Password

Album Review

Everything and Between - Contradictions EP Album Cover

Everything and Between - Contradictions EP

Reviewed by
Everything and BetweenContradictions EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 11th, 2012
I’ve been using Absolutepunk.net for about five years now, and sometimes, I’ll find a band I absolutely adore on the site. New Jersey indie/progressive band Everything and Between is one of those bands I’ve found. I was quite interested in their RIYL, so I gave them a listen. Let’s just say I was very impressed, and even more, because they’re such a young band. They only have a single EP under their belt entitled Contradictions, and it’s a fantastic one at that. Right off the bat, I have to say this band is a rather unique, and I haven’t heard too much like them.

The EP starts off with the title track, “Contradictions,” and out of the 7 songs on the EP, this is the shortest at 3 minutes. It immediately opens with a slow guitar riff from guitarist Mike Mazza with vocalist Justin Fernandez softly singing his first few lyrics. I really like his voice because it’s quite distinct. The production on this EP is also fantastic, too; it’s really impressive how crisp and clear the EP sounds. It almost sounds as if Fernandez and the rest of the band are playing in the same room. Lyrically, it’s very somber, and melancholy. I like the lyrics of this EP because they’re written very well, and the music itself also does fit the lyrics. Next track “City” is about five minutes long, but it doesn’t really feel like it. I absolutely love the guitar work on this track (as well as the whole EP). Fernandez has a bit of a shout or yell on this track, too. It sounds really cool, and provides a bit of contrast to his softer. However, the emotional in his voice is present no matter how he’s singing. Like I said, I really do like the guitar work on this track. It sounds a lot like Brand New and softer Title Fight on this track, and the whole EP. Third track “Goodman’s Crossing” is another fantastic track, too, and this whole EP is just one big highlight. This is seriously one of the best bands I’ve found in a long time. A label like No Sleep Records or Pure Noise would be happy to have a band like this. It starts off rather slowly, but then about a minute in, Fernandez’s voice kicks in. This track has some of my favorite lyrics from the on it, including the chorus. The last two tracks “Basement” and “Mother” are two very interesting tracks. The former is a bit more aggressive, and the latter is a much more acoustic-laden track. “Mother” is a fantastic track, and mainly its lyrics I enjoy. It talks about how the writer loves his mother, and how his mother loves him. Anyone with a mother should be able to appreciate this song.

There are a few bonus tracks as well, which are acoustic tracks of the last two tracks, and wow, these are amazing tracks. “Mother” is even more emotional than the original track when it’s acoustic. Fernandez’s voice is so lovely, it’s not even funny. “Basement” is another fantastic track as well. Overall, however, this EP is brilliant. It’s really unique, really captivating, and honestly, nothing I’ve really heard too much. This is a band anyone should check out; I absolutely adore this band.

Recommended If You Like softer Title Fight, Brand New, Moving Mountains, Balance and Composure, etc.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Contradictions
2. City
3. Goodman’s Crossing
4. Basement
5. Mother
6. Mother (acoustic)
7. Basement (acoustic)

Everything and Between is:
Justin Fernandez - Guitar / Vocals
Mike Mazza - Lead Guitar
Matt Gooney - Drums
Kyle Donovan - Bass

everythingandbetween.bandcamp.com
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
05:38 PM on 09/25/12
JustinEAB
User Info.
Thank you so much man! This review is great and recording this EP was fun. Although, it was only done in about 8 hours so the production of it wasn't TOO great, but good enough to get it out. My voice isn't really in tune for most of the songs though, which I'm really bummed about but I make up for it on the acoustic tracks. Thank you so much for writing this review!
05:48 PM on 09/25/12
justbradley
User Info.
Thank you so much man! This review is great and recording this EP was fun. Although, it was only done in about 8 hours so the production of it wasn't TOO great, but good enough to get it out. My voice isn't really in tune for most of the songs though, which I'm really bummed about but I make up for it on the acoustic tracks. Thank you so much for writing this review!
You're welcome, Justin! I had a blast writing it, actually. I noticed your voice wasn't too in tune, but the acoustic tracks do showcase how fantastic it is, so I think that does make up for it. That's why I put in the acoustic tracks, too. Well, all but "Contradictions." I think those acoustic tracks do the EP justice, too. The production is still really good, despite that it's not the best. Production always makes or breaks a band for me, and the production on here I actually really was impressed by. Overall, I was really impressed, and I completely stand by the 90% rating.
06:49 PM on 09/29/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
Dig it. solid review.
08:21 PM on 10/12/12
Aday59
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Mother" truly tugs at the heartstrings. Justin Fernandez has an amazing voice - i can listen to him forever!
10:25 PM on 10/13/12
JustinEAB
User Info.
"Mother" truly tugs at the heartstrings. Justin Fernandez has an amazing voice - i can listen to him forever!
Thank you so much! It really means a lot. Mother is personally my favorite song too and thank you for the compliment!
10:09 PM on 11/12/12
iBreatheRevenge
User Info.
Found Contradictions on AP. Solid EP! Really dig this sound and the lyrics especially. I'd love to see you guys play
05:09 PM on 11/19/12
JustinEAB
User Info.
Found Contradictions on AP. Solid EP! Really dig this sound and the lyrics especially. I'd love to see you guys play
Thanks so much dude! We are playing with Alan Day, Seahaven, and Citizen on December 14th at the Canvas Clash!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos