Password

Album Review

Basement - colourmeinkindness Album Cover

Basement - colourmeinkindness

Reviewed by
Basement - colourmeinkindess
Record Label: Run For Cover
Release Date: October 23, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
There is a long running joke/discussion among my best friends about how close Mineral's guitar licks and tone don't stray far from that of Temple of the Dog. It's a stretch, but it brings up the point that we often try to dice apart whole genres so much, and I often wonder why. Is it because there is a distinct sound to the music at hand? Or is it really to separate something you love from something you hate, but secretly love due to popular opinion? Is everything that's played on the radio awful? No. Given better timing and marketing, some of underground's most notable acts could have been bigger than they turned out to be.

When listening to Basement's colourmeinkindness, there are just as many references to indie, grunge and alternative shoegaze as there are allusions of radio's top 40 at its height in 1996 - a scientific fact, not to be discredited. The album should spawn a Balance and Composure co-headline aptly titled: I Love the '90s. Like Separation, the tracks not only flow well, but each song builds another reference note to the thesis: from the Enigk croon on "Covet" to the You'd Prefer an Astronaut inspired intro and opening verse on the closing "Wish." As much as the closer pulls from the space-rock, 120 Minutes favorites, it shifts into a chorus made for the days of early TRL's youthful angst. At its strongest core, there's a confidence that's glazed across each track. The angry attack of riffs on "Spoiled" against the striking snare kills contemporary radio rock, and the heart-racing brace of "Control" is one of the best examples of the shift in the album's dialogue. The record's ballad, "Breathe," is tucked perfectly mid-album to calm some of the adrenaline between Side A and Side B (see also: Poison the Well's "Horns and Tails" and Jimmy Eat World's "Drugs or Me").

In 1997, Blur released "Song 2" as a single off their self-titled album. It was a satire of American grunge and alternative. The irony is that it's probably Blur's most well known track worldwide. In 2012, Basement are the next UK band to write a better American "radio rock" record than if you took the top-selling tier of "cock rock" bands and molded a supergroup with a VH1 reality show. The structure and pay-off of the opening "Whole" says more about the downfall of contemporary mass marketed rock music than any Grammy upset ever will. As "Comfort" blends into the album's closing statement - and one of the best bookends of the year - I think of Cut Teeth, O'Brother, Sainthood Reps and all the other contemporary underground forces who've made a bolder statement in a shorter time than most of the tracks covered on a Punk Goes Pop compilation. Seriously, have you heard Attack on Memory this year? Celebration Rock? Where is the hi-fi love for such lo-fi gems.

From the Deftones to the Foo Fighters. From Make Do and Mend to Title Fight. We as listeners put too much emphasis on where a band stands, connected to their sound, connected to whether or not we think they've "sold out" or "took a mainstream route with their new material." Even Kurt Cobain was inspired by The Pixies and R.E.M. as much as he was by Bob Dylan. The Melvins pulled inspiration from their adolescent attachment to KISS. On colourmeinkindness, Basement formulated a near perfect combination of grunge cult and top singles of the '90s. It should make you aware of the cancer we all carry that is our elitist nature. The band not only wrote what should go down as the best swan song of 2012, but a reminder that a really good fucking rock song, is a really good fucking rock song - no matter how you tend to define it.

Reminds Me OfBalance and Composure's Separation; Sunny Day Real Estate's LP2; Silverchair's Frogstomp; HUM's You'd Prefer an Astronaut

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
09:41 AM on 09/17/12
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
the more I hear about this album, the more excited I get to check it out. Awesome review
12:08 PM on 09/17/12
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
Cannot wait for this album, just from the few songs that are already released i can tell its going to be so good
04:27 PM on 09/17/12
TheBaroness
User Info.
Oh god I want this
04:37 PM on 09/17/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
"A really good fucking rock song, is a really good fucking rock song."

Word.

