Password

Album Review

Demi Lovato - Unbroken Album Cover

Demi Lovato - Unbroken

Reviewed by
Demi Lovato - Unbroken
Record Label: Hollywood
Release Date: September 20, 2011
It isn't news that Demi Lovato has had a rough couple of months with her abrupt tour cancellation and subsequent entry into rehab for "personal issues". Armed with a new collection of songs and a positive outlook on life, Unbroken signifies the return of a healthier Lovato that is sure to win over new fans with her introspective lyrics and smooth vocals.

The first single from Unbroken, "Skyscraper", has a haunting piano intro that includes Lovato's soft, whispering vocals. It's an emotional track describing Lovato's fall from the Disney spotlight and her return as a stronger person after her struggle with her confidence. She taunts her demons, singing "Go on and try to tear me down / I will be rising from the ground like a skyscaper." Lovato's confidence really shines and solidifies her place among the best vocalists in the pop world.

"Fix A Heart" chronicles Lovato's struggle to understand how she can repair the damage left by her significant other. Her vocals during the chorus really showcase her range and strength as a singer, something that other Disney stars, such as Miley Cyrus, fail to offer.

Another surefire single pick is "Give Your Heart A Break" with it's staccato string intro and driving pop drums. The chorus is absolutely catchy and will sure to be stuck in your head for days. While the lyrics can be borderline cheesy at times, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the track, which is one of the best on Unbroken.

Overall, Unbroken is a refreshing success story for the former "Camp Rock" star. She faced hardship and unlike many of her peers (Lindsay Lohan, anyone?), she has found a way to turn her personal pain into pop gold. While her fall from Disney stardom may have broken her temporarily, she has picked up the pieces and formed a new, confident version of herself. Now, she has become a positive role model for her fans and inspiration to many who suffer from their own body issues as well. Go ahead and try to tear her down. Demi Lovato is here to stay.

Recommended If You Likepop; Jojo; The Veronicas - Hook Me Up; Miley Cyrus; Disney stars
This review is a user submitted review from hiddentrack. You can see all of hiddentrack's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
03:38 AM on 09/07/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Score's too high.
09:22 PM on 09/07/12
blue_light_888
User Info.
Solid review, though I wish it had been a tad longer and more descriptive of her sound in general. And if nothing else, this album had two fantastic singles.
09:10 PM on 09/10/12
lightupthesky
the law firm
User Info.
the fuck are all these bullshit low scores, fuck you guys. as for lasting value, i still listen to this album at least once a week on my drive to work. so fuck you guys some more, .25 my ass.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos