2009, and have released one album, Entropy. All I Did Was Tell Them A Truth And They Thought It Was Hell is their sophomore album, and is filled with quiet indie tunes with ethereal touches.

King Of Spainís sound is nothing, if not interesting. This is not music that will, as you hit play, enter into your ears and leave you breathless. You probably wonít start humming along. You definitely wonít start dancing. However, All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And They Thought It Was Hell will leave you thinking. King Of Spain have crafted an album that shares a lot in common the likes of Fleet Foxes. Songs such as "Basement Fires" and "Green Eyes" are atmospherically driven and melodically pleasing. Yes, the melodies donít achieve the catchy sound that the majority of bands aim for, but they donít need to. All I Did Was Tell Them... sounds more like music as an art than anything else.

The title track is an exercise in drone rock that sounds remarkably like something that Low would write, but otherwise the album is quite innovative. The bandís songwriting is excellent, and nothing sounds rushed or lightly done. However, the album does have its faults. The album is far longer than it should be, and this turns listening to the entire album in one go seem almost laborious. The odd time in the album that King Of Spain fall into landfill indie territory (ďPerceptionĒ), the great work the band have done on the other tracks is undermined. Also, the electronic touches and flourishes sound weirdly old-fashioned, and completely out of place.

Overall, All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And They Thought It Was Hell is an great album. Slateís vocals are excellent and the band is filled with talented musicians that are capable of writing excellent music. Next time around, with a little bit of streamlining, King Of Spain could be brilliant.

Recommended If You LikeFleet Foxes; Jen Wood; New Times Roman; arty music

Additional Information Track Listing
1. Basement Fires
2. Motions
3. Green Eyes
4. Sans Refuge
5. Destiny Delayed
6. Ourselves In Another
7. Perception
8. Seamless Spotless Sidewalks (Redux)
9. All I Did Was Tell Them The Truth And They Thought It Was Hell
10. 1/26