I'll definitely be sure to check this one out. I'm a child of the '90s and that era's radio rock gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve. It sucks that that stuff has to get labeled "guilty pleasure" or whatever. I refuse to do it, because bands like Better Than Ezra and Toad the Wet Sprocket and Everclear and lots of others people probably outwardly laugh at but secretly enjoy are just as responsible for shaping my tastes as Slint and Fugazi and Husker Du. I miss the days when bands could be popular without sounding focus-group bland or completely dunderheaded.
05:55 PM on 09/17/12
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
Always disappointing when you anticipate an album knowing it will be the last thing they're going to release. Still, excited to hear it!
07:00 PM on 09/17/12
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
User Info.
HUM's shout out boosted my anticipation to a level I thought I had already reached. I can't wait for the vinyl to get here.
08:16 PM on 09/17/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
"A really good fucking rock song, is a really good fucking rock song."

Word.

I'll definitely be sure to check this one out. I'm a child of the '90s and that era's radio rock gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve. It sucks that that stuff has to get labeled "guilty pleasure" or whatever. I refuse to do it, because bands like Better Than Ezra and Toad the Wet Sprocket and Everclear and lots of others people probably outwardly laugh at but secretly enjoy are just as responsible for shaping my tastes as Slint and Fugazi and Husker Du. I miss the days when bands could be popular without sounding focus-group bland or completely dunderheaded.

This is the album that made me realize that. Not as good as Attack on Memory IMO but I think I may like it a bit more. Also, maybe it's because I've been listening to a ton of Built to Spill and SDRE lately. Idk.
08:19 PM on 09/17/12
drewinseries
User Info.
This is the album that made me realize that. Not as good as Attack on Memory IMO but I think I may like it a bit more. Also, maybe it's because I've been listening to a ton of Built to Spill and SDRE lately. Idk.
Great review, really excited to get this in the mail. This seemed to be posted real early before the release, any reason for that?
09:23 PM on 09/17/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Great review, really excited to get this in the mail. This seemed to be posted real early before the release, any reason for that?
i don't know if I actually care about whether or not a review comes around the release date anymore. for two reasons: when I feel it I write it. after about 2+ weeks with this record, I felt it. the other being, sometimes I'll have an idea for a review and just set it aside going "well, the release date is a ways away" and not get around to reviewing it.

then again, I do things so much differently than anyone else. don't know why Tate hasn't fired me yet. haha. #loosecannon
09:35 PM on 09/17/12
drewinseries
User Info.
i don't know if I actually care about whether or not a review comes around the release date anymore. for two reasons: when I feel it I write it. after about 2+ weeks with this record, I felt it. the other being, sometimes I'll have an idea for a review and just set it aside going "well, the release date is a ways away" and not get around to reviewing it.

then again, I do things so much differently than anyone else. don't know why Tate hasn't fired me yet. haha. #loosecannon
As I reader I actually really appreciate having something to read that was written when ready. My question was mere curiosity.

Also, did you have the vinyl for this?
05:42 AM on 09/18/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Really great review, words cannot explain how stoked I am for this...and I have yet to figure out where I'll even be able to find it.
05:57 AM on 09/18/12
drewinseries
User Info.
Really great review, words cannot explain how stoked I am for this...and I have yet to figure out where I'll even be able to find it.
http://runforcoverrecords.com/store/...tu rers_id=19
07:14 AM on 09/18/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
07:51 AM on 09/18/12
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i think you and your friends need more jokes. or maybe more boobs. idk. jk.

obvs, i haven't heard this record. i love "i wish i could stay here," it was a record that didn't do anything as drastic as define a point in my life, but it is certainly a record i keep on the limited space on my phone reserved for subway ride-music. it had so much wonderful youthful fuck-all and so much hidden melodies that the overt ones just sort of slapped you with love.

but i guess i won't really ever understand, mostly because of my ignorance and live-in-the-fucking-moment laziness, the insistence on where something comes from, or how. i guess it's just because, obvs this music came from somewhere. everything creative is a reaction. while i don't disagree that it's always awesome when someone says, "oh you like that? you'll LOVE this!" but idk, when it shows up over and over in a review, it kind of turns me off. esp. when a song is only described by another obscure song.

that being said, im excited about this album because i am still excited about their last album. and i look forward to connecting with it in an even more profound way. because you don't spell color with a "u" unless you've really got something important to say.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos