AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Young Guns - Bones Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 85%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.63
Musicianship 8.13
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Average: 84%

Young Guns - Bones

Reviewed by: hiddentrack (09/06/12)
Young Guns - Bones
Record Label: Wind-Up Records (US) / Live Forever (UK)
Release Date: February 3, 2012

Already a staple in the UK alternative rock scene, Young Guns (
Gustav Wood on vocals, Fraser Taylor on lead guitar, John Taylor on rhythm guitar, Simon Mitchell on bass guitar and Benjamin Jolliffe on drums) storm into the American market with their first stateside release Bones.

Right out of the gate, Bones starts off powerful with "I Was Born, I Have Lived, I Will Surely Die" and "Dearly Departed". The latter is a surefire Top 40 hit with a soaring chorus over driving guitars and Wood's strong vocals. The ending chorus delivers a great moment with background gang vocals that end the song on a high note.

The title track "Bones" has one of the best choruses on the album with Wood trading vocals back and forth with his band. When Wood sings "I feel it in my bones...", you can imagine him on stage turning the mic to the screaming fans to fill in on vocals. It's a great moment on the record and would be an awesome sight to see live.

Wood's vocals really shine during "You Are Not", a song with a soft intro leading into an electronic drum beat. Surrounded by a wall of punchy guitars in the chorus, Wood belts out "When you belong, you're just a face in the crowd / You're only lonely, so lonely, like everybody else". Young Guns are masters at creating a memorable hook and "You Are Not" is no exception. It is one of many radio friendly singles on this record, which has been nominated for "Best Album" at this year's 2012 Kerrang! Awards.

Radio rock gets a bad rep these days and deservedly so, with bands like Nickelback over saturating the market with repetitive lyrics and almost identical song structures. But, after listening to Bones, Young Guns have revitalized the genre with an ass-kicking set of songs that will make sure you turn your radio volume up to eleven and rock out. Be on the lookout, Young Guns are locked and loaded to take America by force.

Recommended If You Likealternative rock; Acceptance; Anberlin; Fightstar; Framing Hanley; Lostprophets

http://www.weareyoungguns.com/

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
04:21 AM on 09/07/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
This record is sensational, one of my favorites this year. Gustav is phenomenal, one of the best singers out there. Can't wait for their show in Rome on November 5th.
09:14 AM on 09/07/12
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
good review, though i thought it was a big step down to their first record and a rushed album.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests