Password

Album Review

Taken Flight - Messed Up But Alright EP Album Cover

Taken Flight - Messed Up But Alright EP

Reviewed by
Taken Flight - Messed Up But Alright EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 17,2012
Remember just a few years ago when this scene became stricken with fancy hair, tight clothing, and synthesizers? Well, thank god that fad ended and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't need to come back! However, when used properly, I have grown accustomed to enjoying a little bit of computer technology in my Power-Pop catalog (the small library that it is) and find it can be rather enjoyable if executed and not overused. Taken Flight is still very new to the world and they have a very long road ahead of them but after listening to their EP I can see a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel.

It's a rare occasion when I take a liking to a band who would be compared to artists today such as Runner Runner and Every Avenue, mainly because I've always felt that side of music has a too apparent lack of depth, and I still don't feel that I'm wrong. The lyrics throughout tend to come off as cliche (corny, cheesy, etc.) and the production on the whole thing has a drowned out sound to it that is such a poor quality it makes this music I don't particularly feel fond of even harder to listen to. If they could amp up the guitars a bit and get more in sync as a whole I would find it a much more easy listen, but the singer sounds off key at some points of certain songs. He does have a great voice though, it has a reminisce of that one 90's Alternative band you can't remember.

To completely flip the coin, I can already tell that if this band got it together more I would much prefer listening to them over Runner Runner any day. The first two tracks have a great structure and idea, but I feel the execution of the songs just weren't all the way there. There is no over-usage of synth or autotune, in fact, just the right amount and that I can respect. I easily turn my head to a band that I can't stand listening to but I don't plan on doing it for Taken Flight because they have the potential, just not all their ducks in a row.

Recommended If You Like Every Avenue; Runner Runner; 90's Alternative with synth
This review is a user submitted review from cut!print. You can see all of cut!print's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version