Password

Album Review

Family Band - Grace and Lies Album Cover

Family Band - Grace and Lies

Reviewed by
Family Band - Grace and Lies
Record Label: No Quarter Records
Release Date: July 24, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
"Again," the lead single from husband/wife duo Family Band's album Grace and Lies is a measured, delicate and deeply affecting slice of dream pop. Gauzy and lilting, the song is a definite head-turner and the arrival of a major player in the overcrowded Manhattan indie rock scene. But "Again," is far from the album's only winning effort. Album opener "Night Song," is luminescent, swirly and dream-like.

"Lace," is a more urgent and uptempo affair, in which jittery guitars partner well with Kim Krans' alto vocals. The languorous "Moonbeams," is arguably one of the year's best songs and easily Grace and Lies' first true apex moment. Though its decidedly downtempo and borders on balladry, there's something deeply inspired about the entire thing that is both deeply impacting and even harder to forget.

A modest acoustic guitar opens "Ride," a fragile and weathered tale that's as panged and tortured as anything released this year. That sense of fatigue and anguish cannot be feigned or forced and that it is as strong as it is, is only a testament to the band's inherent talents. Acoustic guitar opens on "Your Name," another placid and intimate affair in which Krans once again takes center stage. But it is at this point one sort of feels like Family Band is more or less veering more towards the Kim Krans Show.

That sentiment is mildly erased on the atmospheric title track, which revisits much of the same sentiments and sonic details as the opener but probes a little deeper. As one might expect it is nonetheless a success and another notch on the belt of a band that does very little wrong. Grace and Lies' penultimate offering is "Keeper," which features spindly guitars and twinkly atmospherics. The disc ends with the near eight-minute epic "Rest," which predictably rises, swells and crests and truly lets the band's collective merits shine. For the first time, Family Band actually sounds like a cohesive effort.

That little point should not be overlooked however. Grace and Lies is a terrific disc and the signal of a strong new talent, but far too often the entire effort feels like a solo album and a vessel to showcase Krans' alto voice. Hopefully on the next effort, there's a bit more kinesis and a bit more bite.

Recommended if You Like Mazzy Star, Warpaint, Cowboy Junkies, Beach House

Find Them Here http://www.familybandfamily.com

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
10:05 AM on 09/13/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, Warpaint in the RIYL. Hmmmmm....
11:55 AM on 09/13/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
I absolutely love this album
05:46 PM on 09/13/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
warpaint in RIYL hmmmmm [2]
08:38 PM on 09/13/12
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
Have you (Greg) listened to Exitmusic? I think you'd really like them
09:01 PM on 09/13/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Have you (Greg) listened to Exitmusic? I think you'd really like them
I have, and I like them very much. Thanks for the tip, though. :) Good looking out!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos