Password

Album Review

Civil Twilight - Holy Weather Album Cover

Civil Twilight - Holy Weather

Reviewed by
Civil Twilight - Holy Weather
Record Label: Wind Up Records
Release Date: March 26, 2012
It seems like every day, I hear something new on the radio that I don't like. Soon after, I'll find something that I feel is definitely more than good enough to take it's place while still being widely accepted, like Civil Twilight's most recent album Holy Weather. Emigrating from South Africa in 2006 and residing in Nashville, the band has released two albums in the US, and they have really made their mark.

In the very first seconds of this album, Civil Twilight brings out their best. A catchy, upbeat guitar hook with a smooth vocal melody reminiscent of older Coldplay show themselves on the opener "River." Along with other songs on the album, it shows a odd rhythmic pattern, but one that makes the song flow quite smoothly.

The next track, "Holy Weather," is a little too similar to the opener, but it leads into the single "Fire Escape," which is an even more upbeat and energetic display. The soaring vocals and distorted guitar and effects do a lot to make this a standout track. Unfortunately, after that are three of the most uninteresting tracks on the album, although "Move/Stay" is probably the only of the three I would say isn't good. The boring dance drumbeat, lackluster lyrics and droning vocals really do nothing for it.

The album picks back up with "It's Over," a soft and powerful piano ballad that would give Coldplay a run for their money. "Sweet Resistance" is another standout track that sounds like it could've been a radio hit from the 80's, yet Civil Twilight effortlessly gives it their own modern edge. Despite the occasional overuse of falsetto and a drum machine, Civil Twilight has released a wonderful alternative record complete with soft piano sections, upbeat pop songs, and great instrumental and vocal talent. You're definitely going to want to pick up Holy Weather, because this could very well be the album to lead the band to some big things.

Recommended If You LikeColdplay, Mutemath, Silversun Pickups, Muse
This review is a user submitted review from dmcaloon. You can see all of dmcaloon's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version