AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Contest News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Contest
Inside AP.net

AP.net Contest: Kevin Devine Ticket Giveaway (Day 1)

Posted by: Drew Beringer (09/17/12)
Kevin Devine will be playing a show at the Madison Theatre in Rockville Centre, NY, on September 26th and we are giving away 2 tickets for the show every day this week (a total of 10 tickets). To win your pair today, just tell us what your favorite Kevin Devine song is and why and I'll pick a winner by the end of today. Make sure to follow our Facebook and Twitter pages, as the next opportunity to win may pop up on our socials. Good luck.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
12:37 PM on 09/17/12
mattpuch21
Puchinator
User Info.
My favorite song is Another Bag of Bones because it helped me get through a time where I was questioning what I personally believed and all of that fun crazy stuff. It definitely opened me up to a different style of thinking.
12:49 PM on 09/17/12
ferrisstryker
User Info.
My favorite song is Cotton Crush. This song really speaks to me, and about the pressure that we impose upon ourselves to live up to our full potential. There is no greater curse than potential, and knowing that someone as successful as Kevin Devine can feel the same sort of pressure (be it from parents, friends, girl/boyfriends, etc.) truly makes me feel human. That, and his and Jesse's voices together are phenomenal!
01:16 PM on 09/17/12
Andrew.Salzillo
User Info.
Brothers blood -

The song gives chills, I know nothing about his family history but I'm assuming this is directly related to something his brother has done -- to me tough it is just about how something haunts him, something that he has no control over, something hereditary...it holds him back from thinking clear - he cant do anything without blaming this haunting, this haunting is the reason why he fails and why he's scared ... I listen to the song and I can feel this pain and the screams, scary shit. Kick ass song
01:49 PM on 09/17/12
cassieee
Forreal
User Info.
Ballgame, no question. I feel like it's a perfect description of growing older and finally looking back in retrospect at the decisions you've made and realizing that you were a fucking idiot when you were younger and that the world absolutely doesn't revolve around you despite how much it feels like it does.

Additionally, one of my friends is currently serving in Afghanistan with the Marines, in a unit where two of his fellow soldiers were actually killed last week. He's only 21 and he's doing more for our country than I ever will. Ballgame is able to articulate my feelings better than I ever will be.
02:10 PM on 09/17/12
RobTalksInMaths
Goodbye Tiger: Who Do You Call Home
User Info.
A bit of a standard choice, but I'd have to say 'Ballgame' is my favorite Kevin Devine song. I feel that song wraps up the struggle of growing up, especially in your early twenties. It's beautifully self-conscious, heartbreakingly depressing, and when played live, it's an experience in and of itself (partly because he changes certain lyrics depending on his outlook & mood). It's about feeling stuck in your ways and not knowing how to change / escape yourself. It's about reconciling your own worries and concerns against the problems of world at large - and how sometimes, that can make you feel petty & worthless. It's basically the cycle of depression in just over 5 minutes.

I love this song because I am the kid with his guitar so drunk & anxious. I can't say I'm an alcoholic, but I can absolutely relate to the feeling of being helpless. Of being so self-doubting that you don't know which way is up. And when I put on this song, I'm reminded that those feelings can be overcome so long as we continually strive to be better than we were yesterday.
02:24 PM on 09/17/12
yourfavweapon88
User Info.
My favorite Kevin Devine song is Murphy's Song. The song is beautiful and tells a fascinating story of a sailor and his dog which everyone can relate to. The lyrics are captivating and paint a brilliant picture of this loner losing his only friend a pup named Murphy. It really shows how being a journalism major has made Kevin Devine one of the best lyricists of my generation. But I must admit my favorite part of the song is the whistling Kevin rips into. My girlfriend and I always try to nail it when the song comes on on shuffle but are no match for Kevin's skills. I had the privilege after seeing Kevin numerous times to hear the song live finally this past year and it floored me. I stood there in awe with a big smile on my face the performance which I will post below made my love for the song double. That is why Murphy's Song off of Brothers Blood is my favorite Kevin Devine song.

02:25 PM on 09/17/12
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
My favorite song is 'Cotton Crush'. The reason is because the first time I saw Kevin Devine was in 2004 at a show with John Nolan at The Downtown in Farmingdale, NY. During 'Cotton Crush' Jesse Lacey jumped onstage wearing a Spiderman costume and playing the song with Kevin.
03:00 PM on 09/17/12
jnkbondtrader
User Info.
has to be "you'll only end up joining them". sometimes it feels so good to just give up the fight and wallow in sadness, especially in the aftermath of death. you know you've got to move forward, but staying the same can feel so good. so you seek out easy relief in your bad habits.

it ends with a brilliant little nugget of cautionary wisdom from the protagonist's brother, "don't kill yourself to raise the dead / it never works, you'll only end up joining them". it's such simple advice, but after the song is over you still aren't sure if the protagonist will follow it.
04:42 PM on 09/17/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
My favorite K-dev song is definitely Ballgame, mostly because it was one of the first songs I learned to play with my friends and remains one of our favorites. It became a staple cover at shows for us, the melody and lyrics ("And there's a clamp around my chest that tightens every time I lapse into another sorry story") make it one of my favorite openers of all-time, the emotion really seeps through.
05:27 PM on 09/17/12
spike339
Do You Even Lift?
User Info.
Cotton crush, since thats the song that introduced me to him and his music when he played Dock street with Jesse Lacey, a venue in my hometown of staten island that i have always played at with my band. That whole album helped me through alot of breakups and sad times.
05:32 PM on 09/17/12
greymoon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My favorite Kevin Devine song is "all of everything erased". When I listen to that song it paints such a visual picture of the price that we will pay for the destruction of the planet and that no matter what the planet is resilient and will build and regrow with or without us. As much as I love the song it struck such a cord with me that when my wife was pregnant I could not listen to the track because of the line "i saw my lover chased, through fields of sugarcane, she clutched her belly close, and whispered, "keep us safe", they ground her down to dust, no more miracles today". I even drew an interpretation of the scene when she was pregnant (2011).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...266859_o.jp g
06:28 PM on 09/17/12
Theow593
User Info.
^^awesome
07:05 PM on 09/17/12
Andrew.Salzillo
User Info.
Cotton crush, since thats the song that introduced me to him and his music when he played Dock street with Jesse Lacey, a venue in my hometown of staten island that i have always played at with my band. That whole album helped me through alot of breakups and sad times.

Hell yeah, dock street, missed that Christmas show and regret it all the time, show is infamous now in the SI scene - what band you in man?
07:58 PM on 09/17/12
yufli
...rook takes knight
User Info.
My favorite Kevin Devine song is "all of everything erased". When I listen to that song it paints such a visual picture of the price that we will pay for the destruction of the planet and that no matter what the planet is resilient and will build and regrow with or without us. As much as I love the song it struck such a cord with me that when my wife was pregnant I could not listen to the track because of the line "i saw my lover chased, through fields of sugarcane, she clutched her belly close, and whispered, "keep us safe", they ground her down to dust, no more miracles today". I even drew an interpretation of the scene when she was pregnant (2011).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/...266859_o.jp g
dude that was special. and nice drawing!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests