Username
Password
All Time Low News - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 83 of 83.
10:33 AM on 09/22/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Wow, so they're selling more than some other crap bands and are playing at bigger concerts, big whoop. I guess popularity must = talent, huh?

What are the chances that Katy Perry or One Direction plays at bigger concerts than even that? Are you going to suggest that their music is better than Blink-182's. If so, then I just might agree with your point.

Again dude, you still havn't answered my question, and again you keep on falling back on top 40/pop music which has always been a seperate entity as they don't write their own songs. How/why do certain bands get popular and bigger than other bands in their respective genres????
11:29 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Again dude, you still havn't answered my question, and again you keep on falling back on top 40/pop music which has always been a seperate entity as they don't write their own songs. How/why do certain bands get popular and bigger than other bands in their respective genres????
"a seperate entity as they don't write their own songs"

This is a laughable sentiment. You know Coldplay, Taylor Swift, fun., Gotye, etc. are all on the top 40? They all also happen to write their songs, except Coldplay might have co-artists.

No, the same principle still applies. Just because a band is famous within their genre doesn't mean they're any better than their peers. Blink-182 got famous because they came out with the right song, the right video, with the right record label, at the right time. Fall Out Boy and Paramore got very famous very quickly, much to do with FBR's influence despite the bands themselves not being very good.

Likewise applies to most if not all famous artists that aren't corporately-constructed boy bands or singing game show winners. If whatever artist didn't discover and mentor Justin Bieber, he would have never been anything more than a youtube star. If Eminem's Infinite Ep wasn't discovered by Dr. Dre, not only would he not have gotten famous, he wouldn't have gotten nearly as much respect or "credibility" otherwise.

Luck and marketing are the keys to the success of an artist. Not talent, though it would certainly help. This applies to all and every genre.
09:18 PM on 09/22/12
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

This is a laughable sentiment. You know Coldplay, Taylor Swift, fun., Gotye, etc. are all on the top 40? They all also happen to write their songs, except Coldplay might have co-artists.

Luck and marketing are the keys to the success of an artist. Not talent, though it would certainly help. This applies to all and every genre.

Don't be a cunt. You used One Direction and Katy Perry in your post before and clearly that's what he was referencing. Don't try and pull up new conflicts cause you can't back up the original one...

And congrats on that last line I've bolded. Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
05:50 AM on 09/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Don't be a cunt. You used One Direction and Katy Perry in your post before and clearly that's what he was referencing. Don't try and pull up new conflicts cause you can't back up the original one...

And congrats on that last line I've bolded. Easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
That was just a short break, the rest of my post continued from into the previous argument, or did you not notice you fucking idiot? And besides, that "top 40 artists don't write their own music" is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

And how is that dumb? Are you saying that all famous bands got that way only because of talent alone? Don't make me laugh.

If you are a very talented band and you make very good songs, but you never advertise, you never play shows, you don't make music videos, you don't get accepted on any label, are you going to get famous? Chances are, no.
07:08 AM on 09/23/12
suckitandsee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That was just a short break, the rest of my post continued from into the previous argument, or did you not notice you fucking idiot? And besides, that "top 40 artists don't write their own music" is easily one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

And how is that dumb? Are you saying that all famous bands got that way only because of talent alone? Don't make me laugh.

If you are a very talented band and you make very good songs, but you never advertise, you never play shows, you don't make music videos, you don't get accepted on any label, are you going to get famous? Chances are, no.

Of course I'm not saying every famous band got that way because of talent alone. Unlike you, I would never write such a retardedly broad statement.

Anyways, you already contradicted your fucking stupidity in the last statement... you start off "if you are a very talented band....". Yet your initial dumb comment was "Luck and marketing are the keys to the success of an artist. Not talent, though it would certainly help." But now you write that very talented bands need marketing and a label to make it big... which is true, a band does need talent first before the next thing can happen. Labels don't just find random artists and go "let's put all our money on this band, just so they can make it big". Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work like that.

But of course, this doesn't point out the entire stupidity of your initial post... you also put "This applies to all and every genre." I've already destroyed your argument enough, so I'm not going to touch this. But there are bands/musicians not listed on this site. You may want to do some research on genres outside of AP.net.
07:36 AM on 09/23/12
Playsw/Squirels
Duckies Rule!!
User Info.

No, the same principle still applies. Just because a band is famous within their genre doesn't mean they're any better than their peers. Blink-182 got famous because they came out with the right song, the right video, with the right record label, at the right time. Fall Out Boy and Paramore got very famous very quickly, much to do with FBR's influence despite the bands themselves not being very good.

Likewise applies to most if not all famous artists that aren't corporately-constructed boy bands or singing game show winners. If whatever artist didn't discover and mentor Justin Bieber, he would have never been anything more than a youtube star. If Eminem's Infinite Ep wasn't discovered by Dr. Dre, not only would he not have gotten famous, he wouldn't have gotten nearly as much respect or "credibility" otherwise.

Alright, Im not going to spend much time arguing with you because you are just radiating arrogance and Im sure you wont change your perspective so this probably will be my only comment to you.

One, you need to learn how to have an argument without being so strident and condescending about everything. The reason I call you arrogant is because its easy to see that you think that you're opinions are 100% fact and that you know more about music than anybody in these arguments.

Two, stop acting like you know what talent is. Ive seen you say so many artists are bad without support to your opinion that its obvious you are just basing your opinions on your own tastes in music. Just because Paramore, Blink, Fall Out Boy, and mainstream artists aren't virtuosic on their respective instruments doesn't make them bad. Hayley Williams is an incredible singer, Travis Barker is an incredible drummer, and all of them are fantastic song writers. That's why all of them are still relevant and not one hit wonders. Im not a fan of Justin Beiber, or his music, but the kid is fucking talented. He's a great drummer, dancer, plays guitar, has a great voice, and can surprisingly rap pretty decently.

