AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

For Sleeping or Jumping - 09.07.12

Interviewed by
For Sleeping or Jumping - 09.07.12Here's 10 questions with Boston band For Sleeping or Jumping. The band is touring in support of its new release Dead Languages. Check out the band at Facebook.

1. Dead Languages was produced by Ryan Siegel (Glassjaw), and Ben Weinman of Dillinger Escape Plan. Describe their approach to the record and how they both helped to shape the sound.

Gio Coviello (vocals): They were both pretty much down with whatever we wanted to try, and vice versa, so the word 'no' wasn't used very much. They made a pleasant experience that much better by being super easy-going and down to earth.

Taylor Pile (drums): Sometimes when Tom (guitar) was tracking he would be walking around the room pretending he was playing to a crowd saying things like "alright motherfuckers! I want to see you make out with your left elbow while making a balloon elephant!” then, if he botched a part he would go on to blame the "crowd" for their balloon making abilities. The recording process was all in all, pretty hilarious to be honest. Everything was very lighthearted, which ended up being very necessary considering that recording music to this degree can be quite stressful. It was this lighthearted approach that got the best out of us as musicians, which Ryan and Ben couldn't of done a better job of.

2. Boston has been widely documented as a great city for emerging bands and singer/songwriters, how has the city's vibrant love for music helped the band in its early stages?

GC: Boston is a music lover's city and people have always been receptive to our sound even if we're playing with a bunch of indie rock bands. I think people in Boston on the whole are just psyched to see live music no matter what the flavor, and I can safely say that we have one hell of a live show.

3. For Sleeping or Jumping is self-described as math-metal or mathcore, how important are those titles in describing your band? That is to say, do you feel like describing your band as just metal, would be a disservice?

GC: I, for one, am not big on labeling bands especially when you get into crazy subgenres and what not, but people ask so we gotta tell em' something. I think calling us "metal" is just fine.

TP: Call us whatever you want Math-Metal, Metal, Post-Alaskan Tripcore, we couldn't care less! As long as people are listening and taking the time to put us in any type of genre that will suffice.

4. There's a definite penchant for melody and hooks here. Is that something that came naturally or was it an effort to try and fit those parts into the songs?

GC: It wasn't effortless but it came fairly naturally. I love heavy music but I also really appreciate catchiness; it’s the kind of thing that makes you come back for more, so it was important for that element to be there. It was a little bit of a gamble because melody in metal can easily become cheesy, but we trust each other's judgment.

5. The band originally started out as a post-rock effort but moved towards something darker, denser and concussive. Why the change in sound? What led to the decision to go this route as opposed to sticking with post-rock?

GC: Concussive! I like that. I don't know that we ever let go of the whole post-rock thing. The title track of the record was definitely influenced by that kind of music. I think it's just fun for us to play the crazy shit though. I guess when I joined the band things had already sort of been shifting into a higher gear; we would all pump each other up during practice and I think the music reflects that sort of fun energy.

TP:
It was definitely the energy Gio brought to the table that led us to make our music the way we currently do. We still do our best to leave hints of influence from bands like Caspian, Sigur Ros, Mono, Explosions In The Sky etc... but at the end of the day giving people musical concussions is what makes the most sense to us.

6. Dead Languages was released via your own label Auxiliary Records. Is there a chance the label will expand to feature other bands, or is it for now, just a vehicle to release your material?

TP: As the band progresses we continue to meet both the right kind of people to work with, and the wrong type of people to work with. If we feel confident that we can get another band where it needs to be we will consider expanding, but for now we are using our own label to meet the tastemakers of the industry ourselves, rather than trusting an entire team of people we barely know with our first professional release.

7. Being that you are a young band, you're still finding your feet, but if the stars were to align, what bands would you like to share a bill with?

GC: We've all talked about how awesome it would be to play with Every Time I Die. We are both bands with a lot of energy and craziness going on. I think their fans could easily take a liking to us.

TP: I think we all agree playing with Every Time I Die, or The Chariot would be epic, and make a total amount of sense musically. I personally am obsessed with the sounds of the upcoming band letlive. Funny enough, I just found out yesterday that all three of these bands are about to go on tour together. That would be a sick bill to be on.

8. What records are you currently listening to that you'd like to namedrop or recommend to our AP.net users?

GC: Everything by McLusky, Torche, Bear vs. Shark, and, of course, a steady diet of Deftones. Also check out local favorites Ovlov, Maura, and Grass is Green.

TP: Attack on Memory by Cloud Nothings, Celebration Rock by Japandroids, Empros - Russian Circles, Fake History - letlive. Especially Fake History by letlive. GET ON THAT!

9. What's your favorite venue to play in Boston and why?

GC: Great Scott is my favorite. Excellent sound, the stage is raised but it still feels really intimate. Perfect size for a band like us.

TP: Great Scott til' the end of days.

9. Outside of Boston, what's your favorite city to play, and why?

GC: Austin was a really fun experience but my perception is maybe skewed because we were there for a SXSW showcase. However, I could tell how kickass their city was regardless of the festival. It was like someone dropped Cambridge, MA in the middle of Texas.

TP: Columbus, Ohio. This answer has absolutely no dispute between Ryan (guitar) and I. We are both from Columbus, and miss the city very much... unfortunately what we are doing can't be done from that great city because the band would be far too spread out. Regardless of distance we think about our friends from Columbus at almost every show.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests