Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 29 of 29
06:41 PM on 09/03/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Thanks! It's probably just because the first time I heard it the music video was playing on TV and I didn't know it was them, not being a huge fan (I know the singles and have heard a couple albums). I figured it was some new-ish band trying to write the corniest, dumbest pop "rock" song they could to break into the mainstream. When the song almost finished and Matchbox 20 flashed on the screen I could hardly believe it.

I don't know, I think the song is alright. Definitely a "dumb pop song," but then again, I wasn't expecting much more from a song called "She's so Mean." I like it for what it is, even if there are much stronger tracks here.
08:07 PM on 09/03/12
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
She's So Mean is great.
11:08 PM on 09/03/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I don't know, I think the song is alright. Definitely a "dumb pop song," but then again, I wasn't expecting much more from a song called "She's so Mean." I like it for what it is, even if there are much stronger tracks here.
Yeah, I'll check out some of the other stuff on here, hopefully it's more in line with my tastes. Being a lyrics nerd ruins a lot of otherwise good music for me, but I'm learning to appreciate much more than the words.
01:33 AM on 09/04/12
OdourlessHobo
woop woop woop
User Info.
Apart from the strange dance tracks this is a solid effort in my opinion.
06:27 AM on 09/04/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Here's the review of this that I wrote: http://www.rockfreaks.net/albums/5099

Yeah, I'll check out some of the other stuff on here, hopefully it's more in line with my tastes. Being a lyrics nerd ruins a lot of otherwise good music for me, but I'm learning to appreciate much more than the words.

I've never really minded Thomas as a lyricist, but there are some definite duds on this album. I still like the lyrics to songs like "Parade" and "Sleeping at the Wheel," but words only rarely ruin songs for me.
08:15 AM on 09/04/12
Jordioteque
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As a lifetime Matchbox/Rob fan, I can confidently say that this is the most mediocre thing he's ever released.
09:03 AM on 09/04/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
As a lifetime Matchbox/Rob fan, I can confidently say that this is the most mediocre thing he's ever released.
Thank you! I feel the exact same way (and I'm a lifetime Matchbox/Rob fan, too).
07:27 AM on 09/08/12
Forefall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What absolute garbage. I grew up on Matchbox 20. This is musically uninspired.

There's no killer track here. I can listen to every other MB20 album from start to end without skipping a single song. Did they completely give up on distortion and piano? Did Rob forget how to write songs? The lyrics are absolute tripe. There's almost no build-up on any of the tracks. They're just melodramatic with bland guitars and drums. There's nothing exciting here. After the tracks on Exile, you'd expect a progression of that sound... instead, it's like they cut and watered down that sound.

Why is it getting such praise from old fans? The only song I found even half bearable was Parade. Put Your Hands Up? Oh man...
08:08 AM on 09/08/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
What absolute garbage. I grew up on Matchbox 20. This is musically uninspired.

There's no killer track here. I can listen to every other MB20 album from start to end without skipping a single song. Did they completely give up on distortion and piano? Did Rob forget how to write songs? The lyrics are absolute tripe. There's almost no build-up on any of the tracks. They're just melodramatic with bland guitars and drums. There's nothing exciting here. After the tracks on Exile, you'd expect a progression of that sound... instead, it's like they cut and watered down that sound.

Why is it getting such praise from old fans? The only song I found even half bearable was Parade. Put Your Hands Up? Oh man...
I could not back this statement more. This pretty much says it all. They had progressed so much, and done so much. Each album upped the other one (including Exile) and this just falls so flat to me. It's only been five years since Exile, how did they fall out of touch with that sound so fast?
12:59 PM on 09/08/12
MJB12
Silenced.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lyrics definitely went downhill a little here, but on the few spins I've had so far I'm really starting to dig this record. Not an instant favorite but definitely some highlights. Can't get "Our Song" out of my head. Also really enjoy "Sleeping at the Wheel". Hope MB20 does an American tour soon!
07:08 PM on 09/11/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Did they completely give up on distortion and piano?
My main gripe with this record. Overall it could've been worse, and I enjoy it for the most part but I can't really attach myself to a handful of it. Let's hope this is just them dusting off the wheels and the record after this will be a little more 'proper'.
I will say though everyone should check out "Waiting On A Train" and "I Don't Wanna Be Loved" from the Target edition - pretty strong tracks.
07:22 PM on 09/11/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
My main gripe with this record. Overall it could've been worse, and I enjoy it for the most part but I can't really attach myself to a handful of it. Let's hope this is just them dusting off the wheels and the record after this will be a little more 'proper'.
I will say though everyone should check out "Waiting On A Train" and "I Don't Wanna Be Loved" from the Target edition - pretty strong tracks.
Dude, LOVE the avatar. The Moon My Saddle is my favorite album EVER.
05:49 PM on 09/12/12
abusedcat
Long Gone Before Daylight
User Info.
Dude, LOVE the avatar. The Moon My Saddle is my favorite album EVER.
Easily one of my favorites as well.
Think I'll put it on right now!
12:26 AM on 09/13/12
cshadows2887
User Info.
Whole record is good, including "She's So Mean" and "Put Your Hands Up." Those aren't the highlights, sure, but they're good in sequence, solidly constructed and pretty hooky.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos