AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Kevin Devine News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Celebrating Ten Years Of Kevin Devine

Posted by - 05:09 PM on 09/18/12
Kevin Devine will perform three of his albums -- 2002's Circle Gets The Square, 2005's Split The Country, Split The Street, and 2011's Between The Concrete & Clouds, in their entirety, at a special 10th anniversary show at New York's Webster Hall on December 1st. More details in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
05:10 PM on 09/18/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Press ReleaseSeptember 18, 2012 -- Kevin Devine will perform three of his albums -- 2002's "Circle Gets The Square," 2005's "Split The Country, Split The Street," and 2011's "Between The Concrete & Clouds," in their entirety, at a special 10th anniversary show at New York's Webster Hall on December 1. Devine will perform "Circle Gets The Square" solo, as it was originally recorded; and the latter two albums will be performed with the original lineups of his Goddamn Band from each recording. Tickets go on sale this Friday, September 21, at 12:00 noon eastern time.

"Write Your Story Now:
Celebrating 10 Years of Kevin Devine & The Goddamn Band(s)"
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Webster Hall
125 E. 11th Street
New York, NY
phone: 212-353-1600
http://websterhall.com/
doors at 6:30 PM / show at 7:30 PM
tickets: $15.00 in advance / $19.00 day of show
ages 18+

"Circle Gets The Square" and "Split The Country, Split The Street" will both be reissued on vinyl this fall. "Circle..." will see its first vinyl released by Brookvale Records; the release date is September 30, but the full run of 750 copies has already sold out on pre-order. "Split..." will be re-released by Triple Crown Records on November 20 as a double-vinyl package with previously unreleased tracks.

New York native Kevin Devine played in local bands like The Miracle of 86 and Delusion before recording his solo debut, "Circle Gets The Square," via Brooklyn indie label Immigrant Sun Records in 2002. He was just a few years beyond the teenager who went to Lollapalooza in the mid '90s, hurling demo cassettes on stage during Sonic Youth's and Pavement's sets in the hope that Thurston Moore or Stephen Malkmus would check out his stuff, but the album earned Devine comparisons to songwriters like Elliott Smith and Bright Eyes, and he soon signed with Triple Crown Records.

"Split The Country, Split The Street" was his second release for Triple Crown, and followed the breakup of The Miracle of 86, which Devine had continued to front while his solo career started to take off. The album featured full-band rock arrangements, as Devine's more aggressive songs migrated to his solo repertoire.

Devine released two more solo albums, one for Capitol Records and one for indie label Favorite Gentlemen, before signing with Razor + Tie for his latest album, last year's "Between The Concrete & Clouds." By now, Devine was a respected veteran, and earned high praise for songs that Spinner called "politically charged and lyrically savvy." Spin wrote of the album's first single, "Off-Screen": "While Devine coos a phrase about hazy daydreams, Neil Young-style gashes of guitar spike up like stalagmites, ultimately climaxing, after nearly two minutes, in a taut, Nada Surf-ian chorus."

Kevin Devine says of the Webster Hall show, "I'd been trying to find an excuse to commemorate 10 years putting out records, something broad and inclusive, a 'thank you' to our audience. Reissuing 'Circle' & 'Split' this fall took care of that, as by now I don't get to play much of that material out very often; playing Concrete made sense, considering we didn't do a proper record release show for it here, or tour the album as it was recorded. I think it'll be a special night, having everyone who has been involved in one space, something singular & celebratory."
05:11 PM on 09/18/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
So there
05:18 PM on 09/18/12
xBranx
Brandon Pagano / Handguns
User Info.
Wow. Respect.
05:24 PM on 09/18/12
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
nice, will definitely pick up that split the country split the street reissue
05:29 PM on 09/18/12
animefan13LPfn1
I ate a man alive tonight.
User Info.
Yes. Definitely going.
05:37 PM on 09/18/12
zbrmike79
Ran Away From Home
User Info.
Split the Country is my favorite of his, i'll probably have to go to this.
05:54 PM on 09/18/12
ACA
Next Shows: MC Lars @ NYC 11/22
User Info.
This will be the best show of 2012.
06:35 PM on 09/18/12
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
User Info.
Sweet. Would love to see make the Clocks move though
06:59 PM on 09/18/12
Ashur
Shitty musician.
User Info.
I would love to see this.
07:16 PM on 09/18/12
WRLD ART
Kings.
User Info.
Sweet. Would love to see make the Clocks move though

My thoughts exactly.
07:43 PM on 09/18/12
savestheday3x3
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
only a fan of his last 3 albums... id shit my pants if he played those straight through
08:21 PM on 09/18/12
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
Definitely going to this.
08:36 PM on 09/18/12
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Needs a Brother's Blood run-through too regardless of it not being reissued. Still, hell of a show. I can back a set list with "Write Your Story Now", "Guys with Record Collections", "Cotton Crush" (won't make any sense if Jesse doesn't swing out for this), "No Time Flat", "No One Else's Probem", "Buried by the Buzz" and, like half of Concrete.
08:44 PM on 09/18/12
loudasallgetout
Non Registered User
User Info.
That's a workout.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT