Username
Password

Comments: Page 10
Displaying posts 135 - 139 of 139
12:13 AM on 09/29/12
Robb
ism
User Info.
See, I'm kind of the opposite with you on The Killers: as much as I dig their more "superficial" stuff (I think Hot Fuss is still a much more dense album than people give it credit for, but as far as the songs go, it's definitely more grounded in hooks than Sam's Town was), I prefer their grand statement, larger-than-life classic rock n roll. Sam's Town had always been my favorite record by them until this one. I think the largest difference for me is actually how much better Flowers is as a singer now. He killed it on Sam's Town's best tracks (ESPECIALLY "Why Do I Keep Counting," which just kills), but the complaints about him straining were justified. I don't get that at all here.
Yeah, I think calling Hot Fuss "superficial" doesn't nearly do it justice; I just couldn't think of a better term. It's just got this sense of urgency that I didn't get from the albums that followed.

On my commutes today, I listened to Battle Born into Hot Fuss. Brandon's voice is jarring, the difference. I like both, because his voice fit both albums equally well.

Unless people really want the flatter Brandon from Hot Fuss, I don't see how his voice can be a complaint for Battle Born. I can understand a lot of other complaints, but his voice is the best it's ever been.
10:51 AM on 09/30/12
tacotaco
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I also started an account just because of this review. This is the definitive Killers album for me. The musical growth is evidential and amazing. Flesh and Bone is as great an opener as Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, if not better. Runaways is one track that needs to be re-listened at least once or twice to be appreciated. The Way It Was is a track with a gorgeous hook, Here With Me, is this catchy little thing, with a ludicrous chorus. A Matter Of Time sounds catchy as hell. Those whoa-ohs in there were fun to sing along to. Deadlines and Commitments is synthetic goodness, that instantly blew me away and reminded me of Hot Fuss. Miss Atomic Bomb is a perfect sequel/prequel to Mr. Brightside. They did that one right. The Rising Tide, again sounds very Hot Fuss. Heart of a Girl is a little romantic's day dream, while From Here On Out is the most fun on the album. Then we dive into Be Still. Very easy to fall asleep to. Then, the title track, has such a delicious riff, that explodes into more synth, then acoustic guitar, it's all over the place, but it's executed well. To me, this album sounds like Hot Fuss, 'cept with big boy pants. I 100% agree with this review, and don't understand how it can be viewed as "bland" or "boring." A very exciting release. Excellent review sir. I've been listening to this album nonstop since I got it on release day. Easily my AOTY.

Edit: Also, it's pissing me off how at metacritic this is the lowest rated Killers album. It at least deserves a 70. Not a 64. That's even lower than Day & Age.
10:20 AM on 10/13/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I also started an account just because of this review. This is the definitive Killers album for me. The musical growth is evidential and amazing. Flesh and Bone is as great an opener as Jenny Was a Friend of Mine, if not better. Runaways is one track that needs to be re-listened at least once or twice to be appreciated. The Way It Was is a track with a gorgeous hook, Here With Me, is this catchy little thing, with a ludicrous chorus. A Matter Of Time sounds catchy as hell. Those whoa-ohs in there were fun to sing along to. Deadlines and Commitments is synthetic goodness, that instantly blew me away and reminded me of Hot Fuss. Miss Atomic Bomb is a perfect sequel/prequel to Mr. Brightside. They did that one right. The Rising Tide, again sounds very Hot Fuss. Heart of a Girl is a little romantic's day dream, while From Here On Out is the most fun on the album. Then we dive into Be Still. Very easy to fall asleep to. Then, the title track, has such a delicious riff, that explodes into more synth, then acoustic guitar, it's all over the place, but it's executed well. To me, this album sounds like Hot Fuss, 'cept with big boy pants. I 100% agree with this review, and don't understand how it can be viewed as "bland" or "boring." A very exciting release. Excellent review sir. I've been listening to this album nonstop since I got it on release day. Easily my AOTY.

Edit: Also, it's pissing me off how at metacritic this is the lowest rated Killers album. It at least deserves a 70. Not a 64. That's even lower than Day & Age.
Thanks for the compliments!

And really, Metacritic frustrates me for that reason. All of The Killers albums are in the 60s, and that's because half of the reviews are by people with no business writing reviews of mainstream rock records. These are the same people that slaughtered Sam's Town upon release and are realizing, like this guy here, that they were wrong six years after the fact. As my brother said, "People like this guy are the reason mainstream rock sucks. Just when a good band was finally emerging and tried to wow us all, all the critics bashed them."
08:42 PM on 10/29/12
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
Thanks for reading. Out of curiosity, what do you dislike about Sam's Town?

But I definitely agree that Flowers sticks out from this generation of rock stars. His voice is terrific and he's a charismatic guy, to be sure. I think he sometimes does let his indulgences get in his way. This album is almost entirely free of that, but it's happened before. Songs like "Joy Ride" and "Swallow It" definitely fit into that category for me. Sam's Town was indulgent too, but more in a really big, bombastic, "I don't give a fuck what you want my band to sound like" kind of way.
Sorry I don't get on AP.net nearly enough :).

I think I just liked Hot Fuss a lot, and I felt a lot of the indulgences got too far. Sam's Town was a progression towards more of a rock feel, straying from the club-esque music in Somebody Told Me or Midnight Show. There was almost no keyboard. He tried too hard maybe. I also didn't really appreciate the gang vocals either on Uncle Johnny or Sam's Town. And it didn't feel like too complete of an album. I need to listen to it again. I definitely liked it better than Day and Age.

Oh man, Losing Touch is maybe number 1 on a list of songs that start out cool then get weird and bad.

This is why Battle Born is so good. It brings all his good and none of his bad. Such a great album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos