phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
This is, like, 2.5 too generous.
10:30 AM on 09/18/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I need to listen more but I don't think they will top Sam's Town in my book.
11:00 AM on 09/18/12
Rawrz
User Info.
Great review. Ive been seeing this get ripped apart all over so im glad to see someone think highly of it. Not really getting how people think its boring or dull and then praise Sam's Town when a lot of whats on Battle Born sounds like it could have been on that album.
11:01 AM on 09/18/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
This is, like, 2.5 too generous.

Like I said, there will always be detractors. But a 12 track album where eight or nine of those songs are fantastic and the other three or four are still pretty damn good is a lot higher than a 6.5 for me. Sorry.

I need to listen more but I don't think they will top Sam's Town in my book.

Really just a matter of preference. I like this album's flow and structure more. And Sam's Town has always been my favorite album of theirs, but I never really liked the "Enterlude"/"Exitlude" structure. Furthermore, this is the first Flowers album where I like or love all of the tracks. The other four all have at least one weak point for me.
11:04 AM on 09/18/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Great review. Ive been seeing this get ripped apart all over so im glad to see someone think highly of it. Not really getting how people think its boring or dull and then praise Sam's Town when a lot of whats on Battle Born sounds like it could have been on that album.
Yeah, it's basically Sam's Town plus Flamingo with some Hot Fuss sprinkled around. Anyone who has liked The Killers before should dig this, and anyone who hasn't shouldn't be expecting that to change on album number four.

Don't know where you're seeing this ripped apart though. Most of the big publications have given it positive reviews, with five 80s over on metacritic. The Spin write-up was fantastic, even though I don't normally like them at all.
11:05 AM on 09/18/12
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I do like this album but it does blend together a lot more than previous albums. Giving it more listens though.
11:11 AM on 09/18/12
guitarguy211
The Starship Renegade
User Info.
Looking forward to listening to this more.
11:12 AM on 09/18/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
Such a bland album. It's not horrible, it's just not very good either.
This is how I'm feeling. I love The Killers, I'm just not digging this. I wasn't really a huge fan of Flamingo after a few listens and this feels like a rehash of that. Maybe it'll grow on me.
11:13 AM on 09/18/12
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
Excellent review!
11:21 AM on 09/18/12
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
Very well written review. I agree with your closing statement they are the best rock band out right now. I think they will be one of the few that will still be known in the future from the '00 decade.
12:20 PM on 09/18/12
OldSchoolReason
User Info.
I really wanted to like this, but it sounds to me like another b-sides record.
12:26 PM on 09/18/12
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Wow, going to have to check this out.
12:51 PM on 09/18/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Normally this band is pretty bad, but this album is as bland as bland can be.
12:56 PM on 09/18/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Normally this band is pretty bad, but this album is as bland as bland can be.

How can it be bland when I just spent 1,300 words laying out the musical and thematic nuances? I'd take this comment more as laziness on your part as a listener and an eagerness to make a snap judgment than as any reflection of the band or the record.

If you're going to keep commenting on my stuff, you had better come in with better fuel than what I've seen so far.
01:01 PM on 09/18/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
How can it be bland when I just spent 1,300 words laying out the musical and thematic nuances? I'd take this comment more as laziness on your part as a listener and an eagerness to make a snap judgment than as any reflection of the band or the record.

If you're going to keep commenting on my stuff, you had better come in with better fuel than what I've seen so far.
I'm fine if you like it, I just think it wasn't interesting at all. And yes I do have pre-bias, but I was going to have that anyways no matter what. No one thinks "wow their last few albums were awful, but I just know the new one will be amazing!!!"

Besides, it's not like I've never been surprised by a band (All Time Low for example, sure the new song wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. Who ever would have guessed that?)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos