Password

Album Review

Far East Movement - Dirty Bass Album Cover

Far East Movement - Dirty Bass

Reviewed by
Far East Movement - Dirty Bass
Record Label: Cherrytree / Interscope
Release Date: May 21, 2012
Propelled by their number one hit single "Like A G6" featuring DEV, the hip hop quartet Far East Movement (Kev Nish, Prohgress, J-Splif, and DJ Virman) rocketed into the American pop scene in 2010 after many years of hard work and rigorous worldwide touring. The group had previously experienced underground success in the Asian American community and with "Like A G6", FEM became the first Asian-American group to earn a number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States. Dirty Bass features numerous collaborations and while it doesn't offer much in terms of originality, it certainly will please the fans of Korean hip hop and B-Boy culture (Side Note: For those unfamiliar with the B-Boy culture, I highly recommend the documentary film "Planet B-Boy" on Netflix).

One of the more notable collaborations is "Live My Life", which features the vocals of Justin Bieber. The most successful single off of the album so far, it's a typical dance tune that brings in Bieber on the hook. It features some pretty laughable lyrics such as "I've got dough. Who's down to bake?" but the hook is catchy enough to warrant multiple listens, so I'll let that one slide.

The mid-tempo track "Flossy" featuring Canadian singer My Name Is Kay is a welcomed reprieve from the dance marathon on Dirty Bass. The rapping flows well with the song's beat, which showcases a minimalist 808-style with background distorted guitars and smooth strings.

Other high profile guest spots on Dirty Bass include Bill Kaulitz of Tokyo Hotel ("If I Die Tomorrow"), Pitbull ("Candy") and Flo Rida ("Change Your Life").

As a whole, Dirty Bass is a busy album filled with decent dance cuts and the occasional bright guest spot. Many times, the group's rapping skills dwarf in comparison to their guest spots. Not to take anything away from the group, but almost every hook is brought in from an outside singer and makes the band seem more like the "DJ Khaled of the dance pop scene". Nevertheless, if you're looking for club tracks and don't care for introspective lyrical content, you'll find everything you need here to get the party started. They sure have found a way to captivate a strong worldwide fan base with a blend of hip hop culture and dance music. In doing so, Far East Movement show no signs of slowing down, determined to take their movement worldwide.

Recommended If You LikeK-Pop; PSY; DEV; Taio Cruz; Big Bang; G-Dragon; B-boying

Track Listing1. Dirty Bass feat. Tyga
2. Live My Life feat. Justin Bieber
3. Where The Wild Things Are feat. Crystal Kay
4. Turn Up The Love feat. Cover Drive
5. Flossy feat. My Name Is Kay
6. If I Die Tomorrow feat. Bill Kaulitz
7. Ain't Coming Down feat. Sidney Samson & Matthew Koma
8. Candy feat. Pitbull
9. Fly With U feat. Cassie
10. Change Your Life feat. Sidney Samson & Flo Rida
11. Little Bird
12. Live My Life - Party Rock Remix feat. Justin Bieber & RedFoo of LMFAO
13. Show Me Love feat. Alvaro
14. Basshead feat. YG
15. Shake Ya Rump
16. Lights Out (Go Crazy) feat. Junior Caldera & Natalia Kills

www.fareastmovement.com
This review is a user submitted review from hiddentrack. You can see all of hiddentrack's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
09:58 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
these guys make me embarrassed to be part asian
10:36 AM on 09/25/12
ChaseTx
I'm not a fan of club music at all, but I need to check out that track with Crystal Kay ()...
11:11 AM on 10/20/12
brokencyde
I regret making this my username...
User Info.
These guys are just a bad version of Big Bang.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos