AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Skouts Honor - Transitions EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Skouts Honor - Transitions EP

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/20/12)
Skouts HonorTransitions EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: February 24th, 2012

In the last few years, I’ve noticed a bit of resurgence in bands like Jimmy Eat World, Mae, Dashboard Confessional, etc, etc. CA outfit Skouts Honor is one of those newer bands to come out of it. When I first heard their name, I wasn’t too ecstatic about them, but ultimately, it doesn’t matter, because they’re absolutely wonderful. Their brand of pop-punk is quite mellow, but still enjoyable to listen to. They released a handful EPs, but this year, they released Transitions, which is a fantastic EP. It’s not too long, not too short, right in the middle. That’s exactly what I like.

The EP starts off with the title track, ironically, and that’s not a bad thing at all. This band is quite pleasant, honestly; they do have traits in common with bands like Jimmy Eat World and Mae in common. You can easily hear it just from listening to the first track alone, and that’s really what you’re going to hear throughout the whole EP. That’s not to say it’s generic, but it definitely sets the stage. It’s ironic, because a lyric in “Transitions” is “The best is yet to come.” Well, they’re certainly right on that one. There’s also a very interesting guitar “solo” in the bridge, and it’s quite nice.

As for the rest of the EP, this is certainly something you’ve would’ve heard on the radio back in the early 00s. Anyone who’s a fan of that kind of music should really check this out. Second track “Colors and Cadence” is a more pop-punk track, but still is rather mellow. It’s also short and to the point, too, which is quite nice. Third track “Calling Out” introduces a second vocalist, which definitely contrasts with the first one. However, it’s not bad. It does provide some variety, and variety is quite important to me. I want to keep my ears entertained, so variety is always nice. The thing is, this isn’t really anything I haven’t heard before. While it’s not generic, it’s not exactly the most unique EP/band ever. They’re enjoyable, but definitely are not perfect, and that’s expected from bands who only have a handful of EPs out.

”Face to Face” is one of the more enjoyable tracks that also has a much more “pop-punk” feel. This oddly sounds like I Call Fives or a pop-punk band who specializes in “pop,” rather than punk. I love I Call Fives, don’t get me wrong, and this song definitely has a similar vibe, which I like a lot. It’s one of the highlights of the EP, surely. As for the rest of it, it follows the first half. “Bookstore” is an exception, because it has a much more mellow sound to it, even an indie sound, I suppose. It’s really nice.

The only problem I really had with this EP is that it’s rather generic, but not in a bad sense. It’s just a problem because this band does have a LOT of potential, so I’d love to hear a full length from these guys. They’re also a younger band, so I’m not expecting them to be perfect, but I do like their sound, because it is rather different. Regardless, if you’re a sucker for 00s alternative, give this a shot.

Recommended If You Like Mae, Jimmy Eat World, Hawthorne Heights, Dashboard Confessional, Further Seems Forever, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Transitions
2. Colors and Cadence
3. Calling Out
4. Face to Face
5. Bookstore
6. Indication
7. Darker Lights

Skouts Honors is:
Stephen Mathews
Nathan Looney
David Whitehouse
Chris Amnesty

www.facebook.com/skoutshonor

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums