Password

Album Review

Sharks Never Sleep - Jawsome Album Cover

Sharks Never Sleep - Jawsome

Reviewed by
Sharks Never Sleep Ė Jawsome EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: April 28th, 2012
What do you get when you combine sharks with pop-punk? Youíd either get a pop-punk band comprised of sharks, or a pop-punk who likes using shark puns in their music. Well, thankfully, the latter is what Michigan pop-punk band Sharks Never Sleep specialize in. Their name is quite clever, because sharks actually donít sleep. If youíre looking for a pop-punk who loves sharks, look no further than this band. Well, I think new EP Jawsome would give it away.

The EP starts off with ďChum Rush,Ē and while itís a bit of an intro, itís a nice one. Musically, itís really nothing special, but lyrically, itís about sharks. Thatís not a surprise, but itís enjoyable. Itís different, so I like it. Vocalist Kevin Kalnasy isnít the best vocalist Iíve heard, but maybe itís due to the production on this EP. I like it, but itís not perfect. If this band actually were signed, and had solid production, Iíd like them a lot more. Thatís not to say I donít like them, but the production really makes or breaks a record for me, and the production is the only thing Iím having a problem with. Thatís not to say the EP itself is bad Ė I actually really enjoy it.

As for the rest of the EP, itís actually wonderful; donít let the shark puns fool you, because there are more than just the joke song titles, and silly puns. Second track entitled ďCasey Anthony,Ē has a rather interesting title, but donít let that fool you. The lyrics actually are quite introspective, and meaningful. That track, and third track ďYou Had Me at PenetrationĒ (I canít believe I just wrote that, because I never thought Iíd say that) are two tracks that are quite short, and pack quite a punch. ďF.F.A.Ē is one of the few tracks that features a bit of screaming to make for some interesting variety. The screams are not half bad, either. However, they donít really do anything to add to the EP, while it is interesting.

Overall, the EPís quite enjoyable, and if youíre a fan of sharks and pop-punk, give this a listen. Itís not the best thing Iíve ever heard, and I think mainly itís due to the production not being that great, but if they could record some good quality tunes, Iím sure theyíd be a lot better. They would sound better, too; I liked the EP, but the production didnít impress me that much. Itís not their fault, Iím sure, but production is important. Also, another interesting thing about this EP is that there are sound clips from TV and movies that are about sharks, and those are fun to listen to, too.

Recommended If You Like Pop-punk and shark week.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Chum Rush
2. Casey Anthony
3. You Had Me at Penetration
4. F.F.A.
5. Refused
6. Glass Shards Are Stuck In My Heels

Sharks Never Sleep is:
Kevin Kalnasy: Vocals/Guitar
Mark Vollmerhausen: Bass/Vocals
Jeremiah "Juice" Cox: Drums/Vocals

www.facebook.com/sharks-never-sleep
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version