AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Carridale - The Wandering EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 69%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Carridale - The Wandering EP

Reviewed by: cut!print (09/13/12)
Carridale - The Wandering EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 01, 2012

Pop-Punk is a genre people tend to either take way too seriously or way too lightly, there's hardly ever any middle ground with anyone and there feelings towards the genre. I myself, like to think I've done a good job at reaching this middle ground where I love and respect the genre as it was what got me into music when I was a child, but at the same time there are a lot of bands I could care less about and there are other genres I tend to prefer in this day and age. Either way I love Pop-Punk music, and I'm not one of those people who hates this new age of Pop-Punk music nor am I someone who only listens to it, I like a good mix of both. One thing I've strongly noticed about this new age though is that the top notch artists I find and think should be on top of the world in Pop-Punk are unknown to most of the world and fly under the radar unnoticed because of bands like Man Overboard and The Wonder Years are all anyone pays attention to or they constantly reminisce of a better time when the genre was fresh, new, and exciting; it's a damn shame.

With a few EP's under their belt already Carridale goes all in on just this 3 song release earlier this year, and having listened to this since it came out constantly over other bands' new material has compelled me to bring forth the fact that this band fucking rocks!
"5 emotionally detached hardcore kids playing pop punk." This is an exact quote from the band, a sentence long sum of how they feel as a band and it rings true through these songs. First track, "Dragging the Coast" has a crescendo intro and explodes to the sound of tight strumming and some hard hitting on the kit to reveal very intimate and honest lyrics coming out of the singers mouth, especially on the chorus that could hit home for anyone who has a heart: "And I'm sorry, It's just the way I have to deal / because I've been searching for something real / and dragging the coast to see where I left myself / and I figured out that each new city takes a piece of me / I'm spread way too thin, I swear you wouldn't believe / But I would never change a thing" A song that's been written thousands of times, yes, but in such a way that it is refreshing to hear this mans perspective and it actually makes me feel for him, especially with the excellent vocal work where the singer has great delivery and control over his voice. You can truly believe every word that comes out of his mouth even though it's coming from an almost outside looking in view. There are obvious hardcore undertones to most of the bands music, so if you're into Pop-Punk that leans more on the vigorous side of things, I suggest you check this band out because they do not disappoint and deserve the fan base. There's a great mix of giant hooks and tight song writing through these songs but it really shines on stand out track "Your Shoes Don't Match Your Skeletons. It jumps right in with an explosion and an incredibly fast (almost hardcore) pace and stays consistent until the final notes are hit, this isn't a new sound or something you haven't heard before but they pull it off well enough to make you feel like it's brand new. It's rare to find a band of this sorts that actually does a good job, at least for myself, but they make it work very well. Overall this track has very strong guitar work and the singer again has that voice that just grabs your attention and sits you down with desire to know what he's saying and if you think I am wrong check out the final of these 3 songs for confirmation. "The Wandering" is an acoustic ballad about having to the leave the one you love for touring and hoping they'll still be there upon return. Everything about that last sentence just screams cliche, right? And while it may be, this is the first recorded acoustic song the band has done and I felt they did a great job with it. Violins in the background, intimate vocals, excellent melodies, and a surprising drum entry part way through to keep the almost 6 minute song fresh and end the EP on a calm, but deserving note.

Carridale is a band that deserves more than what they have. For the sake of Pop-Punk and good music everywhere I would give this band your attention and pick up some of their tunes, or at least give them a listen or two. Good Pop-Punk isn't non-existent, it's just hiding in our scene waiting for you to find it and here is living proof from myself, laid at your feet (fingertips).

http://carridale.bandcamp.com/album/the-wandering-ep

Recommended If You Like Four Year Strong with softer vocals; Pop-Punk; The Story So Far; Melodic Hardcore

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News