Password

Album Review

Pull Strings - The Upside Of Going Blind Album Cover

Pull Strings - The Upside Of Going Blind

Reviewed by
Pull Strings-The Upside Of Going Blind
Record Label: Better Days Records
Release Date: September 01, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Earlier this year, pop punkers, Pull Strings released their debut EP Autumn/Winter/Spring to little fanfare, despite being filled with catchy as hell, hundred miles an hour punk rock that certainly had the right kind of spark. Less than six months later, and the Massachusetts three piece have returned with six tracks of punk rock that is a little rough around the edges.

Where Autumn/Winter/Spring partnered punk rock with a very distinctly clean production, Pull Strings new EP The Upside Of Going Blind sees the band turning down the sheen and focusing on playing fast, edgy punk rock. Tracks such a "Getting Out" and "Transparent" are perfectly mosh-inspiring, with neither track letting up for a second. The drumming is spitfire and the guitars speed their way through every chord. DaSilva’s vocals have made the progression to become that bit more gruff, and each part of the band’s jigsaw fits perfectly together. The lyrics are delightfully weary. “Getting Out”’s ‘You mould yourself into something you’re not/ You’ll always be nothing to me’ pretty much sums up the negativity and cynicism that enshrouds every lyric on the release and it’s quite refreshing when compared to some of the relentlessly optimistic lyrics of the scene.

“Sleeping In” is a full band re-working of an acoustic track from their debut, and is a choice cut from the release. Slightly slower than than the rest of the release, it takes the time to display how good the band can be at songwriting. It’s an excellent track, however it does display that they could be a somewhat better if they slowed down a little bit and let their talent shine through. The members of Pull Strings are certainly talented. DaSilva’s vocals are very distinct and enjoyable, the drumming is impossibly fast, and a beat is never skipped, the guitars manage to fit in riffs, breakdowns and absolutely everything in a ridiculously short period time.

Overall, The Upside Of Going Blind is as good as any punk rock release you’ll hear this year. Over the course of six songs, the band fit in a few punk rock gems, but this band certainly has potential to become a very mature rock band. With a little less speed, and a bit more deliberation, Pull Strings could be a name you’ll be hearing a lot in the future.

Recommended If You LikeSuch Gold; No Use For A Name; The Swellers

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Growing Up
2. Getting Out
3. Perception Is Everything
4. Sleeping In
5. Transparent
6. Empty

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:47 AM on 09/11/12
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
This band reminds me of earlier Title Fight, and I totally agree with the reviewer (and her perfect review), they have the potential to step up their game.
07:07 AM on 09/11/12
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
i love these guys, and Adam is a great man.
03:43 PM on 09/15/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
This band reminds me of earlier Title Fight, and I totally agree with the reviewer (and her perfect review), they have the potential to step up their game.
Thank you very much!
12:55 PM on 10/07/12
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As someone who /is/ blind, I'm not really sure how to respond to the title... but I'll check it out regardless. Nice review.
01:47 PM on 10/15/12
cricketsthrow
User Info.
gave a listen, pretty cool.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News