As far as your whole luck and marketing are keys to success theory, you can say that about almost any artist ever haha Every band/artist gets some sort of big break. I dont even understand your argument really. So your saying that if Usher hadnt found JB on youtube, he wouldnt be a star? so your saying that he had no talent and Usher simply picked him because he could be marketable? No, he respected his talent and decided to help him out. Kid wouldve eventually been a star. Same with Eminem. Lady Gaga (incredibly incredibly talented) got rejected by L.A. Reid (famous record executive), but she stuck it out and because she was talented (along with being crazy marketable), she eventually blew up. Talent, hard work, marketability, and luck all play a part in success of these guys.

Its hard for me to say and I dont like to judge because I dont know you really and dont know how involved in music are you, but from the outside looking in it really just seems like you dont know a thing about music and dont play instruments really, because if you did you wouldnt be disrespecting so many artists right now. If you dont do anything in music than you have no right to say what youre saying. If you are involved in music and these guys arent very good/ just get lucky breaks, than anybody could do it, so lets see you try to reach their success level...
07:51 AM on 09/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Anyways, you already contradicted your fucking stupidity in the last statement... you start off "if you are a very talented band....". Yet your initial dumb comment was "Luck and marketing are the keys to the success of an artist. Not talent, though it would certainly help." But now you write that very talented bands need marketing and a label to make it big... which is true, a band does need talent first before the next thing can happen. Labels don't just find random artists and go "let's put all our money on this band, just so they can make it big". Hate to break it to you, but it doesn't work like that.

What are you talking about? The whole point of my "if you are a very talented band..." part was to pove my "luck and marketing are the keys to success." My point was, no matter how talented you are, you won't get famous without marketing and luck. Talent is helpful and definitely preferable for a band, but it alone won't bring success.

I probably wasn't very clear the last time and I should have posted this along with the "talented band" section : even if you aren't talented, you can still get really big. Nickelback, or The Fray for example. Yes, I know that a label won't invest everything into a unknown new band, but having a label will make it far more likely that you'll get successful. They will invest something into the new band because if they didn't, they wouldn't accept them in the label.

I listen to plenty of bands/genres outside of ap.net. Why do you think I'm always complaining about the crap bands they always have here?
08:09 AM on 09/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Two, stop acting like you know what talent is. Ive seen you say so many artists are bad without support to your opinion that its obvious you are just basing your opinions on your own tastes in music. Just because Paramore, Blink, Fall Out Boy, and mainstream artists aren't virtuosic on their respective instruments doesn't make them bad. Hayley Williams is an incredible singer, Travis Barker is an incredible drummer, and all of them are fantastic song writers. That's why all of them are still relevant and not one hit wonders. Im not a fan of Justin Beiber, or his music, but the kid is fucking talented. He's a great drummer, dancer, plays guitar, has a great voice, and can surprisingly rap pretty decently.

As far as your whole luck and marketing are keys to success theory, you can say that about almost any artist ever haha Every band/artist gets some sort of big break. I dont even understand your argument really. So your saying that if Usher hadnt found JB on youtube, he wouldnt be a star? so your saying that he had no talent and Usher simply picked him because he could be marketable? No, he respected his talent and decided to help him out. Kid wouldve eventually been a star. Same with Eminem. Lady Gaga (incredibly incredibly talented) got rejected by L.A. Reid (famous record executive), but she stuck it out and because she was talented (along with being crazy marketable), she eventually blew up. Talent, hard work, marketability, and luck all play a part in success of these guys.

Its hard for me to say and I dont like to judge because I dont know you really and dont know how involved in music are you, but from the outside looking in it really just seems like you dont know a thing about music and dont play instruments really, because if you did you wouldnt be disrespecting so many artists right now. If you dont do anything in music than you have no right to say what youre saying. If you are involved in music and these guys arent very good/ just get lucky breaks, than anybody could do it, so lets see you try to reach their success level...
I wouldn't have to be so condescending if people weren't so dismissive. ex: lol wow really? Especially not from people who decided that all of ATL's music was awful without even listening to it. So far, you probably the first one I've had to argue that's given me the least bit of respect and understanding so thankyou for that.

Ugh, if Travis really is really talented, he doesn't show it too often. And still, Mark has a very plain voice and Tom's is just terrible.

I know Lady Gaga is very talented, I actually like her (she was supposedly piano virtuoso when she was younger), however her music isn't very indicative of that. As much as I enjoy her music, she doesn't even have that great of a voice. A highschool choir student can sing better than her or really most mainstream pop acts. Same thing for Justin Bieber (I've actually had to defend his ass after the release of Believe). If he is talented, he doesn't really show it. I don't really find his voice impressive and he doesn't really write a lot of his music. The instruments used in his songs aren't really ever interesting either so what else does he have?

I'm not sure why you are arguing that about talent when I pretty much said the same thing earlier. I said that luck and marketing are what you need, not talent, though talent would certainly help. It's like none of you guys even saw that last bit.

You're right, I shouldn't have been so contemptuous towards so many bands. I really didn't want this argument to be one that was all music encompassing, just one about Blink-182. The reason why this it is no longer a Blink-182 argument is because to this day, I haven't been given one reason as to why they are good at all except that they're "very popular in their own genre."

I've been in music for a long time (at about 4th grade), particularly playing the violin and piano but I have no intention to pursue music. I personally don't think I have much talent in those instruments at all, the only reason why I'm good with them at all is because my mom and dad always made me practice.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums