AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

03:27 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
My life is kinda fucked right now (not working , dropped out of college , car died , can't pay rent or bills, owe roomate alot)
and i feel like joining the navy really is the best chance i have to get out of this situation. My mom said she'd be upset if i didn't join but my roommate says i'm joining for the wrong reasons.
any active duty or veterans on here wanna give me advice of what to expect from boot camp / life on deployment?
04:30 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
.invisible ink.
Get ratchet, go dumb
omnipresent
Female
You're totally joining for the wrong reasons. This is a major commitment that shouldn't be decided on lightly in a moment of despair. Think about it for 6 months before committing to it because once you commit, there's no backing out.

Get a job and figure shit out slowly, joining the military could be the stupidest or the best thing you've ever bet your life on, but it's not temporary and depending on your circumstances (where you're deployed) it could be permanent (as in you could end up dying for this decision). There's not a lot of jobs I'd be willing to die for personally.
04:36 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
Kassie09
in the empire business
Pittsburgh, PA
Female - 24 Years Old
my life blows, i should join the military too?

sound idea, op.
05:04 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified
I'd say it's relatively temporary.

It's not a bad time to enlist, with troops now being withdrawn from combat.

If you truly have no other options, sure, why not. A few years of service are better than being homeless. Not everyone who joins the military is a huge patriot. There are a ton of jobs they need to have done regardless of how enthusiastic you are. If nothing else is going your way, you don't have much to lose.
06:50 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
The navy's a good bet if you're into dudes!
06:52 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
The navy's a good bed if you're into dudes!
actually i think i read some where the usmc has more gays than any other branch.
06:55 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
actually i think i read some where the usmc has more gays than any other branch.

I guess I wouldn't be shocked. It'll be interesting to see what kind of data starts coming out (if you'll pardon the phrase....) now that DADT has been repealed.

As someone contracted for service after graduation, I can tell you it's not for everyone, but the money is pretty good--especially if you've got no other way of getting it.
06:56 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
thursday727
Dunedin, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
navy just seems like the best branch to be in (besides the air force which i can't join due to their tattoo policy) you go to battle in an air conditioned steel city as opposed to in a hot sweaty desert getting blown up by ieds. plus you get to see the world.
10:57 PM on 09/11/12 
User Info.
punkrockmedic
Hugo MN
Male - 29 Years Old
Joining the Army was the "best mistake" I've ever made. I initially joined in 2003 and planned on just doing 3 years and getting my G.I. Bill and then going to college...9 years later, I'm still in and I'm doing pretty well for myself. I am getting out after this 3 year stint though. I can say, that the military lifestyle has made me better and has taught me a lot. If you do enlist, make sure you set yourself up for after the military, like getting a job that will translate to the civilian side in some way. Also, recruiters can, and will lie to you. So do some research, by looking into certain jobs. As long as you test high enough on the ASVAB you can have pretty much any job you want, unless of course you're color blind.
03:28 AM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
leftapart
Bay Area, CA
Male
As stated earlier, the military is often used as a way for trouble or lost youth to try and find their way. I've considered it as well when school, job, or a certain situation wasn't playing out in my favor. It is a good way to gain some life skills, some sort of trade, and not to mention all the lifelong perks such healthcare. You also get to travel a shit load; possibly to many places you'd never see other wise. The military is a great option for anyone. Just remember though, once you sign the dotted line saying your are going to enlist, your life is now in the hands of the US military for the next 4-8 years. It isn't a decision you can or should make overnight. It takes carefully planning and a lot of thinking. The military may not be for you now, but that is the point of basic training, they make you into a soldier. You need to research this a lot more. By going onto the military websites you can find all of the jobs available for your specific education bracket. Maybe you'll find something you like that will make the experience more appealing. Best of luck!
06:35 AM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
justsurrendrfan
jsfan
No Avatar Selected
new york, NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Well what are your other choices? Move in with mom , let your roommate pay your rent? Find a new job?
The military could be a way to give you a fresh start my concern would be putting myself in danger bu there are many forms of non fighting postions out there
07:15 AM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
f00te
Tell it like a comeback story
Mildenhall, UK
Male - 23 Years Old
I joined the Air Force about a year. Probably the best choice I've made. Almost endless amount of benefits.
10:36 AM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
Seattle
Male - 23 Years Old
My life is kinda fucked right now (not working , dropped out of college , car died , can't pay rent or bills, owe roomate alot)
and i feel like joining the navy really is the best chance i have to get out of this situation. My mom said she'd be upset if i didn't join but my roommate says i'm joining for the wrong reasons.
any active duty or veterans on here wanna give me advice of what to expect from boot camp / life on deployment?

People are talking about how it's a huge commitment and it'll fuck up your life for the wrong reasons... That may be true, but you also have to consider that enlisting may give you the skills to succeed, especially if you're feeling like you just can't right now.
11:55 AM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
drat!
How much cheese is too much cheese?
PA
Male - 28 Years Old
I've been in since 2004 and I joined because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Probably the wrong reason but it has treated me well. Made the best friends of my life who I still visit, and had the greatest time of my life in the dorms at McGuire. Great benefits and a steady paycheck, if you don't mind being told where to live, what to do, and having to relocate every few years. Deployments can be dangerous depending on what your job is but you make an incredible amount of tax free money.

I know people who kinda lost their way after high school and joined up a few years after graduation and they are happier than they've ever been.
02:50 PM on 09/12/12 
User Info.
scott!athedisco
Pensacola, FL
Male - 26 Years Old
I'm an officer so I didn't do enlisted boot camp (though I did something similar), but I wouldn't sweat that part of things too much. They want to get everyone through. It's shitty, but just don't be the guy who screws over his friends, and you'll be fine. I'd just like to echo the "think this through" thing. The money is great. The job-security is awesome. The opportunities for exciting training are plentiful. And the people are the best. But if I could do one thing over, I wish I would have just considered alternatives more at 18. Hell, more than likely, I'd have done the same thing. But while I have seen the world, and done some wild stuff, it is frustrating to not necessarily be able to go back home and see my friend's wedding, or to not be able to see my sister's graduation from college. Don't get me wrong - 99.9% of the time, the military gives you the tools/money/ability/leave to do exactly what you want to do, but it's like they have always have a trump card - "we can not let you, if we choose." So I guess if I were you, I'd just think about what that entails. Like others have said, don't rush into the decision.

As far as services go - I'd enlist in the Navy, just for the chance to see the world. However, from my experiences, the "happiest" enlisted I've seen are Air Force, even though they might have the most "boring" of jobs. The quality of life in the air force is pretty sick (that's what I am), and we tend to have the nicest bases (though not necessarily in the best spots). Being on a boat for 9 months and seeing all these foreign ports sounds pretty romantic to me, but a lot of people say being cooped up and cramped for that long sucks.

Ps, I'd research more about that tattoo policy in the AF. I don't know what it is specifically for enlisted, but I would imagine it is more strict for officers, and I have a big fat one right on my wrist. No ones ever said anything. And I work with a guy (also an officer) who has full sleeves. So you might wanna doublecheck that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos