AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Grand Theft Autumn - One Word Answers - EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 6
Lyrics 6
Production 7
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 60%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Grand Theft Autumn - One Word Answers - EP

Reviewed by: cut!print (09/05/12)
Grand Theft Autumn - One Word Answers - EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 25, 2012

Identity is one of the most important factors (in my opinion) when starting a band, especially one you plan to make a career out of. Sure, at first, you're naturally going to get a widespread of the members influences in the songs and as they work more and release more music, every musician is bound to break that barrier and get a little more personal with their sound. I know this from personal experience and from witnessing it with to many too count bands in the world. However, there comes to a point where you come across something you really just wish you could love and want to listen to over and over but this barrier I spoke of is so apparent it makes it difficult. With this somewhat dis-heartening intro, I bring to the table Grand Theft Autumn.

Being the first release of the bands career I really don't want to come across as harsh or put-down the band in anyway at all because I really love Pop-Punk music, the direction this band is headed, and what they could easily become in the future. I have good intentions here and this just so happens to be the title of song number one, "Good Intentions". Immediately as the track begins you can hear a lot of heart in the song and you can really tell this band has put a lot of effort into making this EP, especially without a label and right off the bat I'm bobbing my head through till the end, these boys know how to write hooks. With an unsuspecting piano play on the bridge I was initially impressed.
I believe the vocalist will either put on or off anyone who listens to them as he seems to have one of those voices that you either love or hate, I was taken aback at first but if he were to gain just a little more control and really hone in on his abilities, this guy could be great. That being said he still does not disappoint if you're a fan of Will Pugh (Cartel).

There is major, major potential here. Getting through the first few tracks I found the second half to have much more likable songs where as the first few songs kept me wondering. "One Word Answers" happens to feature my favorite vocalist in music (little did they know), AJ Perdomo (The Dangerous Summer) and is by far the strongest track on the album, but not just because I'm a fan boy of TDS. This song showcases a great introduction and the strongest lyrics as the topic pertains to how the singer would rather just leave people alone and not make an effort to connect with anyone because you'll end up getting let down in the long run, which is something that courses through my brain constantly. I don't think most people actually follow through with it as much as they do toy with the idea of it. It has a strong chorus and ends greatly with AJ belting out towards the end. All-in-all, the whole second half of the EP feels much stronger than its former half.

As long as Grand Theft Autumn continues doing what they're doing I don't see any reason why they couldn't put themselves on the map. Although there is a lot of improvement needed that could easily be captivated with what they show us here on One Word Answers, it can be done. Maybe a little more tight-knit songwriting included in the huge hooks, less touch and go on the kit and more focus, but most importantly I think if the singer found his inner voice it would help them the most. I would have no problem being a full-time listener, but at this point, the sound is too recycled and the singing puts me off in most of the songs. I really hope they can improve and find their own identity. They, without a doubt, will become contenders in (as far as I'm concerned) a dead scene for the more Pop side of Pop-Punk music if they do.

Recommended If You Like Cartel; old Hit The Lights; Poppy Pop-Punk; Fall Out Boy

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
10:19 PM on 09/06/12
Rapid Reviews
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review ;)
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives