Password

Album Review

Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks Album Cover

Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks

Reviewed by
Kate Nash - Made Of Bricks
Release Date: January 8, 2008
Record Label: Fiction
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Kate Nash must have a lot of things going through her brain constantly. It’s the only thing that can explain her debut album, Made Of Bricks, which comes across as both focused and scattered at the same time.

The English songwriter has been compared to Lily Allen for various reasons, including their use of wit and inappropriate language in their lyrics, as well as their London accents. But that’s where the comparisons end, at least for this reviewer. Made Of Bricks features excellent instrumentation and a much more eloquent writing style. Bricks was released in the UK this past summer, as it reached the number 1 spot on the UK charts. Finally making its debut on American soil, you’ll either love Kate Nash or hate her, as this album is bound to very polarizing.

Produced by Paul Epworth, Bricks bleeds with tracks that range from haunting piano pop to energetic tunes that’ll never escape your head. Add a dash of electronica, buzzing guitars, and stellar drumming, and you have yourself a cornucopia of different genres fusing together.

“Foundations,” the first single off the album, blazed all the way up to the number two position on the UK charts. Backed by sharp piano strikes and ridiculously catchy drumming, it’s easy to see why this song is huge over the pond. With a fuzzed out guitar pacing Nash’s quick lipped lyrics, the chorus is overtaken by lush instrumentation. “Mouthwash,” one of my favorite tracks, will cater to those who obsess over Something Corporate, that is, if Andrew McMahon was a female. The chorus is huge, with charging drums and piano keys that float and loop up and down throughout your ear drums.

But not all the tracks are as upbeat as those, as songs such as “Dickhead” and “Nicest Thing” are slower paced, as “Dickhead” carries a bit of a blues vibe to it. “Birds” could be a huge radio hit, as it has a unique way of explaining new love behind a gently strummed acoustic guitar. “Mariella” puts on full display how scatterbrained Nash can be at times, with its quirky lyrics loaded in between hand claps and peppy piano strokes. “Pumpkin Soup” is where the Lily Allen comparisons begin, with its trippy horns and bumping bass drum setting the groove. Bricks end with the bouncy “Merry Happy,” which features some “da-do-do’s” (which everyone loves) and ends with Nash proclaiming “I can be alone/I can watch a sunset on my own.”

Other than for one song and few other snippets, don’t listen to this record thinking you’re getting Lily Allen v2.0, because you are getting something much better. Kate Nash has the voice and tunes to make a splash here in the States. Made Of Bricks is genuinely catchy and satisfying, and not some album coming from a major trying to cash in on the popularity of Feist, A Fine Frenzy, and the like. Kate Nash can stand on her own, and Made Of Bricks is the perfect foundation to what is to be a very promising career.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Play
2. Foundations
3. Mouthwash
4. Dickhead
5. Birds
6. We Get On
7. Mariella
8. Shit Song
9. Pumpkin Soup
10. Skeleton Song
11. Nicest Thing
12. Merry Happy
Produced by Paul Epworth

Buy it now:

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 57
11:09 PM on 01/14/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Enter Drew Beringer.

Great to see a full drewbie review. It's been too long!
07:39 AM on 01/15/08
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
I saw the video for 'Foundations' and instantly fell in hate
07:49 AM on 01/15/08
netzephyr
Thicket Films
User Info.
I bought this for my girlfriend, and, unlikely as it sounds, grew to really appreciate it. It's definitely a grower.
07:52 AM on 01/15/08
Nix Santos
User Info.
She's amazing, I've loved her from the start. Glad she's getting some attention she deserves over here in the US now, too.
08:00 AM on 01/15/08
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
If its anything like Lily, I will love it.
08:03 AM on 01/15/08
rocktwin22
Hey! That's my line!
User Info.
I saw that she was MTV's Artist of the Week last week, which went pretty well since her album was being released last week. I liked her sound, so I may have to give her album a listen. Great review. Very convincing :)
08:11 AM on 01/15/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
she's so pretty.
08:15 AM on 01/15/08
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
Five minutes later and I already don't like her.
08:22 AM on 01/15/08
jerseysbest
User Info.
I've been looking forward to this review. I agree that you will either love this or hate this. Really good review good to have you back.
08:30 AM on 01/15/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
Great vocalist, great review
08:39 AM on 01/15/08
sjb2k1
6-5, still in it baby!
User Info.
"don’t listen to this record thinking you’re getting Lily Allen v2.0, because you are getting something much better."

Very pleased to read that. This CD is incredibly catchy, and Kate Nash deserves proper recognition for it.

And I'm thinking you are right regarding either loving this CD or hating it...I am in the lover category. The copy I have has a hidden track on it called "Little Red," which is probably my favorite song on the whole damn thing...if you haven't heard it, find it and love it.
08:51 AM on 01/15/08
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
"don’t listen to this record thinking you’re getting Lily Allen v2.0, because you are getting something much better."

Disagree with that in every way.
08:51 AM on 01/15/08
matt_rawlings
User Info.
100% Disagree with the review.
08:54 AM on 01/15/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

Very pleased to read that. This CD is incredibly catchy, and Kate Nash deserves proper recognition for it.

And I'm thinking you are right regarding either loving this CD or hating it...I am in the lover category. The copy I have has a hidden track on it called "Little Red," which is probably my favorite song on the whole damn thing...if you haven't heard it, find it and love it.
Yeah, I have Little Red, it's really good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos